Starting the journey into really understanding the trading of sports markets

The sport of kings.
jkirley

Afternoon,

Firstly, thank you to everyone on here who posts their knowledge and wisdom to help others. Someday I hope to have half as much knowledge as some of the people on here.

My question., I would really love how to trade the horse racing/pre and in race. Now much questions is, some of the automation/servants/new files that came out are simply too advanced for my current knowledge and skillset. When you started on your journey of knowledge, did you start scalping etc etc, My point is, how did you become educated enough that you can modify files etc etc. I am committed to go on this journey of learning, but would love to hear from an experienced guy his starting point.

Thank you guys.

John
ANGELS15

I'm no expert but what helped me was to watch Peter Webb's videos on youtube. Use search terms like 'creating automation'. Creating a 'bot', simple scalping. You will quite quickly find videos aimed at newcomers that explain what the software can do and show you step by step how to create simple automation. Follow along and create the bots just as Peter does and then test them with £2 stakes. This may hep you develop ideas for your own automation.

I must stress that the automation demonstrated is to show what the software can do and to teach you how to automate your ideas. The ones demonstrated would not necessarilly be profitable used randomly. You would need to know which markets to apply them to. But there are clues about that in the videos and as you expriment also from looking through the forums on here.

Also what will help is if you have some ideas about what you're good at. You can then develop a strategy based on that. For example if you're a good judge at certain sports like football, tennis or racing you may be able to spot value. You may spot a bet that's 20s on the exchange that you believe will be shorter later in the event. It would be fairly simple to create a basic automation to back at those odds and offer it at shorter odds in play.

Good luck
Kai

Great title, I think that's the right mental approach right off the bat.

There's been a couple of similar threads very recently so have a look if you haven't already, people mainly discussed on what the best starting point was.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19255

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19313
ShaunWhite

I'm no fan of scalping as a starting point. It's a baptism of fire, lots of information to absorb and lightening responses otherwise it's tick-tick-tick-tick-boom (as the song goes) and the small gains are lost, plus more.

For a complete beginner (no gambling experience or city trading knowledge etc) I'd say learn the ropes on a more sedate market than horses, maybe football or tennis. Give yourself the time to absorb what's happening.

As for learning, be picky about who you listen to or read, but aside from the basic mechanics, rememeber that's only how they do it. The goal is to find a method that suits your temprament, available time and interests. Eg there's no doubting that Peter is extremely profitable and talks a lot of sense (usually ;)) but much of his approach is informed by his interest in specific sports, and backed up by vast numbers of hours involved in > 200,0000 markets. Other traders might not have any real interest in sport and perhaps come from a more technical background, so would favour a more quantative approach. .....and then there's all the people inbetween.

Pick your battle, play to your strengths and choose your weapon.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”