How many scalping opportunities are there on workdays?

The sport of kings.
SigmaDraconis

How many scalping opportunities are there on workdays? Yesterday the prices were just bouncing around even in the handicap races. I couldn't find even one scalping opportunity during the whole day.
BetBuddy

What type of scalping ?

You don't actually need the price to move for certain scalps.
Derek27

I find scalping opportunities appear out of the blue but they are few and far between during the week. Low-grade racing isn't suitable for scalping because of volatility, high class racing can be too congested to get money through, but there is sometimes an in between where prices remain steady with money getting matched.
SigmaDraconis

I thought the price had to stay fairly stable and just move up and down maybe one tick every now an then. I have scalped when the price didn't move at all. Got matched first on the lay-side and then on the back-side. They seem to so rare though.
Derek27

SigmaDraconis wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:49 pm
I thought the price had to stay fairly stable and just move up and down maybe one tick every now an then. I have scalped when the price didn't move at all. Got matched first on the lay-side and then on the back-side. They seem to so rare though.
Some of the big Australian tracks such as Randwick and Rosehill still offer great scalping opportunities where the price barely moves but large chunks of money get matched on the back and lay side, but you need to be aware of the turnover charge rules to avoid paying it.
Emmson

No better place to scalp than I have seen than cricket test matches, between balls, between overs, between sessions, between days.
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm
No better place to scalp than I have seen than cricket test matches, between balls, between overs, between sessions, between days.
I'll have to take a look at cricket some time, I've noticed you got some good payouts on it. It would probably help if I understood a bit more about the game though.
Hepburn

Im not scalping currently but:

I found Monday to thursday ok for directional scalping on the hr markets depending on the volume, and avoiding low % volume on a selection. I tried to automate it but would get caught out when will hill radio gave out a horse tip so the price would drop. Couldnt quite fathom out best place for my stop so i moved onto another strategy.

Late evening greyhounds with good volume can directionaly scalp like a dream, but days are hit and miss.
eightbo

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:29 pm
Emmson wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm
I'll have to take a look at cricket some time, I've noticed you got some good payouts on it. It would probably help if I understood a bit more about the game though.
+1 Derek.

Thank you Emmson this might be what I've been looking for.

As others have said, I've found Risk/Reward for non-directional scalping is not justified in most daily HR markets due to volatility but given the right range and £ amounts at prices I find I'm able to do it prudently by offering 1-3 ticks away from the current price with the aim of catching the extremes of smaller spikes. Average trade would be open for less than 5s but I like taking half out in that timeframe then letting half run if I think the price has potential to run away in my favour.
The Silk Run

SigmaDraconis wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:59 am
How many scalping opportunities are there on workdays? Yesterday the prices were just bouncing around even in the handicap races. I couldn't find even one scalping opportunity during the whole day.
The Crack Cocaine of trading. Chasing the dragon ...
eightbo

I don't see any reason why you can't become a profitable directional scalper, popping in and out of the market in a way that compliments a larger move e.g. entering after a pullback levels out, looking to ride the next leg of the move.
Dallas

Peter posted a detailed blog a few days ago on scalping which is well worth a read
https://www.betangel.com/blog/betfair-s ... trategies/
Kai

SigmaDraconis wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:59 am
As Dallas says, have a search on the topic of scalping on the Bet Angel Youtube channel, there are many videos explaining different approaches, because there are many ways to get scalps through a market.

I still very much enjoy scalping in general, just not on the racing markets, since you don't need to have much of an opinion about a market and can just rely on your reading of the order flow. Not sure if anyone mentioned it already but in general it's best to look for markets/prices with lower volume of money but higher fillrates for scalping, otherwise probably not worth doing.

Maybe the most important thing that I had to learn specifically with scalping is to stay disciplined with my staking execution and not be greedy, if you manage to get a few scalps don't drastically increase your stakes thinking that the next scalp is going to work just because the last few did, that's how you can easily ruin a lot of good work on that market and make a mess of things, that's one of the potential triggers that can easily lead to a tilt as well. Averaging your prices and managing multiple positions is a very advanced skill, best to keep it simple to start off. Best of luck.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”