On course Bookie Prices

The sport of kings.
ShaunWhite

There's a difference between the prices on offer across the ring pitches depending on the individual bookies attitude to risk, information, and what they might have in their satchel. That's why some bookies are successful and some go under. Unless someone is continually monitoring those prices and reporting some sort of average then I'm not sure any source of info will be accurate enough to constantly find you a tradable difference between their prices and the exchange. What you actually need is to find out who's queuing up at a pitch with 10grand in their hand rather than knowing the prices before or after that money has gone down.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShaunWhite

Atho55 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:50 pm
"I think it`s a fact" is not confirmation of it being fact and neither is "Agreed" to an I think response
Reminds me of the saying that 'you're entitled to your own option but you're not entitled to your own facts'
Atho55

And not answered the question either
Euler

Atho55 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:50 pm
"I think it`s a fact" is not confirmation of it being fact and neither is "Agreed" to an I think response
I've worked with Bookmakers on their course side operations and how they can best manage risk, so I'm very aware of the link between the two.
wearthefoxhat

During Cheltenham, Matt Chapman showed one of the racecourse bookies computers, with all their +/- figures for that race. (Pinno)

It reminded me of someone I know who runs pitches in the south west and their set up, exactly the same, but with all the Betfair prices alongside for comparisons. They primarily use it to form a book and when necessary hedge their liabilities. On the days he hasn't had time to research the days' runners, he uses the prices for tissue prices, and takes it on from there.

I remember he moaned (a lot) when all the pitches had to upgrade to a LED display, cost a pretty penny, at the same time Betfair really took off and the value of a racecourse pitch dropped through the floor.

pitch.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atho55

I stumbled across this so was looking for some clarity on how it all worked if this has now been implemented. It seems to partly contradict the general concensus

https://goodwinracing.co.uk/are-rca-goi ... o-operate/
wearthefoxhat

Atho55 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm
I stumbled across this so was looking for some clarity on how it all worked if this has now been implemented. It seems to partly contradict the general concensus

https://goodwinracing.co.uk/are-rca-goi ... o-operate/

They wanted to stop the betfair price being linked directly to the pitchside computer and displayed accordingly. (an infringement) - also a tad lazy on the part of the bookie.

An extra computer, with Betfair prices, is still being used by some, not linked/displayed to the pitch computer directly.
Lutruwita

weemac wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:40 pm
If you were thinking you might see the bookie price change and then immediately leap onto betfair to bet before the oods could catch up, I'm afraid you're about 18 years late with that idea.
Worked until 2018 in Australia!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”