UK, USA and Australian horse racing markets.

The sport of kings.
peterb1129

Hi All,

I ma in the process of learning to trade horse racing pre-off, I am currently practising on the Australian and US horse racing markets, however I was wondering if this a good idea. Is there a noticeable difference between how the above markets and the UK racing markets behave? I know the liquidity in the UK is a lot more, wondered if I was in for a shock when the UK horse racing markets return and it acts nothing like the Aus and US markets, would people carry on practising on the Aus and US horse racing or wait until the UK racing returns and get used to those markets?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Peter.
Dallas

Similar thread here
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20831
ShaunWhite

It's more of a crossover than being totally different and a weak UK race will be smaller than a strongish Aus race. And then you might have a huge UK festival race that behaves unlike 95% of other UK races.

Why do you think the real prize is UK racing? Is it that the time suits you better or that you see 'pros' talking about trading the UK stuff? I know the bigger volume UK races allow you to stake bigger but that's not an issue when you're starting out and might not be for years, and does that make up for the fact that there's 4x or 5x as much Aus racing as there is in the UK, all year round. Or if you're a night owl then why not trade the first few hours of Aus, then get some sleep and get up for UK racing starting at 2pm.

What I'm trying to say is that despite appearances there's more than one way to do this and what suits one person won't necessarily suit another, it's only when you've got some experience and have tried a bit of everything that you'll find what's suits you. That might be because of the time or simply because you somehow get on better with one thing than another. Or you might even find you give up manual trading altogether and go for automation, that way you can trade everything 247365 and not have to worry about all the psychological obstacles manual traders have to battle with.

For now don't stress about there being a prescriptive way to learn, just do as much of everything as you can at this time and enjoy it.
Derek27

Perhaps have a dabble with all of them, see which ones you feel more comfortable with and invest more substantial time on them and gain experience, before shopping around again.
peterb1129

Hi Derek, Shaun,

Thank you for your replies, it's greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Peter.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”