Aussie racing pics

The sport of kings.
Lutruwita

Yes. That does occur, but generally not for 3/3 tracks. In Tasmania we get RSN until 1pm then Radio TAB. I wonder if that will make a difference.

There's been a few times previously where the radio has been behind the TV for a day or so. I remember a little period in maybe August 2018 when it went on for days.
Lutruwita

Radio TAB (QLD) is operating as normal (ahead of Sky). Who knows what was happening at RSN.
gazuty

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 am
Sky ahead of AM radio so far today! What is going on? :shock:
Are you listening to AM radio or are you listening to DAB?

My AM radio is about 3 to 4 seconds in front of Sky Racing 1 on the Foxtel feed and is clearly ahead of the in players.

Of course relying on the radio means relying on the accuracy of the race caller (and sometimes .... ). But, you are experienced and I understand it would be factored in to your strategy.

Obviously no track siders with the lockdown in Vic for that last at Sandown, the winner was obviously in the middle and I am sure experienced track siders would have pushed it to 1.01 instead of the 1.15 it finished at. And I am guessing the caller might night have been at the track? because he called the photo without saying what had happened with the push in the middle. Often times they say "photo, but I reckon X has got up there".
Lutruwita

We don't have DAB in Northen Tasmania.
Last edited by Lutruwita on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
gazuty

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:17 am
We don't have DAB in Tasmania.
oh, ok, so relayed and rebroadcast radio

So is it 1008 out of Launceston? - http://www.radioheritage.net/Australia/amtas.asp
Heisenberg

Do we have any experts in streaming and the various protocols used on here? I'm working on a theory here but lack the technical expertise to know whether or not what I'm proposing is possible. Was going to list it on Upwork but don't want it up there for the entire world to find in a Google search!
The dog of ry

when working in WA a couple of years ago I was installing Sky set top boxes into radio towers for remote areas. All of the metro feeds were slower than Sky also, makes me wonder how they will deliver DAB in cities and if they will actually turn off AM eventually?

Old mate with the fast feed may have killed everything by then
gazuty

Slightly different subject, for an AFL match the "live vision" on my phone is about 20 seconds behind the live play, and I guess that might be even further behind say Foxtel (which would be behind free to air).

Be interesting if someone goes trackside one day with a radio to check it all out - and interesting if there are still track siders making a dollar out the caper.
Last edited by gazuty on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lutruwita

It's only early, but markets seem to be performing much more normally than yesterday. The real-time streamers don't seem to have the same advantage as the market is only reacting simultaneously or after the AM call. Betfair is even sometimes suspending after the conclusion of the race on the radio.

Very odd. I can't explain it. Let's just see how this one plays out today.
Last edited by Lutruwita on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anbell

I was talking to a guy from RSN in Vic a couple of weeks back about one of their satellites having a recent increase in the delay. He checked it out for me, and then went and fixed it.

He told me that it was now 2 secs behind HQ which he was happy with.
Anbell

Here's the direct quote:
"We visited the (rural Vic) transmitter yesterday and carried out some maintenance.

The satellite signal is now only 2 seconds behind the main program - an excellent result."
The dog of ry

Was probably one of my installs
gazuty

Anbell wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:49 am
Here's the direct quote:
"We visited the (rural Vic) transmitter yesterday and carried out some maintenance.

The satellite signal is now only 2 seconds behind the main program - an excellent result."
Yes, its the links, protocals and retransmissions that slows things down behind the original broadcast.

Really good investigative work there Anbell.
Lutruwita

Anbell wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 am
I was talking to a guy from RSN in Vic a couple of weeks back about one of their satellites having a recent increase in the delay. He checked it out for me, and then went and fixed it.

Interesting. Thankyou. Could the satelite have also slipped for Radio TAB and been rectified?

I don't really see a problem so far today, but it was getting gradually worse this month (I first had an average but tricky Saturday 1 August) before yesterday which I found a shambles.

After 60,000 races you generally get a feel for what is normal and what isn't. This is even if you can't explicitly quanitfy it.
Anbell

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:02 am
Anbell wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 am

Interesting. Thankyou. Could the satelite have also slipped for Radio TAB and been rectified?

I don't really see a problem so far today, but it was getting gradually worse this month (I first had an average but tricky Saturday 1 August) before yesterday which I found a shambles.

After 60,000 races you generally get a feel for what is normal and what isn't. This is even if you can't explicitly quanitfy it.
That's true, but remember BF recently changed their protocols/practices as well

Return to “Trading Horse racing”