Who is missing trading?

The sport of kings.
Derek27

I've taken the night off Auzzie racing to get pissed, and I'm already missing trading.
TraderFred

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:29 am
I've taken the night off Auzzie racing to get pissed, and I'm already missing trading.
You sound like a hardcore addict, Derek. You need some patches to help with trading withdrawals !

They say absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder, though I’m not really missing it too much yet.

Though to be fair, the weather has been good pretty much since the lockdown began, and April ( Aintree aside ) is my least favourite month for trading anyhow. I’ve often made a loss in April anyway, especially if making a mess of the Grand National.

Will start to feel odd if it carries on through May/June and we start losing Guinneas, Chester, York, Epsom, Ascot etc. ( I know Newmarket and Chester already abandoned.)

I was always fairly hopeful of a May resumption, though racing seems to have such a bad name at present with all the finger pointing going on and PR disaster of the aftermath of Cheltenham I’m not so sure now. Though other countries seem to be getting ready to race again, even France are hopeful of racing in May, so fingers crossed we get going soon.
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:29 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:

and nothing wrong with missing trading, in fact I bet there's 95% of people right now dreading going back to work so to enjoy what you do is a great thing
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:56 pm
I've quite enjoyed the break. I'd sort of forgotten what it was like.

I've generally had jobs that have involved a lot of work and commitment, so it's probably the first time in my career when I've not had much to do.

But that said, if retirement is like this I'm not ready for it.

Official retirement age will probably be 70+ when the dust settles.

Under normal conditions, the option to travel around freely will break things up, family probably flown the nest, so it will be slightly different to this. A lot will depend on how tough mentally someone is and the ability to remain compos mentis. (Health over wealth will win the day)
ruthlessimon

I'm certainly missing the GB & IE markets, they're just such a special set of races ..unlike Aus :roll: I hate Aus lolz. Massive respect to the guys who can seamlessly transition!
TraderFred

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:47 pm
I'm certainly missing the GB & IE markets, they're just such a special set of races ..unlike Aus :roll: I hate Aus lolz. Massive respect to the guys who can seamlessly transition!

Same here, ruthlessimon. I respect (envy!) the traders who can switch seamlessly from trading UK racing to trading races from US, AUS and SWE. Though not as much as I envy the guys who can automate the whole lot and sit outside in the sunshine sipping cold lemonade whilst their bots coin it in !

I cant even trade the Irish. I gave it a go after the UK racing stopped, got my ass kicked, then luckily for me the next day it all got called off anyway.

Looks slightly more positive for a restart this morning. The odds on June 1st or before have shortened quite significantly, Germany and France set to race soon, could be looking at a mid to late May/ early June start. Though it won’t be the full cards that we are used to. Have heard talk of one or two 10-12 race cards per day to start off with. Which will obviously be better than nothing.

You would imagine for Royal Ascot to take place there would have to be some racing in May, so they can get some trial races run etc.
ShaunWhite

TraderFred wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:28 am
Though not as much as I envy the guys who can automate the whole lot and sit outside in the sunshine sipping cold lemonade whilst their bots coin it in !
You forget the thousands of hours getting to that position and countless more hours every week maintaining it while the markets evolve. I'd put the time getting sucessful automation going and learning to read any market cold at about the the same effort, unless you got very very lucky and just stumbled on a winning automated strategy. And then when you can cold read you can trade anything under the sun, but automation might take a whole new approach for every sport or geographic. It always looks easy when you're not doing it, everyone earns their drink. :)
TraderFred

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:40 am
TraderFred wrote:
Though not as much as I envy the guys who can automate the whole lot and sit outside in the sunshine sipping cold lemonade whilst their bots coin it in !
You forget the thousands of hours getting to that position and countless more hours every week maintaining it while the markets evolve. I'd put the time getting sucessful automation going and learning to read any market cold at about the the same effort, unless you got very very lucky and just stumbled on a winning automated strategy. And then when you can cold read you can trade anything under the sun, but automation might take a whole new approach for every sport or geographic. It always looks easy when you're not doing it, everyone earns their drink. :)
That shatters my illusion, ShaunWhite.

I often picture you lying in a big hammock sipping on a fruit cocktail, scrolling through the forum on your iPad, occasionally logging into Betfair to check on your ever increasing balance !
wearthefoxhat

TraderFred wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:59 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:40 am
TraderFred wrote:

I often picture you lying in a big hammock sipping on a fruit cocktail, scrolling through the forum on your iPad, occasionally logging into Betfair to check on your ever increasing balance !
No, here you go...he's using one of those new hanging cocoon thingmebobs....

cocoon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

TraderFred wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:59 am
The upside is that you can do those hours when it suits you so I always work at night, sleep in the morning and every afternoon and evening (esp in the summer) is for doing other things. I tried manual trading for ages but always got frustrated when it ended for the day and I wished there was more and equally frustrated that I had to be at the desk by say 1pm.
TraderFred

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:04 pm
[quote=TraderFred post_id=219327 time=<a href="tel:1587707986">1587707986</a> user_id=22652]
The upside is that you can do those hours when it suits you so I always work at night, sleep in the morning and every afternoon and evening (esp in the summer) is for doing other things. I tried manual trading for ages but always got frustrated when it ended for the day and I wished there was more and equally frustrated that I had to be at the desk by say 1pm.
[/quote]

Interesting, Shaun. It seems that life isn’t a bed of roses for the automated trader either.

When do you check your results etc? Are you not tempted to watch in the afternoon when the racing is going on, or do you wait until it is all over then go through the data at night?

Also, if you don’t mind my asking, are your bots mainly pre race, or in running, or both? And if both, is one more profitable than the other? And as a follow up to that, do your bots actually trade (as in back and lay for a locked in profit or loss), or do they search for value and bet to open positions trying to take advantage of situations where value arises?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”