Why do I keep losing on the first two or three races of the day (pre-race)?

The sport of kings.
Osstrader

It's not affecting me mentally, or holding me back in any way, it's just neutral, but, nevertheless, I can't seem to nip this pesky habit in the bud...

I'll see how it plays out, but I think I might have to drop stakes for the first few races of the day, which doesn't sit well. Maybe it should sit well. I don't know...
Derek27

Osstrader wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 am
It's not affecting me mentally, or holding me back in any way, it's just neutral, but, nevertheless, I can't seem to nip this pesky habit in the bud...

I'll see how it plays out, but I think I might have to drop stakes for the first few races of the day, which doesn't sit well. Maybe it should sit well. I don't know...
I always drop stakes on the first race of any meeting to see if it's trading any differently than normal. Markets vary from day to day, meeting to meeting and yes, I've been caught out a few times on the first races.
Jukebox

If you ran a racecourse and had to plan the schedule for your 8 or so races for the day you'd naturally plan to have your better quality races somewhere around the middle of your day with some lesser quality races interspersed between them - your first race might well be the lowest quality race you have to offer for the day.

If there are two or three meetings starting this afternoon the first two or three races you are attempting to trade are usually among the very lowest quality races of the day.

Generally it pays to pay attention to the quality of the race you are trading. Group 1 races don't trade in the same way as Novice and Apprentice races.
Euler

I'll also throw in that the money has many hours to arrive on the first race, but remaining races the money arrives over a short time period.
ANGELS15

Ususally the 1st couple of races on a card are maidens which may not be as easy to trade as later handicaps.
jamesedwards

Euler wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:36 am
I'll also throw in that the money has many hours to arrive on the first race, but remaining races the money arrives over a short time period.
This. The first few markets act very differently to most as the money is down so much earlier. The first race tomorrow (13:30 at Beverly) already has 4x the matched volume of all the other races.
Osstrader

Euler wrote:
That's so obvious, I'd like to delete the whole thread out of sheer embarrassment :oops:

Many thanks, sir (and everyone else who posted)!
Osstrader

ANGELS15 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 pm
Ususally the 1st couple of races on a card are maidens which may not be as easy to trade as later handicaps.
Maidens are my bread and butter :D The 'later handicaps', I leave for people far better than me, unless they look attractive in some way... ;)
wearthefoxhat

Osstrader wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 pm
Euler wrote:
That's so obvious, I'd like to delete the whole thread out of sheer embarrassment :oops:

Many thanks, sir (and everyone else who posted)!
I thought is was a good observation as it's something easy to forget. It could also be the basis of a strategy just focussing on 1 race a day.

The 2nd/3rd races maybe impacted by those chasing their losses, so the market doesn't behave the way it's expected to.
wearthefoxhat

Also, a couple of golden nuggets in this video (posted 3 years ago!)

Peter Webb - Bet Angel live stream - Talking trading strategy, software, Betfair and everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48bYcYxzAQ&t=2442s
wearthefoxhat

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 am

Peter Webb - Bet Angel live stream - Talking trading strategy, software, Betfair and everything!

Just ordered "The Idiots Brain" by Dean Burnett.... £3 off Ebay... 8-)
Osstrader

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:13 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:

I'd wager that, on average, Dean Burnett makes 3 quid every time the 'idiot' buys his book, and, the recipient of his 'esoteric' knowledge loses an order of magnitude more than they paid for the book.

I haven't read it, though, so what do I know?

However.. the wager stands...
wearthefoxhat

Osstrader wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:19 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:13 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:

I'd wager that, on average, Dean Burnett makes 3 quid every time the 'idiot' buys his book, and, the recipient of his 'esoteric' knowledge loses an order of magnitude more than they paid for the book.

I haven't read it, though, so what do I know?

However.. the wager stands...
Maybe that's how the idiot brain works...I'll let you know when I've read it.
firlandsfarm

Is there a possibility you start out too positive maybe having cleared a profit the day before and it takes a couple of races to bring back tighter discipline?
auto-matt

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 am
Osstrader wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 am

I always drop stakes on the first race of any meeting to see if it's trading any differently than normal. Markets vary from day to day, meeting to meeting and yes, I've been caught out a few times on the first races.
What is the main cause for markets to change characteristics so frequently? Automation? Can never remember it being like that around 5/6 years ago, or maybe I was just oblivious to it as I was just starting out

Return to “Trading Horse racing”