Why do I keep losing on the first two or three races of the day (pre-race)?

The sport of kings.
wearthefoxhat

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 am
Also, a couple of golden nuggets in this video (posted 3 years ago!)

Peter Webb - Bet Angel live stream - Talking trading strategy, software, Betfair and everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48bYcYxzAQ&t=2442s
Just ordered "The Idiots Brain" by Dean Burnett.... £3 off Ebay... 8-)
Osstrader

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:13 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:

Peter Webb - Bet Angel live stream - Talking trading strategy, software, Betfair and everything!

I'd wager that, on average, Dean Burnett makes 3 quid every time the 'idiot' buys his book, and, the recipient of his 'esoteric' knowledge loses an order of magnitude more than they paid for the book.

I haven't read it, though, so what do I know?

However.. the wager stands...
wearthefoxhat

Osstrader wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:19 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:13 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:

I'd wager that, on average, Dean Burnett makes 3 quid every time the 'idiot' buys his book, and, the recipient of his 'esoteric' knowledge loses an order of magnitude more than they paid for the book.

I haven't read it, though, so what do I know?

However.. the wager stands...
Maybe that's how the idiot brain works...I'll let you know when I've read it.
firlandsfarm

Is there a possibility you start out too positive maybe having cleared a profit the day before and it takes a couple of races to bring back tighter discipline?
auto-matt

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 am
Osstrader wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 am
It's not affecting me mentally, or holding me back in any way, it's just neutral, but, nevertheless, I can't seem to nip this pesky habit in the bud...

I'll see how it plays out, but I think I might have to drop stakes for the first few races of the day, which doesn't sit well. Maybe it should sit well. I don't know...
I always drop stakes on the first race of any meeting to see if it's trading any differently than normal. Markets vary from day to day, meeting to meeting and yes, I've been caught out a few times on the first races.
What is the main cause for markets to change characteristics so frequently? Automation? Can never remember it being like that around 5/6 years ago, or maybe I was just oblivious to it as I was just starting out
Derek27

auto-matt wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:42 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 am
Osstrader wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 am
It's not affecting me mentally, or holding me back in any way, it's just neutral, but, nevertheless, I can't seem to nip this pesky habit in the bud...

I'll see how it plays out, but I think I might have to drop stakes for the first few races of the day, which doesn't sit well. Maybe it should sit well. I don't know...
I always drop stakes on the first race of any meeting to see if it's trading any differently than normal. Markets vary from day to day, meeting to meeting and yes, I've been caught out a few times on the first races.
What is the main cause for markets to change characteristics so frequently? Automation? Can never remember it being like that around 5/6 years ago, or maybe I was just oblivious to it as I was just starting out
I would put it down to the multitude of people and different behaviours trading the markets, people smashing in favourites and following up when beaten, following jockeys on a roll, etc.
Tuco

...it's all random - do it long enough and you won't lose on the first two or three races of the day, you'll lose on the last two or three races of the day!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”