Levy changes

The sport of kings.
Naffman

If crowds aren't back to full capacity in the next 6-9 months then racing in this country is in significant trouble
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:26 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:50 pm
.... when they scraped the 9% betting tax.
Remembering the 9% tax made me wonder how old my oldest spreadsheet was. Ah the good old days of staking £109, at a price you can understand, and using actual folding money. How quaint.

1998 is a lot redder than this bit, 9% and the bookies 30% overround did me in eventually. Somehow this file didn't end up in the trash, along with my big idea to make a living from gambling at the time. Idiot :D Thankfully the millenium bug panic made it easy to get my old job back again, tail between my legs obv.

Get in there Splendid Thyne. I bet that was a good Saturday night !
Screenshot_1.png
I worked for Ladbrokes when it was 10% - much easier to work out for the average punter

I always remember the massive % of punters who paid their tax before. It showed the eternal optimism of gamblers.......this one is DEFINITELY a winner
Anbell

Naffman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 am
If crowds aren't back to full capacity in the next 6-9 months then racing in this country is in significant trouble
I would guess that is at least 20.0 chance
Naffman

Anbell wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 am
Naffman wrote:
Not if you look at the govt. stance and the incompetence of the BHA
Anbell

Naffman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 am
Anbell wrote:
Naffman wrote:
I'm saying there's only a 5% chance (IMO) that crowds are back to full capacity within 9 months (on a permanent basis).
sionascaig

Anbell wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am
Naffman wrote:
Anbell wrote:

I'm saying there's only a 5% chance (IMO) that crowds are back to full capacity within 9 months (on a permanent basis).
Should also be worried about the number of owners that drop out due to v poor prize funds. If they don't drop out altogether then good chance they will reduce number of horses in training.
Naffman

sionascaig wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 am
Anbell wrote:
Naffman wrote:

Should also be worried about the number of owners that drop out due to v poor prize funds. If they don't drop out altogether then good chance they will reduce number of horses in training.
Sorry I thought you meant 5% chance that we are not back to full capacity by then.

Exactly, owners are leaving in their droves, you just have to look at the sales yesterday and the low prices they're selling for too, big 12 months for racing in this country
Euler

Surely too many races on most of the time though?

Some days you are just flipping from one poor quality race to another with tiny field sizes in remote parts of the country. Not very inspiring stuff!
Naffman

Euler wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

Some days you are just flipping from one poor quality race to another with tiny field sizes in remote parts of the country. Not very inspiring stuff!
Guess it'll just be the sheikh of Dubai vs the king of oman then :lol:
LeTiss

Euler wrote:

It's a wonder places like Cartmel survive. They wouldn't without the levy board

It's in a beautiful part of the country. Can you imagine how much that land would be worth for development?

It's like licencing chains who are desperate to bulldoze unprofitable pubs, because they'll make a fortune selling the land for housing
Naffman

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:07 am
Euler wrote:

It's a wonder places like Cartmel survive. They wouldn't without the levy board

It's in a beautiful part of the country. Can you imagine how much that land would be worth for development?

It's like licencing chains who are desperate to bulldoze unprofitable pubs, because they'll make a fortune selling the land for housing
I heard Chester put £20k of their own money into prizemoney, probably an extra £5k for all the staff that are still working there so it's no wonder they've said we're not racing next year unless crowds are back, I can imagine a lot more racecourses are in a similar boat
Anbell

Euler wrote:

You are not supposed to be here!
Euler

I'm back now, I've had my long weekend.
Anbell

Naffman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:45 am
sionascaig wrote:
Anbell wrote:

Sorry I thought you meant 5% chance that we are not back to full capacity by then.

Exactly, owners are leaving in their droves, you just have to look at the sales yesterday and the low prices they're selling for too, big 12 months for racing in this country
That's the least of it. They shut down Australia because there were 50 cases per day. The idea that there will be full capacity events anywhere within a year seems very unlikely to me.
Naffman

Anbell wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:33 am
Naffman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:45 am
sionascaig wrote:

That's the least of it. They shut down Australia because there were 50 cases per day. The idea that there will be full capacity events anywhere within a year seems very unlikely to me.
I've long slated V'Landys but at least he ensured the racing industry had plenty of money to support everyone.

Wagga on Saturday has more money than most of the meetings in the UK this week - that says it all really

Return to “Trading Horse racing”