The fat fingers thread

The sport of kings.
Derek27

It's funny how a fat-finger trade is often followed by another one.
PDC

That chart is very misleading. The time between the initial fat finger to the end of the chart was only a matter of seconds, maybe about 10, though the chart makes it look like the first fat finger was way before the start of the race, not just a matter of seconds, so there was a bit of a scramble of people/bots sorting out positions I would think causing what looked like multiple fat fingers.
eightbo

The x-axis is activity not time
PDC

eightbo wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 pm
The x-axis is activity not time
That is incorrect the x axis is time but it isn't to a set scale, y axis is price and z axis is volume
eightbo

if a market has no further bets matched, the chart would remain the same if it was inactive for 2.4 seconds or 2.4 years. Therefore we can say the x-axis is not time. Time is a measurable unit, I don't think it can be without a 'scale', I welcome you to point me to the source of your info though if I'm wrong
PDC

eightbo wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 pm
if a market has no further bets matched, the chart would remain the same if it was inactive for 2.4 seconds or 2.4 years. Therefore we can say the x-axis is not time. Time is a measurable unit, I don't think it can be without a 'scale', I welcome you to point me to the source of your info though if I'm wrong
Why can we say the x axis isn't time because of your point about 2.4 seconds or 2.4 years?

As I said, the time axis (x axis) isn't to a set scale, that doesn't mean though it doesn't represent time. As for it being activity, you haven't even defined what activity is, but save yourself the time (excuse the pun) as my source of info is Betfair themselves and their charts that clearly state that they represent 'Price/Volume over time'.

Case closed and we didn't even have to call in Sherlock :lol:
Price volume over time.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eightbo

activity means a matched bet placed on the selection in question, i'm not going to argue over something trivial so i'll have to disagree with you and leave it at that, from my experience betfair employees vary in their usefulness and correctness. What's important is that one understands how the chart is produced (updated when there's new activity). To say it looks misleading implies you don't understand what's going on.

that's just my take, nothing personal
PDC

Nothing personal taken.

What you define as activity is actually what is being plotted against the z axis, volume. Each bar represents the amount of activity, activity being the amount of money matched.

It is clearly stated on every Betfair chart and within Bet Angel itself that these charts are plotted as Price/Volume over time. That is an undisputed fact no matter if you wish it to be different.

I am not sure what your point is about the Betfair employees as that has no relevance.

Your statement, 'To say it looks misleading implies you don't understand what's going on' is completely incorrect as well. To be able to say (correctly) something is misleading you have to know what is going on or else you would not know it was misleading in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_z1DBTK0Vw

:o
eightbo

Adorable! Here, I'll explain for you:
To say the chart is 'Price/Volume over time' isn't incorrect, it just lacks accuracy

Time is an attribute of the activity (volume/price), one which is not describable from the chart as the x-axis isn't set to a consistent scale and is therefore a misrepresentation of data.

You can never describe the points on the chart properly, the difference between any two points on the red line has the potential to be any length of time -- could be 2.4 seconds or 2.4 years. If you understand this concept of potential, the chart cannot be misleading.

If for some reason you feel the continued need to tell me about how right you are, please do so in my inbox
CallumPerry

I thought I'd have a break from children and petty squabbling being the summer holiday but obviously not :lol:
eightbo

And yet somehow our squabbling contributes more to the thread than your comment ;)

Don't forget we're traders, we have to be right! Otherwise we just might end up profitable... :P
CallumPerry

Love that reply! :lol:

And you are completely correct when you say I NEED to be right all of the time. It's like you actually know the real me :lol: Ok I'll sod off this thread until I have something useful to contribute lol
eightbo

34k volume fat finger a few seconds before post on 2nd fav, 1st fav was 1.5 the whole time :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Why are you blushing, it wasn't your £34K was it? ;)
eightbo

CallumPerry wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 pm
Love that reply! :lol:

And you are completely correct when you say I NEED to be right all of the time. It's like you actually know the real me :lol: Ok I'll sod off this thread until I have something useful to contribute lol
Only just seeing this! Of course I was just joking around but you are definitely looking at things the right way, with that mindset you put yourself ahead of many others 8-)
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm
Why are you blushing, it wasn't your £34K was it? ;)
wish it was! the horse only went and won :twisted:

Return to “Trading Horse racing”