WINNING TICKS

The sport of kings.
portuguesetrader

HiCommunity,

In your strategies how many ticks do you usually try to catch?
I know it depends on several indicators, but your usual?
1? 2? 3? 6?

I try to get maybe 4 or 5, but usually only get 2, or so.

And the rest of the community?
Squirtle

This is something Peter talks a lot about in his course. It depends how volatile you expect the market to be. Most people are safe taking one tick out of a market but some markets just don't move that much.
portuguesetrader

Is is true,
The market volability is decisive on your strategy to decide how many ticks you are going to expect.

How do you predict that volatility? I tend to look for the betfair graphic and look for major moves and high volatility?
Are there any other analyses do you make to predict volatibility?
bugrit

The number of ticks u can expect has a hi correlation to the odds range, 11/8 into 5/4 equals 6.25 ticks on BF, where as 10/3 into 3/1 is only 3.33 ticks.
Both these moves are 1 fractional odds move, and fairly equal in percentage chance move, (42.1-44.4 and 23-25)but the shorter 1 moves nearly twice as much on betfair! :shock:
Add in the greater greened up profit of catching each move (2.77 ticks vs 0.83 ticks) and u can see why most of the action and money is in the shorter prices. :D
jamesthetrader

I change my style depending on the market, the shorter ones go all over the place so its not uncommon to get swings of 5 and more. the higher priced ones are possible to swing, but i prefer to nick a tick or 2 from them as it can go wrong so quick!!

Its all on how you read the paticular market and what you expect it to do :)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”