What's different?

The sport of kings.
SBW077

Reading through some of the forums it seems I'm not the only one having a dreadful week. Why would the markets be any different from normal?

Volume doesn't seem so poor, but the usual reliable patterns just aren't there if that makes any sense.

Is it a case of early flat season indecision on the part of big punters, or is the evening racing drawing away some of the daytime liquidity?
andyfuller

I personally think this week has been quite good. Today should have been awesome but thanks to myself I am very disappointed with my efforts.

Overall this month has been my best ever.
GPalmer

I've had one of my best days ever (although not been trading long & still got massive learning curve to climb).

Sandown 1.25 Won £1.55
Sandown 2.00 Won £6.52
Sandown 3.10 Won £1.35
Sandown 3.45 Won £3.53
Sandown 4.20 Won £6.15

The above was varying bets of £80 & less. Strange thing is I'm panicing as much now as when I lose in case I screw it up or maybe it was just down to luck (no pleasing some people) :lol:

Still plenty of time for me to lose though, I'm sure I'll find a way :roll:

Graham
rhysmr2

Obviously different people trade in different ways, I most likely trade similar to your style SBW077, This week has been the worst week for about a year for me.

I know exactly what you mean about the usual trends aren’t there, there is money in the markets but the quality is poor, even with good amounts of money in the markets there has been some big jumps and changes in direction that I wouldn’t have expected at all. Everything I do seems to go against me, It’s like I just started trading again, very annoying.

I have lost £235 this week. Not a large amount but I thought I was over losing weeks. I’m hoping it hasn’t damaged my confidence and set me up for a bad run.

I’m just glad this week is over,

Good luck with next week.
SBW077

rhys let me take a guess, you typically scalp the market?

I would have lost a fortune this week had I not reduced my stakes and risk tolerance big time when I first noticed what the markets were like. Took some big hits scalping early on Tuesday and managed to claw most of it back. Was my worst week in many many months.

I find weeks like this one are a great time to practice swing trading with minimum stakes... swing trading is still a serious work in progress for me, i go in at the wrong time or pick the wrong direction about 90% of the time, the few big wins don't come anywhere close to paying for all the small losses... surely someday they will!

Best of luck to you next week also... in the grand scheme of things one bad week is nothing.
rhysmr2

Yeah, I should have reduced my stakes and tried some longer term positions, The prices were ending up where I expected but they were all over the place before they got there so that would have worked out, I find it hard not to cut my loss as fast as I can now though! so it's hard for me to hold out. if the markets stay like this for another week or so I’ll try some longer term positions and swing trades with reduced stakes.

I'd prefer it to go back to normal so I can resume making money! but your right anyway in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.
Squirtle

Well it's funny but I came on here to post up about how bad my week has been, only to find a thread talking about it. :lol:

I guess everybody is different. I'm usually pretty good in any markets but I guess I just haven't been on form this week. But I have found a number of markets just plain dreadful. This evening I am sat here wondering why I am sat here instead of down the pub!
Point2Point

I'm having a mare today, can't get anything right. Sandown should be the feature meeting but it doesn't feel like it! :(
jimrobo

Think today has possibly been the worst saturday I've had in a long time. Doubtful I'll make anything at all today.
Point2Point

So it begs the question of why it didn't 'work' today. I found the races didn't have much money (per second) in them and the orders I put in didn't seem to fill that quickly. Also there was the odd spike that seemed to occured far too often! That's my story of the day.
Point2Point

rhysmr2

By the sounds of it i'm glad i didn't bother today, oh well, bring on next week!
Point2Point

Thought my luck may change this evening, it's done the opposite. Much worse. In the last at Haydock the favourite jumped from 9's to 6's three times. Something not right in the markets today?

Just losing money hand over fist so throwing in the towel now.
andyfuller

I found the markets quite good again today. Even the evening markets I have thought were good. Thankfully was able to take advantage of it today as opposed to yesterday.
rhysmr2

I feel the markets are definitely different now, I do think it's the change to the flat season. The odds can really move at the moment, I mean fast and it's hard to get out of if your on the wrong side. They can be very jumpy and quick before the money really comes in.

Guess it's adapt or die! I remember this happening last year too. For some reason I find the flat season harder then the jumps, it's meant to be the other way round isn't it?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”