Betfair chart / Betfair graph of the day

The sport of kings.
Euler

Trade of the year
Buffalo River_20377672_17_46_22.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

That's one mental drift!
Naffman

Heard it bolted to post, horse did well to win if he did
Euler

Naffman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:55 pm
Heard it bolted to post, horse did well to win if he did
That's correct on both accounts
Euler

My value back bot, decided it was worth a punt. So happy times all over!
Derek27

There must be some value to be had by the small-time punter who studies racing the night before.
Mister Maestro, 20-40 Kempton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stueytrader

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 pm
stueytrader wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:55 pm
Always been the type that mystify me the most in all of trading and betting...those that drift like a barge then go on to win them. Never got it, prob never will. :?
Does it also mystify you when horses get backed off the boards, steam in and lose?
It's a good question, though I always consider the mechanism for those is different. I may be wrong and they are the same, but winners that everyone wants to lay always seems more counter-intuitive...?

Maybe this incorrect, but when I see heavy laying I assume those layers have some good reasoning for viewing the chance as weak in the actual race. Heavy backing also must have a reason, but potentially different reasons.
eightbo

Many times people are just hopping on an existing bit of momentum and unknowingly create a feedback loop.

I don't have the stats to cite but I believe the underlying BSP is pretty accurate; remember that any individual market(s) may be significant outliers.
gstar1975

Hex 2.15 Granard
stueytrader

eightbo wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 pm
Many times people are just hopping on an existing bit of momentum and unknowingly create a feedback loop.
That might explain some, though often not the very rapid and heavy drifts does it?

Plus, that only really assumes the 'trading' element in the market, not the punters who can also be responsible.
Derek27

When someone moves the market 10 ticks, some traders may panic and close trade with a negative offset of several ticks. Sometimes I can barely scroll my ladder as quickly as the market's moving!
Naffman

A lot of the time horses are just getting to their correct price, especially in handicaps

But it seems in 2yo races these flucs are way overblown as they think 'someone' knows something even when you can tell in the parade they are unsettled and/or not fit enough they will still back them because they will follow the money before anything else...
Dallas

In addition to what Naffman has just said about the race types one of the biggest factors in exaggerating moves in recent years is likely to be attributed to 'bots'
Once something starts even from a 'false' move bots quickly take over and create a domino effect as they start triggering each other
Derek27

Sufi, 14-00 Goodwood.jpg
eightbo

Couldn't tell you. There's a multitude of reasons. Market activity is comprised of a number of those reasons, sometimes they conflict, sometimes there is a dominant factor e.g. price is incorrect, connections fancy it, some geezer looking to chase back his £25k which he's just lost on the footy, or my favourite reason: No reason at all (purely random)

Market activity is the most accurate information you have access to, and what you should base decisions off

As for why it happens -- who cares

Return to “Trading Horse racing”