Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
mancbrady

Irish racing

A question for you experienced traders since I am new to this. I noticed during the Irish racing that quite a few of the winners yesterday had big drifts inplay going out to 30,50,100 & even 300 but coming back in an winning. Would you say that this is a common thing in the Irish markets and are they quite often volatile?

I’m just seeing if I should steer clear of these when I am playing with inplay automation as they may throw up some strange results, any insight would be great

Thanks
Dallas

mancbrady wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 am
Irish racing

A question for you experienced traders since I am new to this. I noticed during the Irish racing that quite a few of the winners yesterday had big drifts inplay going out to 30,50,100 & even 300 but coming back in an winning. Would you say that this is a common thing in the Irish markets and are they quite often volatile?

I’m just seeing if I should steer clear of these when I am playing with inplay automation as they may throw up some strange results, any insight would be great

Thanks
Irish racing is a lot less liquid (not as much money) than uk racing, with less money comes big gaps between the prices which leads to wilder movements in price, if your going to trade it has to be approached differently to UK racing.
mancbrady

I trying I will remove the Irish for now and look at another way of trading that market. Do you know if plenty of favourites usually win in this market or do you get wild outsiders winning these reces?
Dallas

mancbrady wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am
I trying I will remove the Irish for now and look at another way of trading that market. Do you know if plenty of favourites usually win in this market or do you get wild outsiders winning these reces?
Not really checked but you can run a custom report on the following site to find out
http://adrianmassey.no-ip.org/web1/fav/index.php
mancbrady

Dallas wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:33 am
mancbrady wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am
Not really checked but you can run a custom report on the following site to find out
http://adrianmassey.no-ip.org/web1/fav/index.php
thanks Dallas
Dallas

Should point out that the bigger festivals like the current Christmas festival at Leopardstown will behave like UK races and have big volumes traded
Black Ice

Koratt's quote rang a bell with me. I was thinking two years is enough...but then sometimes i feel i am so nearly there..for consistent profits...that have decided to give it another year...but if i can't crack it in 3 years i shall also pull the plug...I think that's well enough time to know if one can succeed or not. At moment am on about 16 months. PeterLe's enjoinder to try bots again has motivated me on that score...as i had decided that none of them work...for me! Though data-mining is a complete no..no for me..so it will have to be the hunch route!! Am also motivated by Adam Heathcote's quote that: 'Anyone ought to be able to pull in £100 a day on average (if they work at it!) Crikey..I would be over the moon with that...£50 a day would be fine! :D Cheers Guys...Happy New Year...and happy Trading in 2018! :)
marko236

Black Ice wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm
Koratt's quote rang a bell with me. I was thinking two years is enough...but then sometimes i feel i am so nearly there..for consistent profits...that have decided to give it another year...but if i can't crack it in 3 years i shall also pull the plug...I think that's well enough time to know if one can succeed or not. At moment am on about 16 months. PeterLe's enjoinder to try bots again has motivated me on that score...as i had decided that none of them work...for me! Though data-mining is a complete no..no for me..so it will have to be the hunch route!! Am also motivated by Adam Heathcote's quote that: 'Anyone ought to be able to pull in £100 a day on average (if they work at it!) Crikey..I would be over the moon with that...£50 a day would be fine! :D Cheers Guys...Happy New Year...and happy Trading in 2018! :)
I would say never give up, most people on here come from a gambling back ground and are better trying to make trading work, one of the main problems with manual trading is the time you have to put into it spending maybe more than 40 hours a week and ending up with a loss.

I'v been trading now for around 4 years and gave up on manual trading after about a year and moved on to automation and i spend about 15 hours a week on it. The most important thing is that i enjoy using bots to find an edge and if automation wasn't avalible on betangel i would have probably stoped trading a couple of years ago.
Black Ice

Marko 236 wrote:most people on here come from a gambling back ground and are better trying to make trading work. Do you mean 'are better (at) making trading work? I thought it was supposed to be a disadvantage?? I certainly come from that background...but from what I've read...we have a problem because you are always looking for the ultimate...ie as in having a winner...and usually let the trade go too far..it then reverses and u lose out...rather than be satisfied with a small green. Also...a propensity to always looking to back...rather than lay first? I believe Euler and others tend to lay first...which actually makes sense...as if one is not fancied....it should drift...innit!?? But not so easy in the heat of battle! So presumably Marko...you have found some winning bots?
Euler

Faugheen pulled up, some huge money lost on that race.
ShaunWhite

Black Ice wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm
At moment am on about 16 months.
Don't confuse elapsed time with time spent. 16 months full-time is still only about 2500 hrs.
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:38 am
It's surprising just how quickly losses can be recovered by small wins, so many losing traders could easily become winners if they stopped overreacting after a loss.
Amen, been saying this for years as it's so true but people really struggle to do that.
You either recover your losses quickly, or accelerate them quickly, depending on how you cope with them emotionally.
Derek27

mancbrady wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 am
Irish racing

Thanks
If you are trading in-play, the pre-race liquidity isn't so important - it's what's happening on the racecourse that counts. It's quite commonplace in the UK or anywhere else for horses to reach triple figures but go in and win.
dragontrades

Just remember guys there are plenty more interesting ways to make a living than sitting in front of the PC.
Don't stress if trading isn't for you
Derek27

marko236 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 pm
I would say never give up, most people on here come from a gambling back ground and are better trying to make trading work, one of the main problems with manual trading is the time you have to put into it spending maybe more than 40 hours a week and ending up with a loss.
Whilst most people on this forum are either successful or have the aptitude/potential to succeed, or perhaps trading as a hobby, there may be some people who will never be able to make trading pay. And don't forget that trading is ultimately gambling, however we like to categorise it - people have lost four or five figure sums trading. So I don't think you should ever advise anyone never to give up - only the individual can really decide what's best.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”