Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
steven1976

Just don't start answering yourselves back lads.
gutuami

very tricky today
Euler

Yeah, I tweeted earlier that I didn't fancy this afternoon at all.
redtra

After a break I thought I would have a days trading with a new found (hopefully)grasp of ebbs and flows, ups and downs, entry and exits. No such luck! Now my bank is back to square one and it's left me wondering whether it is rocket science after all and totally beyond me. Time for another break I think!
Euler

Today had bad written all over it. You are welcome to prod me for an opinion on each day if you wish. I wouldn't beat yourself up if you struggled today.
barlorca

People, you should all know by now "if your gut say no, don't do it" I speak from numerous experences when I didn't follow what my gut said and was it costly.

Older ,wiser and initially poorer, now if I have a gut feeling I follow it and stay away.

I'm not always right, but my when my gut gut feeling kicks in I follow it.

It sometimes costs me in lost profits, but what the hell.
Iron

barlorca wrote:People, you should all know by now "if your gut say no, don't do it"
Very true - better to be out of a trade wishing you were in it than the other way around...

Jeff
redtra

Euler wrote:Today had bad written all over it. You are welcome to prod me for an opinion on each day if you wish. I wouldn't beat yourself up if you struggled today.

thanks euler, i wouldn't mind your opinion on the days trading before I start. It's a relief to know it was a bad day to trade because i had a few good trades but some very odd bad ones...which didn't make any sense and cost me. One was coming nicely in for hours but didn't move much, then suddenly drifted before the off, true prince in the 3.50 at thirsk. It looked like it should have been a really good trade. This was my first,it put me off for the ones that followed as i was sure i had an idea what it was doing. The others looked weak but they still came in for some reason.

Looking back over the day, it seems as though the bad trades affected my confidence in selecting any additional trades and I exited those far too early... also traded too many!

Other races were all over the place too. What a day!
Groovyelms

I took the day off yesterday having traded 13 days in a row... and felt I needed a break.. looks like it was a day to miss anyway..
If you feel that yor confidence is low it is going to be tough...
I always start the day with small positions just to try and get into step with the markets then increase stakes later as I settle into the day. A small loss or profit early on seems to help get into the trading mood..

luck to all Groovy :?
redtra

Groovyelms wrote:I took the day off yesterday having traded 13 days in a row... and felt I needed a break.. looks like it was a day to miss anyway..
If you feel that yor confidence is low it is going to be tough...
I always start the day with small positions just to try and get into step with the markets then increase stakes later as I settle into the day. A small loss or profit early on seems to help get into the trading mood..

luck to all Groovy :?
that is a good idea...i will try doing that too since the first trade or two do seem difficult...thanks
lord

When you only have say in the winter 1 or 2 meetings due to abandonments or just 2 meetings scheduled the bookmakers odds compilers normally have all their ducks in a row, this can lead to less volatility (so poor opportunities with less swings and the prices more stable.)

How many runners in a race can also affect opportunities, if there are small fields in the 1 or 2 meetings I often find very little to get excited about.

When you have a day such as today with 8 meetings in the UK and Ireland there will naturally be more opportunities and also more risks.

So depending on your style of trading you should be more suited to either quieter or busier days.

When I look at today I think I can find and take advantage of the increased volatility, on quieter days the whole industry knows the movers and shakers so unless you are in the know early enough opportunities can be limited.

If you were working in one of the major bookies trading rooms today would u have time to get everything correct? Or would you be running around like a headless chicken? The out of kilter prices and bookmaker mistakes are what I am looking at, that fit my trading style. On days like this there should hopefully be more of them.

I would say in the summer is the time for traders to profit with June, July and August my busiest months. Come Jan and Feb i would be trading much less.

Hope everyone has a good day.
redtra

lord wrote:When you only have say in the winter 1 or 2 meetings due to abandonments or just 2 meetings scheduled the bookmakers odds compilers normally have all their ducks in a row, this can lead to less volatility (so poor opportunities with less swings and the prices more stable.)

How many runners in a race can also affect opportunities, if there are small fields in the 1 or 2 meetings I often find very little to get excited about.

When you have a day such as today with 8 meetings in the UK and Ireland there will naturally be more opportunities and also more risks.

So depending on your style of trading you should be more suited to either quieter or busier days.

When I look at today I think I can find and take advantage of the increased volatility, on quieter days the whole industry knows the movers and shakers so unless you are in the know early enough opportunities can be limited.

If you were working in one of the major bookies trading rooms today would u have time to get everything correct? Or would you be running around like a headless chicken? The out of kilter prices and bookmaker mistakes are what I am looking at, that fit my trading style. On days like this there should hopefully be more of them.

I would say in the summer is the time for traders to profit with June, July and August my busiest months. Come Jan and Feb i would be trading much less.

Hope everyone has a good day.
that's very useful lord, thanks. Not sure if i have a style, just trade whatever is happening i think mainly my trades are swingers. I like to get big moves rather than one tick moves so not sure which days would be best.

Euler, here is a prod!. What would you say about todays racing? Is it like yesterday or different? I've had a look but wouldn't know what to look for tbh.
Euler

I've studied just about every aspect of the racing markets so I can forecast likely volatility, volume, traded range etc. etc. So that's the basis on which I look at the markets.

Some race types are just bonkers, others quite predictable but there is always an element on entropy in what you do as horses & yards are not totally predicatble. So you can make forward judgements but you will only know if they are playing out as your approach the markets.

Today Newmarket is my key course as that should throw off some decent opportunties are the right risk. Lingfield will be a bit volatile but should throw off some opportunities. Not convinved by Bath this afternoon. I'd rank this afternoon a 6/10 on the opportunity scale.

I like the look of the evening card, not so sure on Stratford on Avon but I'd give that a 7 or 8 out of ten in terms of opportunity.

A 10 out of 10 will be a high quality day, probably a Saturday with no clashing races, good liquidity and some major feature races.

So today I'll be doing the Tennis initially and shifting to some of the better races this afternoon depending on what's happening on the Tennis.

If I'm stuck on a position on the Tennis I may skip a few races, but generally I'd prefer to do racing as you get an opportunity every ten minutes to make money but a Tennis match can go on for days and never still cock it up! I always keep an eye for opportunties, so I'll be watching the racing all the time. I can't resist it!
redtra

That is really helpful, thanks euler.

Out of interest, what would you have said about yesterday with a view to maybe not trading...what were the indicators, so to speak? Marks out of ten? I know you did comment that is was a tough day. This sort of info is very useful,it will help to decide when or if to enter a trade and be more selective. Maybe even wait longer to see if the price moves in a given direction before entering.

A good or bad race for trading is quite new to me. I thought they were all tradable and it was the trading that is hard! More things to learn but it's all great to know that there are indicators which result in easier trades.
Euler

When I do a course it takes me hours to talk through all the characteristics. There are a ton of variables you can look at but a lot of them are refinements. But when I look at the card in the morning I already know what I'm likely to do 10 minutes out, what the market will feel like and how much money will be traded and where.

But, I'm rare in that I can flip and flop my trading to suit, so I get a good general feel for the market. But as a starter you are better off finding a style you like, or understand and work really hard to nail that and indentify markets where it works well. Avoid those where it doesn't.

I didn't actually trade as much of the afternoon card as I usually do because of the Tennis so I can't give you an accurate steer on the afternoon, but the evening seems ok, if a bit frantic.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”