Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:48 pm
Naffman wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm
How you going to place these back bets at big odds though Derek when you're already restricted?
I'm talking about placing bets on the exchange. I know I won't get the same odds but if my arbing lays on Betfair made quite a massive loss they must be value back bets. Still testing the strategy though.
Considering Betfair odds are generally considered to be close to true value you'd expect the Betfair account to break even over time, less comms, and the arb profit end up on the bookmaker account. For you to have made a massive loss on the Betfair account you must have some ingenious way of choosing these arbs to ensure the majority of losers stayed on Betfair, Derek.
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:48 pm
Naffman wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm
How you going to place these back bets at big odds though Derek when you're already restricted?
I'm talking about placing bets on the exchange. I know I won't get the same odds but if my arbing lays on Betfair made quite a massive loss they must be value back bets. Still testing the strategy though.
Considering Betfair odds are generally considered to be close to true value you'd expect the Betfair account to break even over time, less comms, and the arb profit end up on the bookmaker account. For you to have made a massive loss on the Betfair account you must have some ingenious way of choosing these arbs to ensure the majority of losers stayed on Betfair, Derek.
We've been through this many times before SB. Firstly, there is no such thing as Betfair odds, Betfair offer a range of odds on any particular horse. Secondly, I don't actually choose the arbs, the bookies choose them for me by offering 33-1 on a 2-1 favourite.

viewtopic.php?p=172751#p172751

I don't believe BSP are close to true value, they just average out as true value, like alternating between 5/4 and 4/5 heads and tails. In any case I don't think it's applicable to low-liquid US markets.
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:17 pm
We've been through this many times before SB. Firstly, there is no such thing as Betfair odds, Betfair offer a range of odds on any particular horse. Secondly, I don't actually choose the arbs, the bookies choose them for me by offering 33-1 on a 2-1 favourite.

viewtopic.php?p=172751#p172751

I don't believe BSP are close to true value, they just average out as true value, like alternating between 5/4 and 4/5 heads and tails. In any case I don't think it's applicable to low-liquid US markets.
Regardless of whether there's such a thing as Betfair odds for you to make a 'massive loss' on Betfair you'd have to be laying well over the true odds within that 'range' as simply laying at random into a 100% ish book should return a small loss over time. At least you must have kept a few backers happy throwing away so much value in those low liquidity markets and a few bookie odds compilers livid for continually throwing away value to you on low liquidity markets..

I'd be very surprised if anything was actually laid at 34's, Derek. We've all seen advertised prices that you can never get on at.
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:38 pm
I'd be very surprised if anything was actually laid at 34's, Derek. We've all seen advertised prices that you can never get on at.
I think you're forgetting we're talking US horseracing, not football - unless you have experience betting on it with bookies you wouldn't know what you can get on. In case you hadn't noticed a 5/1 opener was pushed out to 33/1 so they were genuine odds and William Hill was obviously clueless about the horses' chances.

I've managed to get over £100 (without pushing the limits so I don't know how much I could have got on) on horses over 2/1 and traded them at odds on. I've got £50 on at 16/1 and traded it at 5.5.

(Thanks for distracting me SB, I've just got 12 ticks out of the fav at Newmarket while I wasn't paying attention.)

Odds comparison sites are often out-of-date and need to be treated with caution but I've never had an issue with a bookie not offering the price they advertised unless the price is genuinely crashing on the exchange. I've no doubt I could have had 33/1 if I was quick enough, and even if it was £10-20 I would be happy enough with that.

I've explained the reasons why I think I'm laying at backers value in the old post I linked - it's the desperation to close trade in a low-liquid market. Using a backing only strategy I won't have that problem, I can either take it or leave it.
PDC

1650 at Perth was some race inrunning :)
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:05 pm

(Thanks for distracting me SB, I've just got 12 ticks out of the fav at Newmarket while I wasn't paying attention.)
I doubt you need my help, Derek, you always seem to land on your feet with your gambling/trading stories.
dragontrades

Ling is fun so far.
Derek27

Just got back, the 18:45 was good.
Derek27

Quite stable markets for a Saturday evening, prices staying within a predictable range.
Derek27

Not that anyone else will care but Delaware's running a race behind schedule. ;)
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 pm
For you to have made a massive loss on the Betfair account you must have some ingenious way of choosing these arbs to ensure the majority of losers stayed on Betfair, Derek.
I should have mentioned that as some bookies restrict winners so readily my arbing sample is far from sufficient to conclude that it's an indefinite trend. I just got so used to seeing so many 12-1 shots hack-up like odds-on favourites I'd be crazy not to thoroughly test it.
Derek27

LoadRunnerInfoChartAction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeaHorseRacing

Terrible fall their at Southwell. Pretty sure the horse is still laid on top of the jockey.
greenmark

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:15 pm
Terrible fall their at Southwell. Pretty sure the horse is still laid on top of the jockey.
After becoming interested in racing i stopped watching it precisely because of those incidents. Hope rider and horse are ok.
eightbo

Lol who is this clown with the 10k stakes

Return to “Trading Horse racing”