Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
Derek27

Korattt wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm
today is awful for me, is there any chance we could have some clear cut clarification from both Euler & Jolly Green Giant on scalping?, is it viable still?, if so why & what markets?

Reason for asking?, having paid £300 for a course and being told (as mentioned before to forget it) yet people who haven’t attended a course are doing quite well with it seems.

To me it just doesn’t add up.
You'll never get a clear-cut clarification about scalping because it's purely a matter of opinion.

I'm sure the course you attended wasn't designed to program your brain like you would a computer, giving instruction of what to do in every eventuality. It was, I suspect, designed to give you a foundation to build on.

Scalping works for some people and people who are unsuccessful at scalping are usually better at other techniques.

I haven't heard it mentioned before, but in my opinion, success as scalping will be influenced by stake size. Imagine two scalpers with a similar technique trading the same markets, one using £10-20 stakes the other £200-500. I can see circumstances where the small trader will have a good day, the larger one getting hammered. I can also visualise situations where they just get one or two scalps off and the smaller trader wishes he traded bigger stakes.
BetScalper

Who said to forget scalping ? I been doing it for ages on soccer matches, just before team announcements and at halftime on o/u markets.

Did they just mean horse racing ? I imagine it depends on the race types.

- Hcaps with favourite operating in a tight range should be fine etc.
spreadbetting

Korattt wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm
today is awful for me, is there any chance we could have some clear cut clarification from both Euler & Jolly Green Giant on scalping?, is it viable still?, if so why & what markets?

Reason for asking?, having paid £300 for a course and being told (as mentioned before to forget it) yet people who haven’t attended a course are doing quite well with it seems.

To me it just doesn’t add up.
Why would you want to be taught how to pick up pennies rather than the pounds available by being able to spot genuine sustained moves? I'd be pretty pissed off if I paid £300 and they tried to fob me off with a course of scalping noise for a tick or two.
ruthlessimon

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm
Why would you want to be taught how to pick up pennies rather than the pounds available by being able to spot genuine sustained moves?
Trade frequency goes through the roof, potentially out-performing a swinger
spreadbetting

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 pm

potentially

I've no doubt there are people out there making fortunes from scalping, Simon and guess you're one of those with all your stats and bots, maybe you should be the one advising Korratt.

In my opinion scalping horses looks very easy due to the high strike rates you'll get but you're pretty much trading noise and one wrong move usually costs alot more than the winning ones. If you can predict the direction of the market surely you'd stay on for more than a tic or two so with scalping you're basically hoping the price will ping pong for a while. I'm not saying scalping isn't viable way of making money as I scalp certain markets myself but if I was paying £300 I'd much rather learn something that would help me spot sustained moves rather than the possibility of when a market might ping pong a set range.
ruthlessimon

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm
you're one of those with all your stats and bots, maybe you should be the one advising Korratt.
Far from it :) haven't scalped for literally yrs - but I've written up how I'd go about it - if I had the required coding skills. i.e. having the mechanics completely automated, with me in control of where/when the algo deployed. Whether it'd work or not is another story. I wouldn't even consider myself having cracked swinging properly yet - but I currently forgo nearly 50% of all markets, something I aim to change in future; either with a complete rethink or scalping.

Also, The reason I commented was because your post sort of implied that you'd recommend Mr. Naughty's course. But from what I've heard; his student's struggle & can't quite turn pro, because of the lack of trades.

All about balance I guess

ShaunWhite

Swing scalp scalp swing it makes it all sound like you have to be a one or the other. I do both, it depends what I'm seeing in front of me. But most of the time it's probably somewhere between the two (a scwing or a swalp?) just nicking a few ticks a few times.

Why would you sit one out because it's too swingy or the prices are too static? Every market has it's strategy etc etc etc.

I'm sure that if a low-mid level course suggests not to scalp then it's because it's (imo) harder and there are less opportunies. They might just think that at that stage, your time is better spent elsewhere rather than trying to learn everything at once. It's like when absolute beginners are advised to just look for steams or drifts, nobody is saying that that's all you're ever going to do.

It's also the case that if you can't spot a market that's on the move then you're not going to be able to scalp, you'll be oblivious to the situations that'll spoil your party.
Derek27

Scalping, swinging, it will be screwing next!
eightbo

7 hours of opportunity :D
UKIRE-13-07-2018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spreadbetting

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Also, The reason I commented was because your post sort of implied that you'd recommend Mr. Naughty's course. But from what I've heard; his student's struggle & can't quite turn pro, because of the lack of trades.
Not sure saying I'd be pissed off paying £300 to be taught scalping could be seen as a recommendation of some mysterious Mr Naughty but then again I have no stats to disprove your inference either.

Thankfully I've never been on any trading course and wouldn't recommend any either but I'd be very surprised if any lecturer could, or would, teach you every trick of trading in a day for a measly £300.
Korattt

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 pm
ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Thankfully I've never been on any trading course and wouldn't recommend any either
unfortunately I know of several who have attended courses that feel the same way, that they have initially been on cloud 9 after taking time out to travel to where ever after shelling out xyz (sometimes not just on one occasion) only to feel short changed, it’s a shame but I have learned more through trial & error & through videos than attending a course.

I know of one person who has had a pro trader visit his house for £500 for a days tuition & only teach him one method, didn’t even leave any sort of literature to refer back to.
napshnap

I know of one person who has had a pro trader visit his house for £500 for a days tuition
Nice, think i shoud requalificate for shovel seller)!
jimibt

napshnap wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:47 pm
I know of one person who has had a pro trader visit his house for £500 for a days tuition
... or rather, the contents of said shovel!! ;)
ruthlessimon

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 pm
Not sure saying I'd be pissed off paying £300 to be taught scalping could be seen as a recommendation of some mysterious Mr Naughty
spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm
If I was paying £300 I'd much rather learn something that would help me spot sustained moves
I'm sure you'd be equally annoyed to find out it only "works" twice a month (without being taught the necessary skills to adjust the strategy) - just as much as some blindfold scalping stuff
JTEDL

napshnap wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:47 pm
Was it a bald Aussie bloke from Skipton?

my 2p, if you want to get into scalping pre race, try loads of races at £2 stakes (real money, not practice mode), making average 10p - 20p per race, it's all about getting used all the different things that can happen like when price flies out in wrong direction etc

Return to “Trading Horse racing”