Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
Iron

aharris81 wrote:Anyone else think today's markets were extremely hard to profit from?
Hi Adam

I think it's a case of 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

A scalper might hate a market that a swing trader would love, and vice versa.

Jeff
freddy

Im currently helping someone learn to trade and they had a awful days on Friday / Saturday where as i had quite good days.

the problem with him i found was he was getting involved way to early, the money arrives very late on Busy days, and things like resistance points don't hold, he was trying to catch trend reversals 8+ mins from the off where as i was trading last minute few mins till the off.

the difference in P&l was massive althoe we were essentially doing the same things.
I believe this may be a common problem, you have to be very patient some days.
switesh

If anybody traded the markets actively today, could you provide your view of the markets please?

I know it looked like a poor card, but I couldn't help notice clear patterns (i.e. gambles on fav's). The big moves were definitely there. I felt like all I had to do is pick a side (i.e. back fav's trading below mid 2's) and close at off to end up for guaranteed green for the day.

If anybody's collected data perhaps you could verify if I'm right/wrong please. Thanks.
switesh

Just had a look through my spreadsheet and filtered all Fav's for Kempton.

Looks like all short priced fav's were heavily backed. Only 1 drifter at slightly bigger odds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Interesting observation, maybe you are also getting better at reading the market?
switesh

Euler wrote:maybe you are also getting better at reading the market?
Very mixed on that. My P/L's very volatile (like a Kemp Hcap), especially the 'L'.

I can see a few obvious patterns, but pre-mature Entry and delayed Exits are my failure points. Of-course, I can see some of these errors in retrospect when I do my review at end of day, but they aren't apparent during the trading session through the course of the day.
gutuami

yesterday we had only one class 6 race in the first 20 races of the day. All were class 5 and 4.
Today only one class 4 within the same first 20. All others 5 and 6. The "manipulator" is to be expected at those with lower odds. It seems he's working this week
L.o.S

switesh wrote:Very mixed on that. My P/L's very volatile (like a Kemp Hcap), especially the 'L'.

I can see a few obvious patterns, but pre-mature Entry and delayed Exits are my failure points. Of-course, I can see some of these errors in retrospect when I do my review at end of day, but they aren't apparent during the trading session through the course of the day.
I get this, I've started videoing my trading and talking out loud, feels a bit mad but it's helping see why I keep spotting what's happening but implementing it poorly.
Euler

This evening looks fun, some good quality at Sandown.
LeTiss

L.o.S wrote: I get this, I've started videoing my trading and talking out loud, feels a bit mad but it's helping see why I keep spotting what's happening but implementing it poorly.
I used to do that, it's not as daft as it sounds

I used to record the videos for myself, not for others on YouTube. I found it most useful to listen to my descriptions of what I was seeing and why I was about to make this particular trade.

It highlighted my mistakes very quickly
steven1976

Just don't start answering yourselves back lads.
gutuami

very tricky today
Euler

Yeah, I tweeted earlier that I didn't fancy this afternoon at all.
redtra

After a break I thought I would have a days trading with a new found (hopefully)grasp of ebbs and flows, ups and downs, entry and exits. No such luck! Now my bank is back to square one and it's left me wondering whether it is rocket science after all and totally beyond me. Time for another break I think!
Euler

Today had bad written all over it. You are welcome to prod me for an opinion on each day if you wish. I wouldn't beat yourself up if you struggled today.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”