TipTopTrader wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 am
Naffman wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:47 am
Great tip especially if you got on at the $3.50 10 mins out
Did you lay Terbium Naffman?
I laid it at SP yes
rik

for sure should make it likely there are going to be more favourites streaming than drifting in the last races
PDC

Best result of the day in the lucky last at Randwick. Really enjoyed today's session. Made a bit of a mess of Moone Valley but overall did okay there but left some money on the table there.
Derek27

rik wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:41 am
yes i guess if cant trade out fully i usually have liability on the favourites
I thought you said you don't let trades go in-play? Surely that explains why you had such a bad day the other week.
rik

must have said im a trader not a punter which i am, i place a lot of bets not always feasible to trade out everything 100% even, assume SP is about accurate in the long run
Derek27

rik wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:57 pm
must have said im a trader not a punter which i am, i place a lot of bets not always feasible to trade out everything 100% even, assume SP is about accurate in the long run
Do you study horses or are you predicting where the value lies based on the market prices?

Do you make a long-term profit from these bets?
rik

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 am
rik wrote:
Do you study horses or are you predicting where the value lies based on the market prices?

no i dont study form, say odds jump up a few percent right before the start should be smarter to leave it or trade out just partly, especially if im placing bets in running that might offset liability anyway.
say i trade out fully for a bad price, then place bets in running on other runners and i end up with liability on the horse that i was "desperate" to trade out... If i have an unusually big liability on a runner i will focus on reducing it earlier, smaller liabilities wont have much effect on variance, losing 17 out of 20 of your biggest markets which can realistically happen will, if your worried about smaller liabilities you dont have much of an edge or dont understand variance
was on 40% premium charge until recently
Derek27

rik wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:04 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 am
rik wrote:

no i dont study form, say odds jump up a few percent right before the start should be smarter to leave it or trade out just partly, especially if im placing bets in running that might offset liability anyway.
say i trade out fully for a bad price, then place bets in running on other runners and i end up with liability on the horse that i was "desperate" to trade out... If i have an unusually big liability on a runner i will focus on reducing it earlier, smaller liabilities wont have much effect on variance, losing 17 out of 20 of your biggest markets which can realistically happen will, if your worried about smaller liabilities you dont have much of an edge or dont understand variance
was on 40% premium charge until recently
I don't fully agree with the common advice pushed around: never mix betting and trading; it can be done but it's extremely complicated and what you describe highlights the pitfalls. I'm amazed you were paying 40% PC given the big market profits and losses you've incurred in the last few weeks. I presume they are not typical.
rik

honestly i stake bigger in football, cricket, tennis, english racing..
to generate less than 40% in comission isnt that hard, if i win more than 106 before comission for every 100 i lose i will
i done some betting purely to generate comission even it was running at slight loss to drop to 40% if your comission rate is lower 3% percent you will actually generate more comission than pay if you win and lose the same amount
PDC

PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:18 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:03 am
PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:01 am
Does anyone know why Betfair don't turn the "Place" markets in play?

I would get involved more if they went inplay and wish they did.
I've never looked at them but presumed not enough liquidity to sustain it?
But seeing as they are managing the win markets for inplay you would think they could do the place markets as well in terms of suspensions.

Also Betfair offer many more markets with virtually no liquidity inplay, the US markets don't exactly have a lot of money in them.

I will try to remember to email them for the reason this week if no one knows why.
I heard back from them and this is the reason they don't offer the place markets in play:

"we are not approved to offer in-play place markets for AUS racing by our regulator."

Seems somewhat odd given they are allowed Win markets, so why not place :?
Derek27

Clearly, there are some strange people near the top of the Australian racing authorities.
The dog of ry

Here's one for ya...

It's illegal to place bets on a sporting event inplay down here, unless you actually ring the operator to place the bet. Apparently a part of responsible gambling.

The kicker is .... inplay betting is allowed on horse racing because it is not classified a sport. work that one out.

I was told by one of the reps they are able to offer inplay betting on greyhounds down here... I wish they would give it a crack
Derek27

The dog of ry wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:19 am
Here's one for ya...

It's illegal to place bets on a sporting event inplay down here, unless you actually ring the operator to place the bet. Apparently a part of responsible gambling.

The kicker is .... inplay betting is allowed on horse racing because it is not classified a sport. work that one out.

I was told by one of the reps they are able to offer inplay betting on greyhounds down here... I wish they would give it a crack
I suspect the wallys that make up the rules have never placed a bet or sought advice from people who have. :?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”