Australian racing

The sport of kings.
Heisenberg

I only have a sample of 10 races today but all went in play 5-7 seconds after the official jump.
spreadbetting

Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm
I only have a sample of 10 races today but all went in play 5-7 seconds after the official jump.
Thanks, that's ridiculous. If UK racing was that far out they'd be an outcry, I thought the Aus regulators were a lot more on the ball about fairness.
Heisenberg

While I agree with what you are saying, logistically it's a bit of a nightmare.

Tabcorp make no secret of the fact that they don't want Betfair in Australia so they aren't going to sell them the fast pics (which they have the rights to). So BF are stuck with the delayed vision that the rest of us schmucks have to live with.

They could suspend off the AM radio call which is real time, but on busy days only about half the scheduled races get air time so you'd end up with a situation where some races are suspended on time while others are 5+ seconds behind. It would drive the automated players bonkers.

You could make an argument that suspending when the last horse is going into the gate is probably the fairest option but that would come at the expense of liquidity (and BF's profit). A much greater percentage of the total hold goes on in the last 30 seconds before the jump when compared to UK markets. The market would adapt in time, but short term there would be some pain.

What I don't understand is with harness racing, why they don't suspend at a point during the score up which is consistent with the picture delay is beyond me. The car travels at the same pace and the start is always in a predetermined spot, there's no reason why this couldn't be done and while it wouldn't eliminate the early gallopers blowing out in the market, it would prevent the privileged few from smashing the fast starters before the market goes in play.
spreadbetting

How liquid are the in play markets? I thought Aus based punters could only bet in play by phone and that's obviously not viable for racing. There must be people cleaning up on the Aus markets much like the early days of Betfair when the racetech guys where making fortunes.
Heisenberg

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm
How liquid are the in play markets? I thought Aus based punters could only bet in play by phone and that's obviously not viable for racing. There must be people cleaning up on the Aus markets much like the early days of Betfair when the racetech guys where making fortunes.
Racing in-play is allowed, it's just 'sport' that is restricted by law and has to be done by phone (and nobody takes any notice of that anyway, VPN or VPS solves that issue).

In play liquidity is pretty poor and most of the liquidity is around the favourite and to a lesser degree the second favourite. Markets hover between 110% and 130% (with usually only a few bucks being offered at the head of the queue) until just before the home turn in most races and then a heap of the market drops out and it becomes very thin. Most of the action happens in the first few seconds after the jump and in the last furlong. Very little happens in the middle stages, if you put in a decent back request mid race it will just kill the market. You'd think that there would be an opportunity to manipulate the market to a degree but it generally doesn't happen, any unusual money and the market sort of shuts down.
Heisenberg

I'll do a video tomorrow with accompanying (race) video to show how the AU markets move.
rik

Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm
I'll do a video tomorrow with accompanying (race) video to show how the AU markets move.
thank you, that would be very interesting
megarain

The lack of a consistent platform/delay is probably hindering the in-running liquidity more than anything else.

Heisenberg wrote an excellent summation of the current pic availability.

With Singapore racing being postponed, some of the pics on international satellites got slightly faster, but that ends tomorrow.

Harness racing is v tricky to turn in-play - and its a disaster if the races get turned in-play and a false start is called. I wouldn't really
fancy the job.
Derek27

Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:08 pm
You could make an argument that suspending when the last horse is going into the gate is probably the fairest option but that would come at the expense of liquidity (and BF's profit).
That sounds like a good idea to me, or just suspending anytime early. Any profit Betfair loses would be the price for integrity of BSP, more satisfied customers and would surely draw in some trading from traders that have more confidence in the exchange.
megarain

I dont especially care .. but it does seem the starters regularly get horses withdrawn for re-vet-examinations after playing up.

Betfair cant win .. if a race gets turned in play/bets all cancelled, and then another lengthy delay ensues.
napshnap

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:25 pm
Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm
Thanks, that's ridiculous. If UK racing was that far out they'd be an outcry, I thought the Aus regulators were a lot more on the ball about fairness.
25.06.20 | 17:40 | Bath went inplay 12 seconds later than official start time.
spreadbetting

Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm
Thanks for your insights be good to see the video. I always keep eaning to stay up one night to trade the Aus markets but never get round to it so just bot them for now.
rik

there is a potential stewards inquiry Albion Park R6?
why was someone laying big amounts on the clear winner?
ANGELS15

rik wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 am
I just saw this post quite late. Did the winner keep the race?

I've assumed from looking at UK races that there are many good judges of the likely outcome of a stewards. Some of these traders/punters are on-course and are in a better position to read any 'signs' or indicators. In theory there shouldn't be any punters at any of these races but perhaps someone working at the course may have had an inkling as to what could happen?
ANGELS15

ANGELS15 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm
rik wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 am
I just saw this post quite late. Did the winner keep the race?

I've assumed from looking at UK races that there are many good judges of the likely outcome of a stewards. Some of these traders/punters are on-course and are in a better position to read any 'signs' or indicators. In theory there shouldn't be any punters at any of these races but perhaps someone working at the course may have had an inkling as to what could happen?
I was just looking up the result (winner BETTERTHANAJEEP) but couldn't see the reference to the enquiry so don't know if it crossed the line first or was promoted). However I noticed this appears to be Harness Racing?

I know next to nothing about Harness Racing but I've noticed it has a hell of a lot of disqualifications. My guess some sharp eyed shrewdie noticed something the winner did in the race and assumed it would be disqualified.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”