Australian racing

The sport of kings.
Derek27

I didn't do so well profit wise at Caulfield but it's a bit early in the season (it was 7 degrees), liquidity should pick up.

The large sums of money usually disappeared if you waited long enough, on occasions it started going the other way. I suspect one guy was trying to be a market maker and offering huge sums a few ticks apart.
Wildly

Naffman wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 am
Bog wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm

You can find out by looking at the rules on the Betfair site for a market. It always says if it's a turnover charge market and whether cross-matching.
Thanx Derek! I have looked and it doesn't says on trots races that their is an turnover charge...
Good luck tomorrow morning if you are trading aussie markets :D
There is a turnover charge on the nsw trots, only the greys in nsw is exempt
There is no turnover charge on harness racing in any Australian state.
Only on the gallops in NSW.
Bog

Thankx Wildly, good to know their is no turnover charge on trots
Naffman

Wildly wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 am
Naffman wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 am
Bog wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanx Derek! I have looked and it doesn't says on trots races that their is an turnover charge...
Good luck tomorrow morning if you are trading aussie markets :D
There is a turnover charge on the nsw trots, only the greys in nsw is exempt
There is no turnover charge on harness racing in any Australian state.
Only on the gallops in NSW.
Sorry for the misinformation :)
Derek27

I know the Aussies are good timekeepers but there's no need to rub it in by scheduling a race for 7:59 am, and actually running the race at 7:59 am. :lol:
Euler

It's amazing how efficient they are in Australia, but they do seem to have outriders at most major courses. Puts the UK to shame.
Lutruwita

On average races probably jump 50 seconds late here in Aus which is fairly pathetic. There's obvious outliers (including waiting for another race) which are beyond the control of barrier staff, but how hard is it to run races on time? I wonder if they jump so late for betting reasons as it give punters a couple of minutes to see horses and rush to get their bets on?
Lutruwita

Sandown mid-week seems be pulling much larger sums. 6/8 races were over $200k AUD today.
Wolf1877

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 am
On average races probably jump 50 seconds late here in Aus which is fairly pathetic. There's obvious outliers (including waiting for another race) which are beyond the control of barrier staff, but how hard is it to run races on time? I wonder if they jump so late for betting reasons as it give punters a couple of minutes to see horses and rush to get their bets on?
Horses are unpredictable creatures. Its not quite like running a train timetable is it? Mind you here in the UK maybe it is!
These late starts present some important trading opportunities anyway

I really CBA to watch racing streams. What would be fantastic is if Bet Angel or Betfair had someone who could give say a 15 second warning of a "possible off" so we could automate post scheduled start time pre-off trading more confidently. Advisory only service and at own risk of course.
Derek27

Wolf1877 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 am
Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 am
Horses are unpredictable creatures. Its not quite like running a train timetable is it? Mind you here in the UK maybe it is!
These late starts present some important trading opportunities anyway

I really CBA to watch racing streams. What would be fantastic is if Bet Angel or Betfair had someone who could give say a 15 second warning of a "possible off" so we could automate post scheduled start time pre-off trading more confidently. Advisory only service and at own risk of course.
I agree, animals (including us) are unpredictable and it's impossible to always get races off on time - I'm amazed how they do it in Australia.

But on your second point, Betfair are not even capable of ensuring all races are suspended five minutes after the race has been run, so I doubt anyone would have any confidence in a Betfair representative advising when the race is about to start. :lol:
Wolf1877

Fair point Derek (about Betfairs ability to accurately notify).

I guess if there was a widely available electronic notification system of how many horses had been loaded into the starting gate on flat races then the market characteristics of the post-scheduled start time pre-off trading period would probably change anyway as automation volumes would be higher. Maybe in a year or two when I have got everything cracked I can employ my own racing stream watcher to press a notification button to link into the late trading automation systems that I have yet to even develop. In the meantime I guess late trading pre-off market volume patterns may provide some kind of a hint.
Last edited by Wolf1877 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

Wolf1877 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am
I agree, animals (including us) are unpredictable and it's impossible to always get races off on time - I'm amazed how they do it in Australia.

But on your second point, Betfair are not even capable of ensuring all races are suspended five minutes after the race has been run, so I doubt anyone would have any confidence in a Betfair representative advising when the race is about to start. :lol:
Fair point about trust in Betfair's ability.

I guess if there was a widely available electronic notification system of how many horses had been loaded into the starting gate on flat races then the market characteristics of the post-scheduled start time pre-off trading period would probably change anyway as automation volumes would be higher. Maybe in a year or two when I have got everything cracked I can employ my own racing stream watcher to press a notification button to link into the late trading automation systems that I have yet to even develop. In the meantime I guess late trading pre-off market volume patterns may provide some kind of a hint.
It shouldn't really be beyond the remit of a ten-year-olds to press a button when a race starts - don't know why Betfair find it so difficult!
Bog

Please be aware that on 23rd August 2018 from 04:00 - 07:00 BST our entire website will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Hi. Does anyone know when the site came back from maintenance? BST time.

I just wake up, it's not yet 07:00 BST and I see the exchange it working. I hope I didn't lost too many aussie races since the site came back :D Thanx
AussieDaz

There have been markets for the last 4 hours or so - that's as early as I started - full card from what I know.

Edit - just realised you are not talking about betfair Australia - sorry :(
Bog

AussieDaz wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 am
There have been markets for the last 4 hours or so - that's as early as I started - full card from what I know.
Thanx AussieDa. So it wasn't any "scheduled maintenance" after all ? I should have woke up earlier, I thought the site will be down until 07:00 BST, so I slept longer :lol:
Edit - just realised you are not talking about betfair Australia - sorry
They said "our entire site", so I thought it's for everyone.
Last edited by Bog on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”