Australian racing

The sport of kings.
PDC

$1.12 gubbing in the Listed race at Belmont
Naffman

Owner had $1.20 beaten earlier on too
Derek27

Lovely back & forth steam, R2 Wyong. Trading NSW is getting like drinking - you try hard to cut back but just can't resist one more. :lol:
LoadRunnerInfoChartAction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcgoo

Having a shocker..lost the first 3 today..scalping. Had to walk away and sit on the deck for a bit in the winter 25 Deg C sun ;) I know when you big traders are around, you have a camera on my screen and move the market in the opposite direction to my opening trades :lol: Even the cat has wandered off in disgust :shock: :D
Make that 4. Back to looking for swings.Gawd :shock:
Edit: Walking away today..11 markets.Lost 8 :(..mare (scuse pun)
ANGELS15

mcgoo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:18 am
Having a shocker..lost the first 3 today..scalping. Had to walk away and sit on the deck for a bit in the winter 25 Deg C sun ;) I know when you big traders are around, you have a camera on my screen and move the market in the opposite direction to my opening trades :lol: Even the cat has wandered off in disgust :shock: :D
I was curious about the volumes traded on Australian racing. It seems a fraction of what is traded on UK racing? Betfair is allowed in Australia, it's a big country, don't the punters over there bet/trade as much as in the UK? Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong races but when I have looked the volumes traded seem similar to dog races in the UK?
sniffer66

ANGELS15 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 am
mcgoo wrote:
I was curious about the volumes traded on Australian racing. It seems a fraction of what is traded on UK racing? Betfair is allowed in Australia, it's a big country, don't the punters over there bet/trade as much as in the UK? Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong races but when I have looked the volumes traded seem similar to dog races in the UK?
I thought the same when I had a look. Lived there for a while and Aussies I knew would bet on anything and everything. Maybe its more sport betting there as opposed to trading
Euler

Roughly 25m people live in Australia vs 60m in the UK, it's a much smaller market.
mcgoo

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 am
ANGELS15 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 am
mcgoo wrote:
I thought the same when I had a look. Lived there for a while and Aussies I knew would bet on anything and everything. Maybe its more sport betting there as opposed to trading
Volumes are lower than UK that's for sure. I am frustrated at not being able to spend 7-8 hours a day on high liquidity horse markets. I have realised that with a family and a serial killer cat ;) I don't have the required time in hand (and lack the brain power to find an edge quicker) and am glad I have focused on a sport like tennis as well-albeit via automation. 800 traded horse race markets over 3 months is below par :? and is not going to get me there soon. Aussies do punt a lot but in my experience most is recreational.Perhaps I should look more closely at AFL and NRL :roll:
Emmson

Euler wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:31 am
Roughly 25m people live in Australia vs 60m in the UK, it's a much smaller market.
Despite that I notice they have so much racing everyday, does it support itself or is it subsidized?
ANGELS15

Emmson wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 am
Euler wrote:
Despite that I notice they have so much racing everyday, does it support itself or is it subsidized?
Yes I was wondering the same. It's interesting what Euler said that most of the betting is recreational I was expecting the Aussies to be more like us in the UK.
mcgoo

ANGELS15 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:06 am
Emmson wrote:
Euler wrote:
Yes I was wondering the same. It's interesting what Euler said that most of the betting is recreational I was expecting the Aussies to be more like us in the UK.
There's just about a bookie on every corner so would be surprised if subsidised and every footy (NRL/AFL) match has a betting advert midstream on TV with bookie prices advertised which just makes me laugh as BF has at least 30% better odds(always).In my experience even if you mention BF odds to joe bloggs punter they go with what they know..bookie . I was sitting outside the gym the other day on the phone and watched at least 10 punters wander into the TAB (very very small neighbourhood bookie office with nice houses nearby) in 12 minutes........... on a Sunday !!! :shock:
Edit: What was pretty cool though was one punter took his 2 border collies in with him for a punt :lol:
ANGELS15

''In my experience even if you mention BF odds to joe bloggs punter they go with what they know..bookie .''

Most punters here in the UK are not much better. They look on exchanges with suspicion if they've even heard of them. Most betting shop punters prefer fruit machines and virtual racing these days.
ShaunWhite

Emmson wrote:
Euler wrote:
I suppose the vast geography of the country means that if they didn't have so many tracks, horses would always be travelling 500 miles to get to one. And I'd guess the overheads are much lower too, so they don't need to do so much business. Afterall 60 acres of land near Windsor is worth a hell of a lot more than 60 acres of land near Alice Springs, so to make the asset worth holding it needs to see a lot more cash go through the accounts, otherwise you might as well just sell it to a developer.
ShaunWhite

ANGELS15 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:23 am
Most punters here in the UK are not much better. They look on exchanges with suspicion if they've even heard of them.
It's hard to sell the idea that if 3 mates place a bet 1 minute apart, one might get 2.1, one might get 2.6 and the other might get 1.9.
....and they you try and tell them that they're all getting a great deal.

No wonder they assume it's a bit suss, the guy getting 1.9 will feel robbed even if it's a 1.7 chance, especially when so many people see bets as just "it'll win" or "it'll lose" instead of "it's got a 2.1325 chance".
ANGELS15

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:55 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:23 am
Most punters here in the UK are not much better. They look on exchanges with suspicion if they've even heard of them.
It's hard to sell the idea that if 3 mates place a bet 1 minute apart, one might get 2.1, one might get 2.6 and the other might get 1.9.
....and they you try and tell them that they're all getting a great deal.

No wonder they assume it's a bit suss, the guy getting 1.9 will feel robbed even if it's a 1.7 chance, especially when so many people see bets as just "it'll win" or "it'll lose" instead of "it's got a 2.1325 chance".
TBH similar happens with ordinary betting.The other day I overheard 3 punters chatting to one another. The first said 'damn I took 9/4 on that favourite it's 11/4 now, the second said yeah I just took 11/4 guess I was lucky. They asked the 3rd what he'd done he said I didn't take the price. The horse won 7/2. The 2 who got the shorter odds were muttering but then said 'a winners a winner' it's all fixed you know.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”