Australian racing

The sport of kings.
eightbo

This week felt different to me, fewer pullbacks on trends and ppl hitting offered prices much more aggressively/consistently than usual (and for decent amounts).

You lot are probably sleeping now but could people let me know if they thought it was like most weeks or did you feel the activity was unusual?
PDC

rik wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:38 am
PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:43 am
Eye watering losses in there, how on earth do you lose near on £700 in one Race at Morph. Would love to hear about any one of those races.

I doff my cap to you for being able to handle losses of that size, it would do me in!
if losses do your head in your probably not confident in your edge
It is not that losses do my head in, it is the size of some of your losses that I would not be comfortable with and the large swings your P&L.

Losing near on £700 in a matter of minutes doesn't sit well with me, it doesn't seem to bother you which is something I wish I could do as I know losing that much would effect me badly.
eightbo

For me it's drawdown as a % of capital which triggers my pain threshold. I've been on £50 banks and lost the plot after drawing down to like £35, which was also probably partly because I went into the session with an illogical expectation that I was going to be making money and when it didn't play out that way I'd get upset. Conversely I can trade big sums at high-quality meetings without issue, although there is a notable stress increase when in losing positions but the execution is still pretty near to what it should be so I don't feel it makes much of a difference.
PDC

eightbo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 am
This week felt different to me, fewer pullbacks on trends and ppl hitting offered prices much more aggressively/consistently than usual (and for decent amounts).

You lot are probably sleeping now but could people let me know if they thought it was like most weeks or did you feel the activity was unusual?
Can't say I thought it was that different to usual. Sounds like you had a really good session so maybe that is making you see the markets differently when it was actually you who was different in that you performed well.

There were plenty of well backed favs which you were commenting on quite a bit but likewise there were plenty of drifting favs

The one thing I did find different was Randwick didn't trade how I would normally expect Randwick to trade but I think that can be explained by the fact it was actually Kensington but listed as being Randwick.
gazuty

PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 am
eightbo wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 am

Can't say I thought it was that different to usual. Sounds like you had a really good session so maybe that is making you see the markets differently when it was actually you who was different in that you performed well.

There were plenty of well backed favs which you were commenting on quite a bit but likewise there were plenty of drifting favs

The one thing I did find different was Randwick didn't trade how I would normally expect Randwick to trade but I think that can be explained by the fact it was actually Kensington but listed as being Randwick.
Checking in on bot performance I rate today as a very weak day that got going a bit later in the afternoon. Very typical of winter racing. Roll on Spring racing carnival.

Kudos to those who find today profitable.
Derek27

PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:09 am
Not often you get Kensington on a Saturday, hope it trades well.
Not traded well at all for me today. Usually really like Randwick but it is actually my worse track of the session.
Never really got on with any meeting last night, though not having a comfortable seating position probably made a big difference.
Derek27

rik wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:51 am
PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 am
rik wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 am
stupid favourites keep winning
Are you trading or punting?
trading, i dont know much about horses
Are you allowing losing trades to run for tens of ticks before closing, or even adding to the trade?
Derek27

rik wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:38 am
PDC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:43 am
Eye watering losses in there, how on earth do you lose near on £700 in one Race at Morph. Would love to hear about any one of those races.

I doff my cap to you for being able to handle losses of that size, it would do me in!
if losses do your head in your probably not confident in your edge
It's good to be confident in an edge but it's important to remember your edge is applicable to how the markets trade at the moment. The problem with being confident that you can always regain losses with your edge is that if you lose your edge, you won't know you've lost it until you've lost a lot of money! That's why I'd rather keep on my toes.

Even if you are long-term profitable, it's always worth analysing your worst losses to see if there is anything you could have done differently to avoid them without negatively impacting your profitable markets, thereby drastically improving that £31 P/L you posted.
TipTopTrader

I can see Rik posting some big totals in the next few months, once he gets his eye in.

I really like his mental approach.The way the losses don't seem to faze him one little bit.
ShaunWhite

TipTopTrader wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 am
I can see Rik posting some big totals in the next few months, once he gets his eye in.

I really like his mental approach.The way the losses don't seem to faze him one little bit.
I don't think any of us are fazed by our own loses, just curious about what sort of stake you're on when a trade costs you £700 on a fairly modest Australian race. Cheltenham Festival maybe but.....

It also seemed a bit on the heavy side when he said he didn't know the markets too well, wtf sort of stake will he use when he's being serious! :shock:

And why care if favourites are winning?

rik really is an international man of mystery that's got people interested :D
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:11 am
I don't think any of us are fazed by our own loses, just curious about what sort of stake you're on when a trade costs you £700 on a fairly modest Australian race. Cheltenham Festival maybe but.....
I reckon even PDC would struggle to recover those losses. There's a tight limit to how much you can win on some Aussie markets but there's absolutely no limit to how much you can lose on any market.

But having said that, Rik still ended up in profit by winning more on other markets, which is what's so intriguing.
napshnap

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:11 am
TipTopTrader wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 am

It also seemed a bit on the heavy side when he said he didn't know the markets too well, wtf sort of stake will he use when he's being serious! :shock:

And why care if favourites are winning?

rik really is an international man of mystery that's got people interested :D
Maybe we see the birth of a legend, Shaun :) .
TipTopTrader

Happy to lay Il Divo at Pakenham R6
TipTopTrader

Laying Steinbrenner, Sandown race 2 number 11, current price 4.80 best with the bookies.

I'm dutch betting no 9 Rock The Drum, and no 14 Trolleyed.
eightbo

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:29 am
There's a tight limit to how much you can win on some Aussie markets but there's absolutely no limit to how much you can lose on any market.
wisdom

Return to “Trading Horse racing”