Excel Trading Analysis

afropunk

Hey Nigel thanks for your reply.

I would consider myself an Excel novice as I only use it minimalistically. I don't trade any place markets so I do not think this is the issue. In regards to posting images on the forum. I use photobucket.com and host them there. I then include the image code to display them in the post.

If anyone has any ideas for my excel issue I'm all ears! :)
drifter

Thanks Nigel :D The spreadsheet is great.

Already I can see that Wolves is good to me :) but I think I need to pay attention when trading Kempton :(
afropunk

Another big thank you to Nigel. He has solved me problem, use the correct spreadsheet!

I was using the Betting History spreadsheet rather then the P&L one :oops:

It is now working a treat and has confirmed a few of my ominous suspicions!

Thanks again for creating and sharing this spreadsheet Nigel :D
nigelk

All,
I've added a "date" option, "sort by AV", and an error message.

The programme will by default, search for a spreadsheet named BettingPandL, and if it can't find it will carry on, but you'll get lots of #value errors on the screen.

(Thanks here to Tub and Afro for pointing out that Betfair had different spreadsheets to download, a fact I was totally unaware of).

To circumvent this, I've added an error message that lets you know if the sheet cannot be found. If you find this annoying (i.e. you rename your sheet or change the pathways ), just go into the VBA screen and delete the line: "On error goto Errtrap"

I've re-jigged the screen a bit, the details now appear on the left. It made a bit more sense to scroll to the right and line up the section you want directly against the details.

Finally, many thanks for all the kind comments.
Nigel.
Last edited by nigelk on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nero Tulip

Ruddy awesome work Nigel, this is very helpful and thanks for making this available.

Might I request some extras? Please only if you have the time or inclination.

It doesn't find the track names or race types for greyhounds, which I'd love to have, since I do a lot of those races.

I'd also like to see some additional general stats. Such as average Win, and average Loss. I want to be able to see how the variance in my results is being affected.

Great work though, the thought crossed my mind that a spreadsheet that looked at individual matched bets would be good too. Might delve into that myself.

Thanks again.
chris_ri

Hi Nigel

Looking very good, learning quite a bit about programming Excel from looking at the code. One thing I was wondering about creating is a spreadsheet similar to the sheet Peter demonstrates on his course which includes a column showing win/lose percentages over a period (possibly configurable or just daily) and average gain/loss ( again configurable period or just daily). This sort of stuff would be useful to chart to see if your going in the right direction in terms of expectancy and daily gains. If you find the time .... it would be great.

Thanks again,

Chris
Jimmy

Hi,

I am stuck. Ive downloaded it change the path, tried putting the file in c: & desktop change paths etc and it keeps tell me that it can't find a spreadsheet called "BettingPandL"

Cheers

Jimmy
Jimmy

Brilliant thanks for sort that out Nigel.

Yeah this is great

Strike rate
70% Horses
74% Greyhounds

The good think is for me it shows me where my stuid mistake of letting it go inrunning are and it makes it ever more real.

Cheers

Jim
margueston

Nigel, thanks for the spreadsheet. Does it work with OpenOffice? I get various error messages when I tick the header boxes and the whole alt/f1 update thing doesn't work. SOrry but I'm a complete noob at this. Cheers again
TheTub

I think OpenOffice falls over if the Excel sheet has macros. They are just not as compatible as they would like you to believe.
nigelk

Tub's right. Open Office is a bit limited with macros as compared to Excel

Nigel.
margueston

Cheers anyway guys
firedave

What a fantastic spreadsheet. Been meaning to do something like this but no point reinventing the wheel (and a very good wheel it is!)

I have a question about the strike rate as to whether it should count a £0 market as a negative. To me this is the same as not doing anything on the market but I can see it from the opposing side that you put trades into the market and didn't come away with a profit. What are your thoughts - should zero markets be ignored in the strike rate?

The only other thing I have noticed is that downloading the profit and loss sheets from betfair always means I have to open the spreadsheet first which cleans errors out of it before I can import it into the trading spreadsheet. I wouldn't be surprised if this is because I'm trialing Windows 7 but a little frustrating!

Keep up the good work.
David

------------------------------------------
http://firedave.blogspot.com
nigelk

Hi Dave,

I did think of ignoring the £0's but then thought
we set out to make a profit, and if we don't we've failed, hence them being counted of as failures.

Both ways are vaild. In football for example, a 0 would represent a draw, but in tennis, you can only win or lose.

Sorry about the spreadsheet problems, sounds like an unwanted feature of Windows 7.

PS. Feel free to mention the spreadsheet on you blog!

Thanks,Nigel.
misteraitch

Thanks very much for sharing the results of your efforts, great bit of programming! Much appreciated.

Return to “Trade analysis & record keeping”