Excel Trading Analysis

mtrend

Hi NigelK / Everybody,

I am trying to add the strike rate for each course on the default page so I can sort my courses into strike rate success.

If you double click into the course it gives you the strike rate for that course, I cant see where this data is being held, is there a fairly simple way I can add an extra column onto the main sheet so I can sort the course by strikerates ?

TIA
nigelk

Hi Mtrend
Unfortunately there is no simple way to insert a column as you'd have to change various references in the code. ( I think but can't remember for sure!)

Right click on the sheet tab, and 'View code'
This is the line you are after

'strike rate
Sheets("sheet3").Range("b5") = Sheets("sheet1").Range("ap4").Value

and if you select 'format', 'sheet' and unhide sheet 1
Range AP2, AP3, and AP4 contain the figures you are after. AI2 contains the value of the cell you double clicked on and AK to AO all the info for that track.

Hope it helps.
Nigel.
mtrend

Cool, il take a look, thanks !
Predicton

This looks really clever, you must be an IT whizzkid,

cheers, P
Seabird

Excellent work NigelK and many thanks for sorting out a version that works with my data.

One suggestion I have is to have columns which show the P/L per trade for Course, Race Type and Distance. This gives another view on where one is going wrong. I have added these to columns S, T and U (which I presume is OK) but it would be better if they were columns which immediately followed the P/L they were using. Is that possible or a pain?

On the earlier subject of how to treat scratches in the strike rate, my personal view is they should be treated positively. I always note a scratch as +0. My reasoning is:

My primary objective is to make profit on a trade.
My secondary objective is to preserve capital.
My third objective is to limit any loss to a small one.

A scratch trade satisfies objective 2 and I think objectives 1 and 2 are successes. In any case it is psychologically good to consider a scratch in the glass half full category.

One thing your analysis spreadsheet has shown me is that if my scratch level is high on any given day I am more likely to make profit. I believe that that is because I am more on the ball that day. The more I'm prepared to scratch and not let the trade drift all over me the more I'm likely to profit.

Anyone agree that scratches should be considered positively?

Thanks again.
Seabird
blueport

Where do I find the version with the date option?

Cheers,
Simon
Lagos

Hi Nigel

Having trouble getting this to work. I think I have done it as you say but when I connect it I get an error message Run-time error'1004' 'C:\Users\Dad\Desktop\BettingpandL.' could not be found.

I do have other markets on there like without fav and forecasts so that my be the problem.

dont know if you can help.
Thanks

Martin
Lagos

Got it working on the comuter at work this morning.
It makes very interesting reading.

A great tool ....well done

Martin
BLUFFdisko

Hej nigelk

im a total newbee to excel

could you please tell me where i can download the spreadsheet that your spreadsheet connects with, from betfair
kinglouie

Hi Nigel

This is a very useful tool and after a bit of playing about I have got it to work.

Very impressed indeed.

Well done Sir.
Lagos

Hi

I am having trouble getting this to work. I get this message highlighted in the de bugger

Columns("K:K").Sort Key1:=Range("K2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

after a runtime 1004 message.

Has anyone got any Ideas?

Thanks

Martin
nigelk

What version of Excel are you using?

Nigel.
Lagos

Hi Nigel

Thanks for replying, It looks like office 2000! so I guess thats the problem.??
nigelk

Delete the last part so it looks like this:

Columns("K:K").Sort Key1:=Range("K2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
William31

Hi All
Ive down loaded an older version of Nigels Trading Record. [i believe version 2. no averages} Its a great piece of work / is there a newer / current version of this - ive looked but cant see any thing / can some one point me in the right direction. Thanks William

Return to “Trade analysis & record keeping”