Data Required for Uni Dissertation

PMezzy

Hi all,

I'm currently studying my dissertation - "Herd behaviour in financial markets" and I've been asked to think of a relevant 'extension' to that question. Naturally, I want to study herd behaviour in betting markets. Using betting markets for these studies has been fairly commonplace recently with the recognition of the similarity in characteristics between betting markets and financial markets combined with the attractive quality of well-defined termination points, but most papers that I've read haven't made the most of the exchange and the amazing potential it brings to this field.

Ideally, I'd like to study GB horse racing markets due to the higher tendency to herd in these markets. Again, ideally, I'd have periodic data on every horse (maybe just the top x horses) for the 10mins before the off, as well as an early price. I'd then be able to calculate the expected returns on each horse per time period and use a measure commonly used in the literature that associates dispersion with herding.

I've looked at the betfair data page, but can't seem to open the data from the basic package on my mac and am not going to be able to justify the £200 for the pro data which I fear I'd require.

Is there a way to collect the data I need manually in Bet Angel?
Is there a more efficient way to examine herding than collecting all this data? (herding defined as the making of decisions based on the actions of others, or the information perceived to be conveyed in those decisions, as opposed to one's private information)

Cheers,
Pete
Euler

Check out this section of the forum, you may find what you need in here: -

viewforum.php?f=54

Return to “Betfair Data”