Free Betfair Exchange Historical Data Offer!

spreadbetting

Dunno if it's been posted elsewhere on the site but Betfair are offering free advanced data, whilst there's little sport on, for the following periods. Might be useful to some especially as there's little else to do betting wise.

http://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home
Free Betfair Exchange Historical Data Offer!

We are offering the following historical data free of charge:

January 2020– May 2020 – ADVANCED data - All Sports – (normally £2615)

April 2020 – May 2020 – PRO data – All Sports – (normally £2180)

All data can be ‘purchased’ in the usual way and will be shown as £0 cost when you complete the purchase process. No funds will be debited from your Betfair account for these free data packages.
sa7med

Thanks for the headsup!
Jukebox

Thanks
sniffer66

Thanks from me as well
Derek27

I'll take a look while it's free, thanks, but I can't believe how it could be worth so much. Obviously I'm missing something but I'd sooner pay to do Phychoff's course!
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:13 pm
I'll take a look while it's free, thanks, but I can't believe how it could be worth so much. Obviously I'm missing something but I'd sooner pay to do Phychoff's course!
The data has no intrinsic value, it's what you do with it that counts, and what tools you've got to expoilt what you might find. A majority of people will find nothing whatsoever and it'll be worthless but for others it could be worth thousands a week.

But I doubt very much that there's anyone out there with the technical and analytical skills to find anything useful who aren't already collecting the data they need themselves. Offering someone data is like giving them a pile of ingredients, it ain't going to turn them into Gordon Ramsey (apart from the swearing).

The one good thing about it is that it's all sports, so quite handy for kickstarting the databases of anyone now looking elsewhere who's maybe not been collecting everything until recently or will only be doing so soon.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Offering someone data is like giving them a pile of ingredients, it ain't going to turn them into Gordon Ramsey (apart from the swearing).
that honestly made me lol!!
Jukebox

Well I for one hadn't been running data collection on the rag bag of markets I've been trading this week.

Swedish harness racing for instance.
Euler

The problem I have always found with historical data is that it tells you what happens, but not why. So active participation in a market is nearly always preferable. But you can use historical data to model and build a framework for further investigation.
trad1ngbull

Thanks, @spreadbetting.
gunnerryan

Am I missing something or is the data incredibly hard to understand?

There's nothing to indicate what is a win market by the file name. It's just a jumble of different files named using random numbers.
Has anyone been able to make sense of them or import them into a database?
Alexander_99

gunnerryan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 pm

There's nothing to indicate what is a win market by the file name. It's just a jumble of different files named using random numbers.
I second this, as I've been looking at historical data and having to go through a dozen random files just to find the one I want, say match odds, is infuriating.
ShaunWhite

gunnerryan wrote:

They're not in a format you can just pull into excel. They're in JSON format and the schema doc is available to download from Betfair. You'll need to use a utility (several listed free and paid for via google) to convert them to Excel or csv format.. Also bear in mind that the data is probably delta values, ie the changes since he previous timestamp not absolute figures at given times. That would be the usual way in data like this, as it is for any time series data such as video, because it's more efficient than repeating values which haven't changed. I can't really help anymore because I don't use them.
Alexander_99

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:34 pm
gunnerryan wrote:

Also bear in mind that the data is probably delta values, ie the changes since he previous timestamp not absolute figures at given times. That would be the usual way in data like this, as it is for any time series data such as video, because it's more efficient than repeating values which haven't changed. I can't really help anymore because I don't use them.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "changes since previous timestamp"? So say match odds at 40 min are 1.21 and they are still 1.21 at 42 min, they they drop to 1.2 on 44 min...Does this mean the data shown will skip 42 min, and only shows the odds at 40 min and 44 min?
LinusP

It’s the streaming data, details here:

https://historicdata.betfair.com/Betfai ... cation.pdf

https://docs.developer.betfair.com/disp ... Stream+API

As mentioned it’s not easy to use but can be very valuable.

Return to “Betfair Data”