Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

ShaunWhite

Grinderman wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm
I don't understand why any trader working a market that has take sp wants to trade bare positions.
It depends on how you trade. Personally, I start by backing (or laying) early in the day with a view to trade out several hours later. That makes me very susceptible to an outage. You guys on here who wait until 10 minutes before the off to start trading will have minimal exposure.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well, when you open your early position, why not also submit a covering takesp bet at 1.01 or 1000 or similar? If during the day or near the start you close or modify your position, also modify or add/remove a corresponding cover bet with takesp. It could all be done without you even knowing with BA I suspect, but I can't really advise on that.

I'm not suggesting everything will be roses but it can't be worse than having a position with no coverage and just crossing your fingers. I'm not suggesting anyone does what I do, there may be pitfalls I'm blissfully unaware of, but it works for me.
LinusP

Here is the data, contains username, datetime and content.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi3ow15b0ltc3 ... v.zip?dl=0
Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 09.48.38.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grinderman

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 am
Grinderman wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm
I don't understand why any trader working a market that has take sp wants to trade bare positions.
It depends on how you trade. Personally, I start by backing (or laying) early in the day with a view to trade out several hours later. That makes me very susceptible to an outage. You guys on here who wait until 10 minutes before the off to start trading will have minimal exposure.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well, when you open your early position, why not also submit a covering takesp bet at 1.01 or 1000 or similar? If during the day or near the start you close or modify your position, also modify or add/remove a corresponding cover bet with takesp. It could all be done without you even knowing with BA I suspect, but I can't really advise on that.

I'm not suggesting everything will be roses but it can't be worse than having a position with no coverage and just crossing your fingers. I'm not suggesting anyone does what I do, there may be pitfalls I'm blissfully unaware of, but it works for me.
Shaun, are you saying that if I have £1,000 back at 6.00, put in a £100,000 lay at 1.01 with take SP selected?
Naffman

Anyone quit with Betfair then?
Derek27

Just got an apology email from Betfair.
Euler

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm
Well done, I contact somebody senior there during the crash. I've not had any correspondence about it, formally or informally. Classy.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Indeed. But it would be nice if it was correctly punctuated.
Yours pedantically........:-)
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Well done, I contact somebody senior there during the crash. I've not had any correspondence about it, formally or informally. Classy.
Maybe contacting someone bang in the middle of a crisis wasn't the optimum time, unless you knew how to fix it?
I'd always look more kindly on customers who waited until the dust had settled to talk. You know these people though, so I guess you know when they're most receptive.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm
Maybe contacting someone bang in the middle of a crisis wasn't the optimum time, unless you knew how to fix it?
At least emails can be answered when they choose. What gets me is when the railways are in turmoil and the station manager can't do anything to fix it because he's confronted by ten angry passengers!!
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm
Euler wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I'd always look more kindly on customers who waited until the dust had settled to talk. You know these people though, so I guess you know when they're most receptive.
I told him I would follow up this week as he was probably busy, but just wanted to express my frustration and that of my customers.
spreadbetting

I had this message waiting when logging into the website, guess it'll have gone on everyone's account. Sent sometime yesterday.

Untitled.png
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 pm
I had this message waiting when logging into the website, guess it'll have gone on everyone's account. Sent sometime yesterday.

Untitled.png
lol - the SAME issue. I guess that is a great get out clause. This time round, it was the cpu fan (i made that up) next time however, it could be worse - it could be the kettle fuse needs replacing and the server plug is in the closest *adaptor* to the kitchen!! :D
Naffman

I'd be a bit cautious atm
Euler

Some people are getting emails and gestures of goodwill.

https://twitter.com/arberhunter/status/ ... 4241378304

I've got neither this, a message when I log in or anything. Absolutely jack from them, formally or informally. No emails, no explanations or advice to propagate out to my customers.
sa7med

Euler wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am
Some people are getting emails and gestures of goodwill.

https://twitter.com/arberhunter/status/ ... 4241378304

I've got neither this, a message when I log in or anything. Absolutely jack from them, formally or informally. No emails, no explanations or advice to propagate out to my customers.
Perhaps they're still thinking about how to make it up :mrgreen:

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”