Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

SUNSTORM

Hi All ,

I'm new & not a BA user (yet ..) but am fishing for as much info on a topic because I'm in a big dispute with Betfair which has dragged on for a year & which is now with IBAS for arbitration & I have to reply by Mon 2nd Nov or take it to the small claims court.

Last years Rugby World Cup, Outwright Winner market, I placed a bet at 8-9/1 via Mobile Android & Betfair Exchange seemingly automatically matched the vast sum of the bet at crazy low odds of between 1.01-2.02 - which only a lunatic would have consciously agreed to. The screen flashed through & odds seemed to be being matched automatically without my input. Betfair argue I manually input the wrong odds - which is not the case. 90secs later the correct odds were available to bet on. Sounds fishy to me but I need more wider opinions from users who regularly monitor Betfair platform performance etc..

I've searched this thread & can see lots of unhappy posts about Betfair performance issues over the last 18mths but - specifically - I'd be keen to hear of any similar stories, especially if they occurred during the Semi-Final weekend of the Rugby world cup (i.e Sat/Sun 26th/27th Oct 2019 around 8.15-8.30am each day - just before kick offs) or any Sports related bet on the Exchange that weekend that exhibited similar behaviour.

Similarly, if you feel you can explain the issue I'm all ears .. Any info / leads welcomed.

Cheers
Kai

I suggest opening a new thread about that and providing as much detail as possible. Sounds like a fatfinger mistake tbh.
SUNSTORM

Trust me, no fat fingers here .. the screen literally took on a life of it's own for a few seconds as it whizzed down through odds. Never seen anything like it on BFX & I've been using it for 5+yrs as a weekend & festivals horses punter. I wish I'd been screen recording as I think it would have been an open & shut case by now. Thought I'd add to this thread given it's linked to BF performance etc.. & already had a group of regular users linked to it.
Kai

SUNSTORM wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 pm
Thought I'd add to this thread given it's linked to BF performance etc.. & already had a group of regular users linked to it.
You probably thought you'd get more visibility chunking it in this thread, but people are unlikely to needlessly bump this thread because it's practically an "outage thread", a place to report current(!) performance issues and disruptions of service, as the name suggests.

People have recently opened threads with far worse issues and gotten some feedback. Since you have 2 more days to make a decision about your case, I still suggest to open a thread about it and plead your case, to try and work out what happened on that market.
Trader Pat

Market feeling a bit sticky for me right now, hopefully just a minor blip.
Euler

Kai wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 pm
I suggest opening a new thread about that and providing as much detail as possible. Sounds like a fatfinger mistake tbh.
Y, wrong thread for a post like this.
Euler

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:41 pm
Market feeling a bit sticky for me right now, hopefully just a minor blip.
I'm OK at the moment.
Trader Pat

Yeah was only sticky for a short time. One of the listed races at Newmarket though so timing wasn't great.
Derek27

SUNSTORM wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 pm
Thought I'd add to this thread given it's linked to BF performance etc..
This thread is really about the Betfair API and few people on here would be placing bets on the website/app. As advised, start a separate thread and more people may view it.
riskybet

Hi all. Been reading the forums on and off for a while now. Will try to get serious with my trading next week or so.

But what I was wondering about is the following: Wouldnt it be fair to void all markets/bets that gets effected by a betfair crash?

Isnt that possible or wouldnt that be fair? Also wouldnt that be great for all parties involved?What am I missing..

Also bonus question. How many times does betfair crashes on average in a year?

Thanks guys.
Last edited by riskybet on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

riskybet wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:55 am
Hi all. Been reading the forums on and off for a while now. Will try to get serious with my trading next week or so.

But what I was wondering about is the following: Wouldnt it be fair to void all markets/bets that gets effected by a betfair crash?

Isnt that possible or wouldnt that be fair? What am I missing..

Thanks guys.
There's been a lot of discussion about that on this forum but it wouldn't be fair on punters who just places a bet on a winner and finds the bet voided. It would also put punters off using Betfair if they know their bet can be voided.

I'd guess there's 3-5 major outages a year when it's down for over an hour. Shorter periods of downtime or occasions when the markets get 'sticky' and there's a few seconds delay when placing bets are more common.
napshnap

riskybet wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:55 am

Isnt that possible or wouldnt that be fair? Also wouldnt that be great for all parties involved?What am I missing..

Thanks guys.
It's still a gray zone, BF doesn't have clear rules about it in its T&C. So expect anything. In my opinion, best practice is to stop any activity for some time if there is a suspicious unusual API behavior detected (markets freezing, your bot receiving constant errors and etcetera).
NickH

Well I had an issue last week or so and the terms they always refer to in these cases state something like 'when placing an opening bet of a trade, we are not responsible for possible losses if due to a market being suspended / breaking down you are unable to place the counter bet of your trade.'
Smog_Trader

NickH wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 am
Well I had an issue last week or so and the terms they always refer to in these cases state something like 'when placing an opening bet of a trade, we are not responsible for possible losses if due to a market being suspended / breaking down you are unable to place the counter bet of your trade.'
I can confirm that, a while back this was a tweet from their Customer Service team.
BetfairCSCan't trade out.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NickH

That's the one indeed! So in that sense not really a grey area in my opinion, but just bad service from their side if they have to apply this rule too often.

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”