Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

bennyboy351

Euler wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
Betfair turn all trades to bets when the site crashes, so they get a significant boost in commission. If they had to void all markets they would have a financial incentive to avoid crashes.
I can't wait for the day when someone REALLY challenges their virtual monopoly and forces them to change some of their antiquated - and dare I say - all but criminal practices!

:evil:
Last edited by bennyboy351 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jukebox

I'm curious as to who would have been able to match my bet at 15:07
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Why folk want to abuse those who man BetfairCS twitter is beyond me, they are low on the totem pole and nothing to do with them.
Some of their replies are so formulaic they could easily get automated software to reply to tweets. You'd have to be pretty thick-skinned to work at that help desk!
Jukebox

Todays outage on Betfair revealed that Betdaq's marketshare has a convoluted dependency on Betfair - The horseracing on Betdaq during the outage looked more like a greyhound market 10 mins before the off - the marketshare seemed to have disappeared.
If Tesco closed for the day Sainsbury shouldn't suddenly see their own customers vanish.
Dim

Euler wrote:
Betfair turn all trades to bets when the site crashes, so they get a significant boost in commission. If they had to void all markets they would have a financial incentive to avoid crashes.
That makes sense, but I can't imagine "betfair" doesn't care about it reputation. And after the site goes "down" there is less activity after the site is back and running., therefore less commission is generated as a result. Or the amount of commission they would make out of this crash is a lot more, compared to what they would get if the exchange is running normally????
PDC

Jukebox wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm
Todays outage on Betfair revealed that Betdaq's marketshare has a convoluted dependency on Betfair - The horseracing on Betdaq during the outage looked more like a greyhound market 10 mins before the off - the marketshare seemed to have disappeared.
If Tesco closed for the day Sainsbury shouldn't suddenly see their own customers vanish.
I think most of what you see on Betdaq is automated mirroring Betfair moves. There is very little manually traded money I think which is why as soon as the link to Betfair went all the money vanished and as soon as it came back it all reappeared. I don't think it is coincidence.
Jukebox

I agree - Does this therefore mean that Betdaq's share of the market is largely only there to capitalize on spikes in Betfair, occaissionaly provide emergency cover for open postions in a Betfair outage and I daresay provide some sort of Betfair PC minimisation scheme. More of a dependant than a serious rival - or worse a parasite slowly damaging its host?
James1st

Euler wrote:
Thanks for the earlier link Dallas.

Like Jukebox, I would like to understand how my random clicking AFTER the crash would allow those bets to not only make it through the BetAngel interface but also allow Betfair to recieve and match those bets in the minutes following the crash?

I am aware of all the necessary precautions that are advised and tbh, the loss is easily recoverable, so I am not too concerned about that on this occasion. Perhaps we should be advising traders not to hit any keys when Betfair isn't working at peak, lest they lose a lot more than £120.

James
Kafkaesque

Dim wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 pm
That makes sense, but I can't imagine "betfair" doesn't care about it reputation. And after the site goes "down" there is less activity after the site is back and running., therefore less commission is generated as a result. Or the amount of commission they would make out of this crash is a lot more, compared to what they would get if the exchange is running normally????
I think, it's pretty safe at this stage to declare that they do not! Or that should be, of course they care, but not more than they're willing to risk it by graping as much as they can off their best customers, and cutting costs to the point of effecting the product negatively. Whether it's an effect of their de facto monopoly or PP turning the screws on BF exchange running costs, who knows.

All too regular outages, PC, a discount feed provider/inplay issues, and an issue with the start times, combine for a pretty grim picture of how much shit, they think, they can make the customers eat before it hurts the bottom line! The start times are the smallest problem, and yet the the biggest concern imo. It's been weeks without being fixed. If the Romanians, they've hired for peanuts in the IT-department, cannot find and fix whatever bug is causing it within a timeframe of weeks, it spells trouble down the line. I'd hate to see the panic stations during these outages with that level of "expertise".
Derek27

Things have been okay overnight, though I suspect traders will be treading cautiously today.
Jukebox

Be aware - Betfair are doing some more planned maintenance next Thursday 23/8/2018
bennyboy351

Jukebox wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:34 am
Be aware - Betfair are doing some more planned maintenance next Thursday 23/8/2018
Thanks for the heads-up.

:D
MemphisFlash

not just horse racing, footy too.
Euler

We seem to have two threads for site crashes, I'll lock the other and we can use this as the 'official' Betfair site down thread.
eightbo

Sensible, catch you tomorrow guys

https://status.developer.betfair.com/

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”