Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

Derek27

Might be an idea to have a thread dedicated to listing the precise start and finish time of each outage. Or perhaps a spreadsheet that forum members can edit and post back?
Derek27

21:51 Sunray Park very late suspension.
Euler

Here is another reference site for total outages: -

https://downdetector.co.uk/problems/betfair/archive
Grinderman

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm
I don't understand why any trader working a market that has take sp wants to trade bare positions. Every trade I make is automatically paired and then maintainance bets go in anytime my estimate of bsp changes. So far in the outages I've lost no more than the cost of a poor trade, because in the time between the comms outage to start time the price has moved a lot. Obviously inplay is still risky but that's why I never do it on a Saturday. I could have maybe lost a day's wages in the outage a few days ago but talk of whole banks or a week's wages, wow.

You can ride the fluctuations if you're a big-time trader but I personally couldn't be doing with a run of bad outcomes. Part-timers are especially vulnerable as they don't see enough outages for them to be a wash, and they take no precautions over THE largest and pretty much the only risk we face. Everyone knows BF goes down, to not try and mitigate that risk to at least some extent with locked-in accepted closing bets just seems Ike complacency or blind faith in somehow never having a comms problem.
It depends on how you trade. Personally, I start by backing (or laying) early in the day with a view to trade out several hours later. That makes me very susceptible to an outage. You guys on here who wait until 10 minutes before the off to start trading will have minimal exposure.
Derek27

Grinderman wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
I don't understand why any trader working a market that has take sp wants to trade bare positions. Every trade I make is automatically paired and then maintainance bets go in anytime my estimate of bsp changes. So far in the outages I've lost no more than the cost of a poor trade, because in the time between the comms outage to start time the price has moved a lot. Obviously inplay is still risky but that's why I never do it on a Saturday. I could have maybe lost a day's wages in the outage a few days ago but talk of whole banks or a week's wages, wow.

You can ride the fluctuations if you're a big-time trader but I personally couldn't be doing with a run of bad outcomes. Part-timers are especially vulnerable as they don't see enough outages for them to be a wash, and they take no precautions over THE largest and pretty much the only risk we face. Everyone knows BF goes down, to not try and mitigate that risk to at least some extent with locked-in accepted closing bets just seems Ike complacency or blind faith in somehow never having a comms problem.
It depends on how you trade. Personally, I start by backing (or laying) early in the day with a view to trade out several hours later. That makes me very susceptible to an outage. You guys on here who wait until 10 minutes before the off to start trading will have minimal exposure.
The amount of exposure depends on how much you have invested in the market, not how long before the race you start trading. Traders who trade 10 minutes before a race will often be trading all day so we are all equally susceptible to outages.
ShaunWhite

Grinderman wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
I don't understand why any trader working a market that has take sp wants to trade bare positions.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well, when you open your early position, why not also submit a covering takesp bet at 1.01 or 1000 or similar? If during the day or near the start you close or modify your position, also modify or add/remove a corresponding cover bet with takesp. It could all be done without you even knowing with BA I suspect, but I can't really advise on that.

I'm not suggesting everything will be roses but it can't be worse than having a position with no coverage and just crossing your fingers. I'm not suggesting anyone does what I do, there may be pitfalls I'm blissfully unaware of, but it works for me.
LinusP

Here is the data, contains username, datetime and content.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi3ow15b0ltc3 ... v.zip?dl=0
Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 09.48.38.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grinderman

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 am
Grinderman wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
I don't understand why any trader working a market that has take sp wants to trade bare positions.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well, when you open your early position, why not also submit a covering takesp bet at 1.01 or 1000 or similar? If during the day or near the start you close or modify your position, also modify or add/remove a corresponding cover bet with takesp. It could all be done without you even knowing with BA I suspect, but I can't really advise on that.

I'm not suggesting everything will be roses but it can't be worse than having a position with no coverage and just crossing your fingers. I'm not suggesting anyone does what I do, there may be pitfalls I'm blissfully unaware of, but it works for me.
Shaun, are you saying that if I have £1,000 back at 6.00, put in a £100,000 lay at 1.01 with take SP selected?
Naffman

Anyone quit with Betfair then?
Derek27

Just got an apology email from Betfair.
Euler

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm
Well done, I contact somebody senior there during the crash. I've not had any correspondence about it, formally or informally. Classy.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Indeed. But it would be nice if it was correctly punctuated.
Yours pedantically........:-)
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Well done, I contact somebody senior there during the crash. I've not had any correspondence about it, formally or informally. Classy.
Maybe contacting someone bang in the middle of a crisis wasn't the optimum time, unless you knew how to fix it?
I'd always look more kindly on customers who waited until the dust had settled to talk. You know these people though, so I guess you know when they're most receptive.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm
Maybe contacting someone bang in the middle of a crisis wasn't the optimum time, unless you knew how to fix it?
At least emails can be answered when they choose. What gets me is when the railways are in turmoil and the station manager can't do anything to fix it because he's confronted by ten angry passengers!!
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm
Euler wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I'd always look more kindly on customers who waited until the dust had settled to talk. You know these people though, so I guess you know when they're most receptive.
I told him I would follow up this week as he was probably busy, but just wanted to express my frustration and that of my customers.

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”