Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

Euler

BTW and a case in point. Betfair's API streaming is down at the moment.
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 pm
I think the concept of voiding all bets is to make it as painful as possible for Betfair so that they improve service. It's got nothing to do with the fairness of bets struck. if people have genuine bets that are voided then they will put there business elsewhere and that will act as another incentive for Betfair to up their game.
That's why they would never do it, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
pythonic

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:24 pm
That's why they would never do it, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
Yes exactly. If look at other forums then you will see that a lot of people are obsessed with bookies voiding their bets, even if there are valid reasons.
They would hate it maybe even more than the traders here hate outages and betfair would immediately use a lot of volume.
to75ne

could all this discussion be moved to another thread, as everytime i see a new post i am expecting to see reports of real problems with the site, this is watering down the whole purpose of this thread - to warn of crash's and possible crash's etc.
Kai

The way this year is going we're practically going to need a dedicated app or something that will specifically monitor Betfair's stability.
Derek27

to75ne wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:45 pm
could all this discussion be moved to another thread, as everytime i see a new post i am expecting to see reports of real problems with the site, this is watering down the whole purpose of this thread - to warn of crash's and possible crash's etc.
Perhaps in future when there's a major outage, somebody can start a new thread: Betfair outage: 18th May 2019.

I have a feeling this discussion could be active until the next outage. ;)
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:35 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:32 am
Probably a very stupid idea but....

I assume BF know 70% of the time that something is not right and therefore it’s going to go down sooner rather than later due to infrastructure or server load issues.

Assuming they do then why can’t they start a procedure to void new bets and automatically close out existing trades so at least people have the least possible exposure. This should apply to traders and straight back or layers.

When I worked for Shazam they had 16 servers linked to a giant load monitor which set off an alarm if one or more of the servers was struggling well before it actually broke etc.
Not everyone who uses Betfair is a trader. Someone who backed a 20-1 winner would be furious if instead of winning it was closed for a loss.
Problem is you can’t please everyone which is why I doubt BF are going todo anything about it.

Basically you place your bets/trades and hope all goes well or go elsewhere etc.
Derek27

MAJOR OUTAGE - all credit to Betfair for getting through Saturday afternoon. ;)
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gazz

Here we go again, all football matches suspended !!
Dim

f@@@k! again, for a moment I thought it is my internet connection ,I am caught this time
Last edited by Dim on Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaerMyrddin

Good luck everyone!
Derek27

I was just about to look at US racing when I noticed the API is down. I hope most other forum members are done for the day and down the pub.

A Betfair market on when the next outage will occur might be popular. No need to worry about an outage leaving you with an open position as the market would automatically be settled. :lol:
JTEDL

uh oh not again :?:
Dallas

You couldn't make this up!
JTEDL

luckily had no position open, just watching the end of copa del rey final, suspended but streaming ok :lol:

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”