Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

convoysur-2

SWEET LORD--give me strength
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PDC

Not sure what was said before but what the service agent said is correct, once a bet is matched you can't cancel it as it has been matched. If it was unmatched you would still be able to cancel it.
James1st

James1st wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 pm
Well that little episode cost me £120, and I had a winning bet believe it or not!!!

I layed Helf for £62 (between 14.51 and 14.57) and was about to cash out when the screen froze and BF went down. Helf was beaten

My PL shows a £120 loss

Blimey!!!
Betfair have replaced their email support with online support and their reply to my query (see above) was a simple statement (no other conversation)

We are not liable for the failure of any equipment or software howsoever caused, wherever located or administered, or whether under our direct control or not, that may prevent the operation of the Services, impede the placing of offers for bets or the matching of bets, or prevent you from being able to contact us. Please be aware that if you place a bet with the intention of subsequently placing a separate bet to reduce the liability incurred by the initial bet (including by using Betfair’s ‘Cash Out’ functionality), there can never be a guarantee that the Services will be available at the point you wish to place the subsequent bet (this is the case regardless of whether or not the unavailability of the Services is due to a matter beyond our reasonable control). We will not be liable for any failure to perform by a third party to our Agreement. ‘

Doesn't this make trading obsolete?
Dallas

James1st wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:46 pm
James1st wrote:
Well that little episode cost me £120, and I had a winning bet believe it or not!!!

I layed Helf for £62 (between 14.51 and 14.57) and was about to cash out when the screen froze and BF went down. Helf was beaten

My PL shows a £120 loss

Blimey!!!
Betfair have replaced their email support with online support and their reply to my query (see above) was a simple statement (no other conversation)

We are not liable for the failure of any equipment or software howsoever caused, wherever located or administered, or whether under our direct control or not, that may prevent the operation of the Services, impede the placing of offers for bets or the matching of bets, or prevent you from being able to contact us. Please be aware that if you place a bet with the intention of subsequently placing a separate bet to reduce the liability incurred by the initial bet (including by using Betfair’s ‘Cash Out’ functionality), there can never be a guarantee that the Services will be available at the point you wish to place the subsequent bet (this is the case regardless of whether or not the unavailability of the Services is due to a matter beyond our reasonable control). We will not be liable for any failure to perform by a third party to our Agreement. ‘

There are some views on this on the following thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15501
Jukebox

James1st wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:46 pm
James1st wrote:

My PL shows a £120 loss

Blimey!!!

No - it just makes it risky - but then we know that.
Last edited by Jukebox on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TONKER

Well as a positive from todays chaos I finally installed Bet Angel for Betdaq and traded with that this afternoon. Got me out of a potential loss so i'm very pleased!!!
Jukebox

TONKER wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:06 pm
Well as a positive from todays chaos I finally installed Bet Angel for Betdaq and traded with that this afternoon. Got me out of a potential loss so i'm very pleased!!!
Well done.
BetScalper

Just because someone puts stuff in there T&Cs does not mean its legal and/or can't be challenged in a court of law.

Betfair are responsible for the platform, hardware, exchange and any software they are using etc.

However, the problem is they can employ expensive lawyer's.

So, basically, your stuffed.
Jukebox

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me - what would be the alternative? Should they underwrite every matched bet just in case someone might come back and say I was going to cash out most of it?
Euler

Betfair turn all trades to bets when the site crashes, so they get a significant boost in commission. If they had to void all markets they would have a financial incentive to avoid crashes.
bennyboy351

Euler wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
Betfair turn all trades to bets when the site crashes, so they get a significant boost in commission. If they had to void all markets they would have a financial incentive to avoid crashes.
I can't wait for the day when someone REALLY challenges their virtual monopoly and forces them to change some of their antiquated - and dare I say - all but criminal practices!

:evil:
Last edited by bennyboy351 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jukebox

I'm curious as to who would have been able to match my bet at 15:07
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Why folk want to abuse those who man BetfairCS twitter is beyond me, they are low on the totem pole and nothing to do with them.
Some of their replies are so formulaic they could easily get automated software to reply to tweets. You'd have to be pretty thick-skinned to work at that help desk!
Jukebox

Todays outage on Betfair revealed that Betdaq's marketshare has a convoluted dependency on Betfair - The horseracing on Betdaq during the outage looked more like a greyhound market 10 mins before the off - the marketshare seemed to have disappeared.
If Tesco closed for the day Sainsbury shouldn't suddenly see their own customers vanish.
Dim

Euler wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
That makes sense, but I can't imagine "betfair" doesn't care about it reputation. And after the site goes "down" there is less activity after the site is back and running., therefore less commission is generated as a result. Or the amount of commission they would make out of this crash is a lot more, compared to what they would get if the exchange is running normally????

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”