Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

melvidge

Yay! It's back - but do I dare trade the last few races? :geek:
Euler

I'm going to keep an eye on it, but wont engage seriously.
Naffman

You're all addicted ;)
dragontrades

Why don't you retire Peter?
Do you keep going for the buzz?
Naffman

Who couldn't get a buzz out of Chelmsford on a Thursday night after a major outage, doesn't get any better than that :lol:
tiha_patnja

Does anyone keep track on how often do daq matchbook or smarkets crash?
Kafkaesque

dragontrades wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:34 pm
Without wanting to be pretentious enough to answer for Peter....on a general note, why does Bezos, Zuckerberg, Gates, Ronaldo, Mayweather etc. not retire? Not entirely comfortable chucking Peter in with that crowd :D But the reasonings would likely be the same. If you're good enough to have become elite at anything in life, it's likely because you an innate drive to be better than you were yesterday. Hard to do from beach chair, comfy though it may be :)
ShaunWhite

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 pm
dragontrades wrote:
Without wanting to be pretentious enough to answer for Peter....on a general note, why does Bezos, Zuckerberg, Gates, Ronaldo, Mayweather etc. not retire? Not entirely comfortable chucking Peter in with that crowd :D But the reasonings would likely be the same. If you're good enough to have become elite at anything in life, it's likely because you an innate drive to be better than you were yesterday. Hard to do from beach chair, comfy though it may be :)
When your hobby is your job, what's retirement? Find something that you love doing and you'll never work a day in your life.
Euler

dragontrades wrote:
I'll probably never fully retire, I enjoy it too much. Every few months I discover something new and set off on another path. I am planning to hand over the day to day stuff to the kids however.

Imagine having a fruit machine that just constantly pays out. It's almost impossible not to pull the handle.
dragontrades

BF are giving out £15 Sportbook bonus for your forgiveness
Derek27

dragontrades wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:11 pm
I hope you didn't get too badly stung by the outage - still no sign of an explanation from Betfair.

By the way, I have noticed outages only seem to occur in the afternoon UK time. Never had a problem trading in the US or Australia.
Kafkaesque

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 pm
dragontrades wrote:
I hope you didn't get too badly stung by the outage - still no sign of an explanation from Betfair.

By the way, I have noticed outages only seem to occur in the afternoon UK time. Never had a problem trading in the US or Australia.
I thought the same thing. Unless it's BF being absolute incompetent regarding their IT, which I, all things considered, find unlikely, then if free range of speculation is given a whirl then something like a DDoS attack would be my best, rather uneducated, guess. I gather from your previous comments that you only trade horses, and those races will be long gone by the time they're back up. But in the football, there will be a vast sum of money in the market, when they go down. They - obviously - clear unmatched from matches that have gone in-play in the meantime, but those still to start will have a lot of money waiting, that will not be cancelled. And those markets typically fill up with liquidity in the afternoon.

The efficient prices can have moved quite a bit in the meantime, and those to move first once the markets reopen can make a tidy sum.

Pure speculation, I'll say again, just to be clear.
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
dragontrades wrote:

There was one that begun in the early hours and went right into the afternoon, from memory i think it was about 18mths ago maybe around the time they turned the Aus end point off, i know it certainly effected Aus users first it was so early.

Lets just hope its the last for this year at least!
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
dragontrades wrote:

It goes out in Aus almost just as much and the worst thing is there is no other exchange to hedge out, so at least over in the UK we have options.
LinusP

My money is on it being something central (account / balance) thats where the errors seem to have originated from and then it spread to everything, don't think it was DDOS as the site was happily serving traffic before they added the maintenance banner.

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”