Betfair API-NG

spreadbetting

The API key is for your own programs it won't affect any feed from Bet Angel
armadillo

Just thinking into the long term future I'd like to develop a web based app that uses the Betfair API. Primarily I'd like a way of placing orders and aggregating data across different exchanges, etc. Since there are features that doesn't generate profit for Betfair would I be allowed to have API access for such an application?
spreadbetting

As long as you were generating enough commission for Befair they wouldn't be checking if the bets were being placed via your apps or BA. The only people I've seen where access has been denied is because Betfair have seen their accounts as solely being used for data gathering ad not actually betting or betting to very low volumes.
armadillo

But if I started to make an app publicly available (e.g. an Android app) would Betfair need to approve it first or is it just a case of paying for an API key and away I go?
spreadbetting

You can't make an app publicly available as it'd contain your personal key, you'd have to get and pay for a software vendor licence £299 from them if you wanted to distribute it. Plus you'd also have to get them to approve it, nothing to stop you using your delayed key whilst you develop it. Also if it's being given away for free Betfair usually waive the licence fee as it benefits the exchange to have more apps available.

Would be good to see some android apps for betfair as the curret stuff is lacking
xitian

armadillo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm
Just thinking into the long term future I'd like to develop a web based app that uses the Betfair API. Primarily I'd like a way of placing orders and aggregating data across different exchanges, etc.
It wouldn't get approved if you were aggregating data across exchanges. Pretty sure it's within their T&Cs that they won't let you publish anything that combines the use of other exchange APIs. Nothing to stop you doing that yourself for your own benefit, but it won't be allowed as a public app. Seems a shame as it's a common thing in the financial industry to have some sort of smart order routing, but I guess Betfair being in a position of monopoly doesn't want to give competitors any chance at all.
LinusP

BDP wrote: Hi,

Following the recent developer survey we’d like to provide some feedback on some of the points raised by customers both generally and in terms of additional feature requests.

We’ve grouped these into distinct categories:

Market Data & Feeds

We are constantly exploring ways of incorporating new data feeds into the API. Unfortunately, there are restrictions relating to the onward supply of specific data via the API (specifically football related data) but we are investigating the incorporation of other data feeds at the moment, including improved feeds for horse racing.

The inclusion of raceType is on the current API roadmap and we are looking to integrate this data as soon as possible but don’t have a specific ETA.

We are working to make improvements to the consistency of market names & abbreviations across the platform.

We don’t have any plans to add specific results data into the API. Customer who require results data following market settlement can use the historical data service (via https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home). This data includes the result for each runner by name within the free BASIC data files.

We don’t have any plans to remove the time delay associated with in-play betting. This is in place to protect customers when betting in-play and watching transmission described as “live” that may be actually delayed.

Stream API

We have an existing backlog item to add additional filters to the Stream API (including competitionId) but no plans to make any changes to the existing filter name.

We don’t have any plans to change the way we conflate data via the Stream API but historical data is available via https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home in the same format as provided via the Stream API if required for testing & analysis purposes.

Pricing & Charges

We don’t have any current plans to increase/reduce the £299 fee for Live Application Keys.

We received some requests to include an indicator within the API relation to transaction charging. For transaction charging, we recommend that customers count unique the number of betId’s created in a single hour (0000-0059, 0100-0159, 0200-0259). Any transaction fees are offset by the following (Commission + Implied Commission) ÷ 2
where Implied Commission = market losses x 3% which is calculated on a daily basis. Full details can be found via http://www.betfair.com/aboutUs/Betfair.Charges/ > Transaction Charges.

If there any specific questions/queries you’d like us to follow up with you directly please get in touch via Developer Support (https://developer.betfair.com/support/)
armadillo

xitian wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:38 pm
armadillo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm
Just thinking into the long term future I'd like to develop a web based app that uses the Betfair API. Primarily I'd like a way of placing orders and aggregating data across different exchanges, etc.
It wouldn't get approved if you were aggregating data across exchanges. Pretty sure it's within their T&Cs that they won't let you publish anything that combines the use of other exchange APIs. Nothing to stop you doing that yourself for your own benefit, but it won't be allowed as a public app. Seems a shame as it's a common thing in the financial industry to have some sort of smart order routing, but I guess Betfair being in a position of monopoly doesn't want to give competitors any chance at all.
Exactly as I've thought... It is a shame though as like you say FinTech software often routes to different systems depending on what makes most profit.
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:23 pm
I did enjoy the C# programming course (took on UDEMY - excellent), and I can now edit my already built programs and get by.
Peter, It's a while ago now, but do you remember which C# course it was, they've got several on there.
PeterLe

Hi Shaun,
It was :-
C# Basics for Beginners: Learn C# Fundamentals by Coding by Mosh Mahedani
I had the base chassis of a program built for me by a great programmer, Im now able to make slight changes to the code myself
Regards
Peter
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm
Hi Shaun,
It was :-
C# Basics for Beginners: Learn C# Fundamentals by Coding by Mosh Mahedani
I had the base chassis of a program built for me by a great programmer, Im now able to make slight changes to the code myself
Regards
Peter
Thx Peter. Theres' so many to choose from that any recommendation helps.
I'm 'transitioning' from vb :) so even though you'd think I'd need something at a higher level, I'm actually looking for the just principals and once I've got those I'll be off and running I hope..... or I'll panic and rear up in the stalls :?
Euler

Sounding a bit coltish ;)
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:57 pm
Sounding a bit coltish ;)
So you're not just sat thinking about your garden afterall, I assume those wilted rhododendrons were yours ? :)
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm
Mosh Mahedani
I skipped Udamy and subscribed directly to his site. At $18/mo I think I can get through quite a few for a very fair price in the next few months.

I'm liking them so far. He keeps up a good pace which is good on the parts you get straight away and you can always rewind the bits you don't. The productivity tools in VS have come on so so far since I coded professionally and the course is a good way to see the useful ones used in anger.

It's a nice change actually to do some structured learning, it's been too easy to just wander around when you're just doing your own thing. But you do suddenly realise that most of it was in the wrong *&!@% direction. :x

..anyway, 18 bucks well spent so far, cheers.
PeterLe

Good stuff Shaun
There are some good guys on here if ever you get stuck (maybe start a C# Thread) ?
Regards
Peter

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”