Betfair API-NG

jimibt

alas no likelihood of a temporary solution to the betfair AUS wallet, as per the latest update on the thread: https://forum.bdp.betfair.com/showthread.php?p=13840

sigh
kerberus

Fom betfair twitfeed
Exchange Latest: The Australian Wallet is no more!
https://betting.betfair.com/betfair-ann ... 916-6.html
Sep 20 is australian independence day - you get to use real money
jimibt

kerberus wrote:Fom betfair twitfeed
Exchange Latest: The Australian Wallet is no more!
https://betting.betfair.com/betfair-ann ... 916-6.html
Sep 20 is australian independence day - you get to use real money
whilst i accept that a load of developers use the AUS wallet in a way that it wasn't designed for, and therefore shouldn't expect this feature to be maintained, i also know that this workaround has allowed betfair PLC to benefit from many bots that would not take the risk of running, if it were thought that the entire UK wallet was unprotected in any way.

i think it's totally shabby to ignore the many pleas to keep an alternative running, even if it were internally re-routing to the Games wallet, rather than the AUS wallet.
kerberus

I agree, if they keep shutting the door on their customers - they'll go the same way as that other great institution - BHS.
to75ne

can you not use the poker wallet or the exchange bowlacks wallet for the same purpose?
Dallas

A easy way for anyoine who is worried about this is to use the old school method of putting funds into a market well outside the price but using a simple automation file.

Add Prem Lge title market or similar to guardian

At 12:30 rule places a lay at 1.01 for a liability of 80% (or how ever much you want to safe guard) - at 21:30 it cancels all unmatched bets so returns all money back to your betting bank.

Next morning re-apply the rule to the same market and let it repeat the process
xitian

Wildly wrote:
Euler wrote:
Would expect the majority of turnover on Aus markets is from Aus based customers and that turnover will dramatically reduce with bigger latency and not be replaced from Global (UK) customers who operate through the UK night.
I don't think it will be as big a problem as you suspect, apart from perhaps some people who are reliant on time specific strategies.

I've succesfully traded aussie markets for years very successfully despite having a latency problem. I'd imagine the market will change subtly, but generally remain intact.
I hope you're right Peter. What responsiveness numbers do you see on Bet Angel when you trade Aus markets? From Australia I get responsiveness times on Aus markets around 30 to 40 milliseconds but on UK markets minimum 300 and often over 1000. If yours aren't this bad are you using different communication settings when you trade Aus markets from the UK?
This is definitely gonna be reaaal interesting.

Just by loading the new test market for 20th Sept I think it's confirmed that all the services will be located in the UK now. I'm in the UK, and for current AUS markets I get around 300ms response time, whereas the new test market I'm getting 30ms. I guess my server in the AUS is gonna be redundant after the 20th and I can save some money!

I am kinda concerned how this is going to affect liquidity provided by AUS traders though. Anyone have any idea what sort of percentage volume comes from AUS vs UK? I always assumed most of it came from AUS, but maybe I'm wrong...
jimibt

to75ne wrote:can you not use the poker wallet or the exchange bowlacks wallet for the same purpose?
you can but alas not via the api. with the api, you could at will move the money around and therefore mitigate some of your less savoury trading exploits. so by not having an api call that you can invoke based on current positions, you'd have to manually sit with your screens all day and make the transfers by hand.

maybe i'm just lazy tho and it's less of a big deal for others :D
Euler

xitian wrote:Just by loading the new test market for 20th Sept I think it's confirmed that all the services will be located in the UK now. I'm in the UK, and for current AUS markets I get around 300ms response time, whereas the new test market I'm getting 30ms. I guess my server in the AUS is gonna be redundant after the 20th and I can save some money!

I am kinda concerned how this is going to affect liquidity provided by AUS traders though. Anyone have any idea what sort of percentage volume comes from AUS vs UK? I always assumed most of it came from AUS, but maybe I'm wrong...
In the past I've spoken to Betfair UK and AUS about the exchange but it's been difficult to get real information out of either. One thing I did learn was that UK customers never got credited to Betfair AUS for paying commission or PC. So I'd, perhaps, imagine a lot of liquidity was coming from the UK.

I don't think there will be much change in the markets as serious AUS customers will simply do what UK customers have done and locate themselves via the UK.
Wildly

Euler wrote:
xitian wrote:Just by loading the new test market for 20th Sept I think it's confirmed that all the services will be located in the UK now. I'm in the UK, and for current AUS markets I get around 300ms response time, whereas the new test market I'm getting 30ms. I guess my server in the AUS is gonna be redundant after the 20th and I can save some money!

In the past I've spoken to Betfair UK and AUS about the exchange but it's been difficult to get real information out of either. One thing I did learn was that UK customers never got credited to Betfair AUS for paying commission or PC. So I'd, perhaps, imagine a lot of liquidity was coming from the UK.

I don't think there will be much change in the markets as serious AUS customers will simply do what UK customers have done and locate themselves via the UK.
What is involved in set up and cost to 'locate via UK' ? Assume that I know nothing technical about it, except that you mean a UK server not moving house for a longer winter :)

Seems like a decision that will obstruct a lot of new customers in Australia and small customers from becoming more serious.

The markets that will likely be most effected are not the Carnival meetings or the Metro Wednesday & Saturday meetings but all the others where turnover is less than GBP 5K with 5 minutes to go but then gets to GBP 50K within the last few minutes.
jimibt

Dallas wrote:A easy way for anyoine who is worried about this is to use the old school method of putting funds into a market well outside the price but using a simple automation file.

Add Prem Lge title market or similar to guardian

At 12:30 rule places a lay at 1.01 for a liability of 80% (or how ever much you want to safe guard) - at 21:30 it cancels all unmatched bets so returns all money back to your betting bank.

Next morning re-apply the rule to the same market and let it repeat the process
dallas, a worthwhile approach for a single transaction based scenario and definitely a useful tip. the way i use the wallet is that each time i hit a predefined p&l, i transfer the surplus funds out to the AUS wallet. likewise, should the p&l (balance) on the UK wallet drop below a pre-defined threshold, i then effectively close the day by transeferring all funds over to the AUS wallet. this has happened on several occassions. so without an active/dynamic api method, none of this is possible.

fingers xx'd that BF devs (who will be squirming at paddy power's top nobs directive) will push for some compromise until they act in a diligent manner and offer level 1 protection for the active wallet via the api method pencilled to be implemented in FEB 2017 (yes, you read that correctly!)
gazuty

Just catching up on all this. I had noticed there are "test" markets each day in Australia at the moment each morning when I load up markets.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

The 'test' markets have the AUS country code but are hosted by the UK exchange and use the UK wallet. They seem to work as expected - useful from our development point of view to test that AUS quick picks will still work etc.
LinusP

There is some mention of how the new 'async bet placement' will work here:

https://forum.bdp.betfair.com/showthrea ... #post13884
Ok - after further discussion with Betfair, I need to correct/clarify my earlier statement.

It would appear that async bet placement will NOT return a BetId when the call is made.

Instead, it is expected that you will supply a CustomerRef as part of the bet placement call. You will then be able to use the CustomerRef to retrieve the current status of the bet via the standard listCurrentOrders call.

The response received when the bet is placed will re-iterate the bet delay so you know how long to wait in order to query the status of the bet.

Of course, this means that the CustomerRef will have to be persistent, which is another of the changes that are about to be implemented.

If the market suspends during the bet delay period (i.e. between the bet being placed and it hitting the exchange), then the bet will lapse.
As far as I my programs are concerned I don't see the point as it will not prevent the need of a new thread and having a thread running for 200ms compared to 1-8s is meaningless to me. Unless I am missing a benefit this brings?
xitian

For me I think it might simplify things slightly. I already make my bet placements asynchronous, but have to do that manually using language features and tracking personal betIds to match up when the bet requests eventually complete.

I think Betfair's asynchronous bet placement will work well with their streaming API because you can then use it to fire off a bet with no delay, and then wait for the order status to be reported as soon as it's completed. I won't need to faff with my own asynchronous calls and can use their CustomerRef instead of my own implementation.

I agree that the asynchronous bet placement part isn't that useful though. It's really the CustomerRef that's the handy bit. That and the 'StrategyRef'. Especially when things go tits up and you have to restart a program. At the moment it can be impossible to recover your position and book keeping when starting from zero local information (and in particular when you run multiple strategies on one account).

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”