Back the field Servant

Servants, just tap your bell to call them.
randybocina

Hi everyone.

I decided to try a 'Back the field servant' just switching the default 'Lay the field' settings to 'back' with my selected odds and stake. Now I am a little new to this side of trading and as its automated why is the 'Back' bet being taken at SP and not at the odds i've requested? Have I missed something.
Dallas

Did you take SP rather than Keep all unmatched bets?
randybocina

Hi Dallas, As far as i'm aware no.

As soon as the servant has triggered, its backed at the current odds of the field i.e 2.10, 4.5 6.0. 7.0 , 12 etc....and not at the automated odd's requested of 1.30.

As there was already a lay the field servant - I thought it would just be a simple rule changes from 'lay' to 'back' and the odds and stake. So have I missed something?

Also I did the same in the ladder and the order went in at SP on the same race. If there is a SP selection tab on - where would I find it and deactivate.

I just want to do a simple action to back the horse at 1.30 and take a little profit from that race if it win's. Which is 8/10 the likely result.

Thanks for the swift reply :)
Derek27

randybocina wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:12 pm
I just want to do a simple action to back the horse at 1.30 and take a little profit from that race if it win's. Which is 8/10 the likely result.
At odds of 1.3, you need 76.9% winners just to break even, so it will be a very little profit, even if you do manage 8/10 winners.
Geordie

randybocina wrote:
As soon as the servant has triggered, its backed at the current odds of the field i.e 2.10, 4.5 6.0. 7.0 , 12 etc....and not at the automated odd's requested of 1.30.
Unless I misunderstand your post, Betfair always match bets at the best price available, so if you request 1.30 and 3.0 is available, then that's what you get. HTH.
Dallas

randybocina wrote:
Hi Dallas, As far as i'm aware no.

As there was already a lay the field servant - I thought it would just be a simple rule changes from 'lay' to 'back' and the odds and stake. So have I missed something?

Also I did the same in the ladder and the order went in at SP on the same race. If there is a SP selection tab on - where would I find it and deactivate.

Thanks for the swift reply :)
Geordie is right in that Betfair will match all bets at the best price so at those odds all will get matched instantly at their current odds as soon as the servant places them.

What you would need to do is trigger the bets as the odds of each runner trade at those odds, there is an example automation file in the shared files library that will do this, you can start if you want start it via a servant rather than use it as full auto and apply it in advance

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11414

It will back the 1st runner to shorten to those odds but if you read through the thread I have put instructions on how to back the 2nd and 3rd runner etc - but at those sort of odds you wont make a profit if any additional bets get placed
randybocina

Thanks for this. I will have a look and see how I get on with it. I know what everyone is saying about the profit but I'm not looking at making mega bucks with it but if I can get a little nibble as part of my trading I will take it. :)
randybocina

Just a follow up on how I've been getting with this. I am making a small profit every day how ever like everyone has said if you get hit with another horse hitting the front it can wipe you out.

Regarding the quote below from Dallas is it possiable to put a trigger the servant / automation to 'lay' or 'greenup' as a recovery stake to reduce the overall loss by triggering the 2nd and 3rd runner etc....

'It will back the 1st runner to shorten to those odds but if you read through the thread I have put instructions on how to back the 2nd and 3rd runner etc - but at those sort of odds you wont make a profit if any additional bets get placed'

Thanks
ShaunWhite

randybocina wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 pm
is it possiable to put a trigger the servant / automation to 'lay' or 'greenup' as a recovery stake to reduce the overall loss by triggering the 2nd and 3rd runner etc....

'It will back the 1st runner to shorten to those odds but if you read through the thread I have put instructions on how to back the 2nd and 3rd runner etc - but at those sort of odds you wont make a profit if any additional bets get placed'

Thanks
Yes, just apply a Greening rule with a negative profit condition. You don't need to back the 2nd & 3rd as it will lay the 1st choice.

Return to “Bet Angel - Servants”