Football trading : Betfair - In-play Football bet placement delays

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Post Reply
User avatar
Euler
Posts: 16487
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm
Location: Bet Angel HQ
Contact:

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Just catching up on email and spotted this from Betfair: -

Football Bet Delays
We wanted to clarify the situation regarding the Bet Delays applied on our football matches across the Exchange:

Premier League

5 seconds delay for all games provided there is a radio commentary available (available for most games)

6 seconds delay for all games without radio commentary

Running Ball feed available for all games

Champions League

5 seconds delay if the match has BBC Radio 5Live or TalkSPORT commentary if the game is in the UK

9 seconds delay is there isn’t radio commentary

Running Ball are not permitted in the grounds so we use a combination of Running Ball, TV feeds and Bet Radar

Other Top Leagues

Majority of matches are run at a 6 seconds delay (approx 85%)

Championship games on UK TV are manually managed and are run with an 8 seconds delay

Only Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Roma, Napoli, Inter, AC Milan games are manually managed when on UK TV; these have an 8 seconds delay

Longer Delay Matches

These are due to there being no live score feed providers sending information from the stadiums of these leagues

Swedish Allsvenskan – 12 seconds
Turkish Super League and Division 1 – 12 seconds
Spanish Primera – 9 seconds
Segunda Division and Spanish Cup – 12 seconds
Norwegian Tippeligaen – 12 seconds
Asian Leagues (Non-Peak Time) – 12 seconds

User avatar
Euler
Posts: 16487
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm
Location: Bet Angel HQ
Contact:

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:39 pm

What's the betting that a lot of money was made in those latter leagues before Betfair upped the delay time ;)

convoysur-2
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 am

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:29 pm

i often thought about going to those local irish league games finn harps etc,once i see who the guy is i have my mates stand beside him and knock the tingy midodger out of his hand,
you know ,all is fair in love and war,gaelic football rules,
the more im thinking about it,the better the idea sounds,,
Marc

User avatar
ronnie2113
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 am

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Is these delay stats still valid today? ;)

max_usted
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Euler wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:39 pm
What's the betting that a lot of money was made in those latter leagues before Betfair upped the delay time ;)
I remember Chinese Super League matches in the Unders markets where you'd see thousands disappear from the 'back' side a good few seconds before the market was suspended for every goal scored.
Last edited by max_usted on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Euler
Posts: 16487
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm
Location: Bet Angel HQ
Contact:

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 pm

ronnie2113 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 pm
Is these delay stats still valid today? ;)
I've no idea TBH.

User avatar
psychoff
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Totally bullshit!!! Especially for the Turkish league (and possibly for the others).

I watch Turkish league 1 & 2 from the fastest pictures available in the earth and they are able to suspend the market just 1 second after a goal (or penalty, red card etc.). so there is no need to make this delays 12 seconds!

Whatever the conditions are, I dont remember any other example in the industry who sets the delays for 12 seconds including all bookmakers and betting exchanges!

Until this year, they were setting the delay for Spanish La liga to 9 seconds. This was also bullshit! Finally this year they fixed this, now all matches are 5 seconds. The markets are more exciting, more money matching and as a result they are getting much more commission!

User avatar
LeTiss
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I've never heard a reasonable response as to why there are any delays at all.

spreadbetting
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:42 pm

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm
I've never heard a reasonable response as to why there are any delays at all.
If there weren't delays the markets would be pretty much dead as the only people winning would be people playing fastest finger first with the Betfair suspend guy for when goals went in and my money would be on anyone other than the Betfair guy to come out first. Most people want some protection against their bets being hoovered when a goal goes in, obviously 12 seconds is too large. I'd agree with it being pointless having delays for things like horse racing where the market never suspends in play but for markets like football it's a must.

User avatar
Kafkaesque
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 am

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:54 pm

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:42 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm
I've never heard a reasonable response as to why there are any delays at all.
If there weren't delays the markets would be pretty much dead as the only people winning would be people playing fastest finger first with the Betfair suspend guy for when goals went in and my money would be on anyone other than the Betfair guy to come out first. Most people want some protection against their bets being hoovered when a goal goes in, obviously 12 seconds is too large. I'd agree with it being pointless having delays for things like horse racing where the market never suspends in play but for markets like football it's a must.
Indeed, look no further than NHL and MLB for evidence. They're likely never going to be huge inplay markets, but they are completed dead, bar breaks in play. On the flip side of that, it does work for the NFL, despite game-turning plays go unsuspended.

Post Reply

Return to “Football trading”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests