Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
TraderFred

Kafkaesque wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:39 pm
[(I don't include WBA, because I can't make heads or tails of what in the world, Bilic is attempting to do tactically).
I think WBA are playing with Robinson up top, supported by players either side? Not quite sure, though Robinson was playing last man against Chelsea and bilic said in an interview that he sees him as a striker who can play out wide, as opposed to a wide player who can play up front.

I only know this as I looked him up as he is one of few strikers listed as a midfielder in the sun dream team ! I was going to buy him, though couldn’t find any evidence of him taking penalties, so bought klich from Leeds instead !
Kafkaesque

You couldn't make this sh!t - no pun intented - up....Dier sprinting off the pitch on 70-75 minutes and down the tunnel. And Mourinho running after him, like a supply teacher after a naughty school boy. Within 20 seconds of Mourinho going in the locker room, Dier comes sprinting back out, while tying up the string on his shorts :lol:
Kai

Kafkaesque wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:55 pm
You couldn't make this sh!t - no pun intented - up....Dier sprinting off the pitch on 70-75 minutes and down the tunnel. And Mourinho running after him, like a supply teacher after a naughty school boy. Within 20 seconds of Mourinho going in the locker room, Dier comes sprinting back out, while tying up the string on his shorts :lol:
Was the Chelsea lineup that scary? And isn't this what a good manager is supposed to do, supply his players with the right tools to win the match? This does include toilet paper FYI.

One does not simply do a Gary Lineker on the pitch anymore, there are far too many cameras around nowadays.

Rumour has it the FA is seriously considering adding a Porta Potty next to the pitch itself for the second half of the season.
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:19 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Was the Chelsea lineup that scary? And isn't this what a good manager is supposed to do, supply his players with the right tools to win the match? This does include toilet paper FYI.

One does not simply do a Gary Lineker on the pitch anymore, there are far too many cameras around nowadays.

Rumour has it the FA is seriously considering adding a Porta Potty next to the pitch itself for the second half of the season.
They can stick the VAR monitor in there/down there, while they're at it....
Kai

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm
Kai wrote:
Kafkaesque wrote:

Shitty jokes aside, I thought VAR was doing excellent work thus far? At least much better than last season.
Kafkaesque

Kai wrote:
Kafkaesque wrote:

The funny bit aside, my complaint is what the f Mourinho is doing. Is he really that at the mercy of his emotions? Surely he should be pitchside, organising his team. Being a central defender down and all. Send an assistant to rip into Dier and/or find out if he's returning shortly for crying out loud!
Kai wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:51 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm
Kai wrote:

Shitty jokes aside, I thought VAR was doing excellent work thus far? At least much better than last season.
It has gotten miles better imo. The ref going to check when it's not a 100% thing, helps give the whole thing a better feeling, and they've been quite a bit faster with decisions.

I assume from your wording, that's your impression as well? The thing is. Those improvements help, but were never the main issue for me in the first place.

Weirdly, the two default lines in a football vs US sports debate has been on the one side, US sports are too fragmented with stops all the time, therefore - among other reasons - football is the better (spectator) sport. That's been blown to pieces, by VAR making it stop-start. Then on the other side, football has too few goals/scoring situations, and therefore US sports are the superior (spectator) sport. Which stands, and even the argument of the few but by that very nature (the low number) more meaningfull goals are more special has partly been ruined by VAR.

That is my main objection. The people who dreamt up VAR hasn't been in the stands celebrating a goal, like a bloody caveman; that's a guarentee! Because that, even as a tactical nerd and these days a xG nerd, is the essence of football. They've taken that away from us. The pure joy of a goal. There's nothing more anti-football than the letdown of thinking your team has scored a goal, and then having it taken away. No amount of improving VAR can change that.

If there's an insistence of keeping VAR, I would take a page out of the book of the masters of stop-start sports, over in the US. I've been watching a fair bit of the NHL lately. They have a rule that a team can challenge any ref decision, goal etc. If you win the challenge, yippee. If you lose it, you get a 2 minutes penalty for a player, nicely named "delay of game". NHL has the advantage of a 2 minute penalty already being in place, so it'll have to be "invented" for football.

Something like going down a man for 15 minutes, and the opposition choosing which player it is (outside of the GK, of course), if you lose the challenge. You can challenge for up to two minutes after the incident, a goal is scored by the opposition, or there's a pen awarded for the opposition. Whichever comes first. The 15 minutes is off the top of my head. It doesn't matter, outside of making it a sanction where it's severe enough to get back to only clear and obvious mistakes being looked at, because managers won't chance it, unless they're very confident.
Kai

Liverpool lineup for tonight apparently leaked, idk how reliable this one is. Kept happening in the past until Klopp put a stop to it.

Trader Pat

It looks like CAS ordered UEFA to give Man City an easy draw in the Champions League! :D Porto, Olympiakos and Marseille

Liverpool not too bad either Ajax (not the team they were after selling everyone) Atalanta (looking forward to that) and FC Midtjylland (should be handy enough)

As for Man Utd's draw words arent necessary :lol: :lol:

Chelsea got a tough one too
Kafkaesque

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 pm
It looks like CAS ordered UEFA to give Man City an easy draw in the Champions League! :D Porto, Olympiakos and Marseille

Liverpool not too bad either Ajax (not the team they were after selling everyone) Atalanta (looking forward to that) and FC Midtjylland (should be handy enough)

City's are easy on paper, but they're all wildcards which could be trouble, though less so with no/reduced crowds.

Realistically, Midtjylland should be two wins, but if Pool show up expecting so (not that I'd think so with a Klopp team), they've got another thing coming. Midtjylland are a Matthew Benham team, and they play the moneyball numbers to the extreme. If it's deemed plus EV - depending on opponents - they'll play every throw-in as an attacking set piece, Pulis style :lol: If not, they'll adjust. Just as an example. We'll see against a Van Dijk led defense. FC Copenhagen is Celtic/Rangers level in Denmark and iirc has three times the budget of any other team in Denmark. Winning the league and getting here in CL terms is Leicester-like. They'll come out with a combo of absolutely fired up (because this'll be once in a lifetime for most of them) and a very, very well-planned math-based approach. Expect two wins, but no strolls imo.
Trader Pat

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:48 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 pm

City's are easy on paper, but they're all wildcards which could be trouble, though less so with no/reduced crowds.

Realistically, Midtjylland should be two wins, but if Pool show up expecting so (not that I'd think so with a Klopp team), they've got another thing coming. Midtjylland are a Matthew Benham team, and they play the moneyball numbers to the extreme. If it's deemed plus EV - depending on opponents - they'll play every throw-in as an attacking set piece, Pulis style :lol: If not, they'll adjust. Just as an example. We'll see against a Van Dijk led defense. FC Copenhagen is Celtic/Rangers level in Denmark and iirc has three times the budget of any other team in Denmark. Winning the league and getting here in CL terms is Leicester-like. They'll come out with a combo of absolutely fired up (because this'll be once in a lifetime for most of them) and a very, very well-planned math-based approach. Expect two wins, but no strolls imo.
Watched Midtjylland last night and didnt think much of them, Slavia had control of the game but then fell apart. I don't know much about Danish football though so I'm always glad to be proved wrong! :)

I'm really looking forward to the LIverpool - Atalanta games, Atalanta scored 98 goals in Serie A last season and already have 8 in 2 games this season. They can't keep a clean sheet though so should be great to watch.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Liverpool lineup for tonight apparently leaked, idk how reliable this one is. Kept happening in the past until Klopp put a stop to it.

Nearly not quite though!

Van Dijk and Salah both start, great to finally have the squad depth to properly go for the domestics cups

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first- ... up-arsenal
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:36 pm
Kai wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Nearly not quite though!

Van Dijk and Salah both start, great to finally have the squad depth to properly go for the domestics cups

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first- ... up-arsenal
Yeah, pretty close, Shaq probably got injured in the meantime for the umpteenth time and we don't want Robbo playing here anyway :)
Vaz0202

Hi,

Not a trading question but more a football betting question.
Does anyone have any advice in tackling the 1+ Corner each time, each half market?
I have found a site that provides me with the data I need to establish the above but just wondering if there is other factors I should take into consideration when narrowing my selection criteria?

Many thanks
Euler

Sadio Mane tests positive for Covid-19
Derek27

South Korean match hasn't gone IP.

Return to “Football trading”