Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 am
[
I'm not defending it, just working out of it's incompetence or just that it's not a big priority in the first place. Maybe the staff involved were averting a bigger problem that kept more clients happy, that would be staggering competence? And not enough staff on call for simultaneous problems would be just how most places are, even banks. It's not good but it's never really possible to know what's happened and why.
Turning the wrong market in play to avert a bigger problem! :D I know you want to defend Betfair and keep those freebies coming but you need to give your tongue a break sometimes, Shaun.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 am
Would be interesting to know what % of customers this affected, probably very low. It won't bother straight punters much, it won't bother traders who don't do football, or those who trade football but don't do games like this. Even here I don't suppose it's affect that many. Staggering incompetence really only applies to things that were staggeringly important to start with.
Sorry Shaun but I cannot agree that staggering incompetence is dependant upon staggering importance. If I sat an A level exam for VBA Coding I would be shown up as "staggeringly incompetent" but in no way would knowledge of VBA Coding be considered "staggeringly important"! The two are mutually exclusive. To mix the management of two events is clearly a show of incompetence the only question is is it staggeringly so? I believe it is. I was in the financial industry and had to conform initially with FSA 1986 and the evolution of compliance within that industry. If a stockbroker or other provided a service to the low standard Betfair does the Regulators would be down on them like a ton of bricks with a very heavy fine and they would have to quickly implement better systems/markets or be out of business.
Dallas

Scottish football fans allowed back in stadiums from 14th Sept at reduced capacity
LeTiss

:lol: Reduced capacity?

Apart from Celtic and Rangers, that won't make any difference to the rest of the league
LeTiss

Arsenal look good value to me. Chelsea have been nowhere near consistent enough to back at 2.22
Euler

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:49 am
Arsenal look good value to me. Chelsea have been nowhere near consistent enough to back at 2.22
I'd be interested to see how much gets matched today.
spreadbetting

Apparently football turnover was up around 20%
wearthefoxhat

Just trying to absorb the betting for next years' Premier League.

PremierLeague20.21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyskier

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:49 am
My thoughts precisely Le Tiss. I was frankly astounded to see I could get on Arsenal at 4s! Their history in the Cup is second to none and even versus Chelsea, so it was really poorly priced IMO. I must confess a little doubt crept in after the poor start and subsequent Chelsea goal, but I didn't panic and managed to get a profit locked in after the wonderful Aubameyang penalty. I guessed he'd score after his double in the semi and also 2.5+ and BTTS. The only disappointment was that Giroud didn't score, costing me £25, but nonetheless a greatpayout for small stakes overall.

CS
Footy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

I'm on Chinese Super League - Henan v Guangzhou

84 mins 1-1, there's a yellow card

All the bookies reopen their markets, BF exchange is suspended for 3 mins until 87th minute

Who's responsible for these ongoing issues. The quality of service is so poor at times
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:02 am
If I sat an A level exam for VBA Coding I would be shown up as "staggeringly incompetent" but in no way would knowledge of VBA Coding be considered "staggeringly important"! The two are mutually exclusive.
If you're sitting an exam for it then it's obvioulsy important to you if not the wider world. That was my point. It's only important to the very few people affected by it and without knowing anything about how support is run, or priorities at the time, or what issues they might have with info feeds from 100s of venues nobody can say how they're doing.
firlandsfarm wrote:
I was in the financial industry and had to conform initially with FSA 1986 and the evolution of compliance within that industry. If a stockbroker or other provided a service to the low standard Betfair does the Regulators would be down on them like a ton of bricks
Ditto, Financial IT 85-05. tbh the info processed and supplied by brokers and exchanges in financials is a piece of cake compared to what Betfair pull off on a daily basis. It's all centralised and shared for a start whereas Betfair are trying to do the whole process from having an agent at every sports event on the planet to processing 1000s of trades per millisecond with a latency of about 180ms. I'm not saying they're perfect but I don't see many people with first hand experience of writing or supporting a mutil-location realtime transaction processing system complaining much. It's f-kin difficult.
Euler

Betfair had their markets ops team at Hammersmith originally and if you went there you could see people managing the markets by watching the sports.

But when Betfair 'merged' with Paddy Power at lot of jobs that were considered duplicated were culled. So market management is now outsourced to the third-party company that employees students and waifs to attend events and relay that information to the third party, who then sends it to Betfair.

You can sort of get away with that as a bookie, but not on an exchange IMHO.

I've seen many events where there is only one main match on TV and they get it all wrong. All they need to do is have somebody watching SKY to solve the problem in this case.

These issues are process issues and related to cost-cutting.
Atho55

Instead of trying to cover every sports event on the planet and do it poorly why not cover less and do it better than anyone else.

They have a captive clientele so can pretty much do as they like until a better run setup comes along.
ShaunWhite

Atho55 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 pm
Instead of trying to cover every sports event on the planet and do it poorly why not cover less and do it better than anyone else.

They have a captive clientele so can pretty much do as they like until a better run setup comes along.
You've answered your own question. Anyone with a monopoly cuts corners until their monopoly is threatened. They're not a charity so you can't expect them to spend money unless they benefit, and they clearly don't see an improvement in service being likely to pay for itself in turnover.

They'll only change when the bottom line is threatened but everytime they cock up and some sort of affirmative action might make a difference it's greeted with a resounding can't be bothered.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
If I sat an A level exam for VBA Coding I would be shown up as "staggeringly incompetent" but in no way would knowledge of VBA Coding be considered "staggeringly important"! The two are mutually exclusive.
If you're sitting an exam for it then it's obvioulsy important to you if not the wider world. That was my point. It's only important to the very few people affected by it and without knowing anything about how support is run, or priorities at the time, or what issues they might have with info feeds from 100s of venues nobody can say how they're doing.
Sorry Shaun but can't agree, not "obviously important". I sometimes sit 'exams' on the Internet when waiting for something to happen like "can you name these past British classic cars" but that's not important to me! :)

Return to “Football trading”