Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:59 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Unless they go into complete meltdown, by which I mean something along the lines of being closer to relegation than top 4, then I cannot see them sacking him at ANY stage this season.

Things being what they are, with the transfer ban and them already taking a bit of a punt in hiring him, I'd say they're okay with it being a transition season, for once, despite their usual trigger happy nature.
I agree. Who would go there with two windows closed? Pullis? That would rile the fans for sure. Roman's trigger-happy nature and the transfer ban has really compromised what Chelsea can achieve and what they can do to attract a top manager. So they're stuck. It's all on Lampard's shoulders.

Well, they're still have big pull, I'd say. A ton a hugely talented youth coming through and still a top 10 in the World in terms of economic strength, once the market is open to them again. And you'd suspect, they'd have serious spending power, with Hazard leaving for a big fee and no incomings for that money.

In the medium to long term, I still feel they can get a lot of the World's top manager, bar the very, very best.

In the short term, should things implode for Lampard, then Steve Holland would be the obvious one.
But Roman has zero reputation of promoting from within. His MO is to buy success. But he currently cannot.
Euler

Xtra time. Liverpool play again on Saturday away at Saints.
Archangel

Euler wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:52 pm
Xtra time. Liverpool play again on Saturday away at Saints.
Saints currently 6/1 for that
Euler

That didn't look like a pen and VAR didn't correct the error.
Archangel

Game should have gone straight to pens. Playing 90 mins + extra time at this stage of the season is mad
Dublin_Flyer

Abrahams penalty is 2nd only to Diana Ross's in the 1994 World Cup opening ceremony for shockingly bad. :lol:
Kai

Adrian becomes a Liverpool legend after 2 games, that's quite a career turnaround.
Kafkaesque

greenmark wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:15 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:59 pm

I agree. Who would go there with two windows closed? Pullis? That would rile the fans for sure. Roman's trigger-happy nature and the transfer ban has really compromised what Chelsea can achieve and what they can do to attract a top manager. So they're stuck. It's all on Lampard's shoulders.

Well, they're still have big pull, I'd say. A ton a hugely talented youth coming through and still a top 10 in the World in terms of economic strength, once the market is open to them again. And you'd suspect, they'd have serious spending power, with Hazard leaving for a big fee and no incomings for that money.

In the medium to long term, I still feel they can get a lot of the World's top manager, bar the very, very best.

In the short term, should things implode for Lampard, then Steve Holland would be the obvious one.
But Roman has zero reputation of promoting from within. His MO is to buy success. But he currently cannot.
Zero, really? Di Matteo ;)

An outlier among the many managers, Chelsea have had under his ownership, for sure. But likewise an outlier in terms of how things are done in England (at least since the EPL money started really pouring in). I'm struggling to even remember the last time an English side of any sort of decent size promoting within, Di Matteo aside! Martin Jol, maybe if you wanna count a few months at Spurs as from within. O'Leary like two decades ago is the only one otherwise, who springs to mind. Probably missing someone. By my count, he's got a huge reputation for promoting from within by EPL standards ;)

In any case, Holland isn't at Chelsea anymore, so wouldn't even be from within as such.
Kai

I agree that Frank shouldn't be under any real pressure this season, very different circumstances compared to previous managers. I feel Chelsea will be fine if they keep putting in performances like this despite having two very harsh results. Zouma was directly at fault for losing both games, he's an absolute trashbag.
Archangel

It will be really interesting to see what happens with Lampard. As hes a Chelsea legend, and they have a transfer ban, would imagine he will be given time. But then the owner is quite unpredictable and if they are struggling mid season it might be different.

Bit worried about Pool also, they have put in some quite poor defensive performances the last 3 games. They looked rock solid in that area last season.
Kai

Alisson injury suggests it may take quite a bit of time before Liverpool get back to their defensive level, the new reserve goalie Adrian just got a huge boost but I still expect more defensive issues.

Like Peter has already hinted last night, their biggest problem right now is that they play Southampton away so soon, there was already an opportunity to create a free swing trade soon as the game was approaching extra time. Can only speculate at this point on how the game will unfold but you can already more or less put together a team that should start for Liverpool, based on who didn't start Chelsea and who got subbed, and then decide whether that team is worthy of being priced at 1.50 and whether there's any drift potential. They should be fine in midfield, but their back line and their attacking trio could include some surprises.
Archangel

Its certainly a big test of their squad, they also have other world club commitments later in the year.
Test for Klopp too who decided not to add to the squad in the summer
Kai

The squad should get even weaker with Lovren expecting to leave for Italy, he's not happy being 4th choice CB. Klopp apparently wants to free up space for van den Berg and Hoever to develop. Fabinho can cover at CB and fullback in a pinch as well, like he did last season. Ox, Lallana and Brewster are practically considered new signings after long-term injuries so it's still a very good squad.
Archangel

Kai wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 am
The squad should get even weaker with Lovren expecting to leave for Italy, he's not happy being 4th choice CB. Klopp apparently wants to free up space for van den Berg and Hoever to develop. Fabinho can cover at CB and fullback in a pinch as well, like he did last season. Ox, Lallana and Brewster are practically considered new signings after long-term injuries so it's still a very good squad.
Not sure if Lallana is up to much anymore. Ox has been off a long time, Brewster is a kid. Its a lot to ask those guys to step into the team and level of the others. Saw the difference Firmino made when he came on
Kai

Klopp says Adrian a doubt for Southampton with swollen ankle after being injured by a fan who ran on the pitch during Super Cup final celebrations.

Return to “Football trading”