Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
wearthefoxhat

Atho55 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:28 pm
Anyone have an opinion on this..

https://help.smarkets.com/hc/en-gb/arti ... ll-trading

Any info to add the stats melting pot is useful, this included.

My view, it's important not to over estimate home advantage, unless other factors are taken into account.

1. Who's scoring the goals and assisting. (are they fit and selected to play)
2. Shots on target/Corners/Possession % v similar opposition/formations
3. The away teams' defensive record

Of course there are no guarantees, but during the game, patterns do emerge and repeat themselves.
Kafkaesque

Kai wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:16 pm
What do Geordies think about this if there's any on here?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... -fans.html
Not a Geordie, but I'll wade in all the same :)

I'm not a fan of this guy owning a PL club, but the PL sold their soul a long time ago and has been upping the ante several times along the way. I fail to see why the line should arbitrarily be drawn here.

So if he's coming to the PL, it's hard to find a set of fans more deserving of a McMoneybags coming than them bunch based on the last however many years.
Kai

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:11 pm
Kai wrote:

I'm not a fan of this guy owning a PL club, but the PL sold their soul a long time ago and has been upping the ante several times along the way. I fail to see why the line should arbitrarily be drawn here.

So if he's coming to the PL, it's hard to find a set of fans more deserving of a McMoneybags coming than them bunch based on the last however many years.
Yeah, they've gone through some ups and downs recently (whoops) but I hope the campaign against the Saudis picks up after the open letter. Tifo has done a good informative video on them recently, as per usual : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMD291LXzaU

I'd like to see the American Henry Mauriss get the club instead, he's a Spurs fan who would like to mimic what John Henry has done with Liverpool.
greenmark

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:11 pm
Kai wrote:

Not a toon either but Saudi Arabia has been a civil rights issue all my adult life. My first boss used to chuckle that you only steal once in Saudi 'cos they cut off your hands. His reference was the Daily Express.
I do believe this is a step too far, but then even states are entitled to opportunities for redemption. Perhaps being in the EPL might expose them to opinions that might change their brutal approach to the Yemen.
Given the oil price situation, you'd think they need as many friends as possible.
ShaunWhite

The old saying is that you keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Keeping the Saudis out of the PL won't make their abuses stop it'll just mean that people here don't have to think about it, in the same way they didn’t think about it before it was mentioned alongside sport.

More involvement with states like this is a good thing if it informs a certain demographic here about what goes on in the wider world, and makes them more aware of much more serious concerns such as successive 'respectable' governments selling the Saudis arms. You can't grumble about the Saudis being involved in football if in almost every other way we continue to do business with them.
Euler

The EPL sold their soul a long time ago, so I don't think this is anything different really. Newcastle has always been a bit of an underperformer, so another club with top-six potential could make things a bit more interesting.

It would be better if footy was footy like in the 'good' old days, but we are far removed from that now.

I actually really enjoyed my football again when Saints were fighting for promotion in League Two. Suddenly the football seemed a bit more real again. I sort of dreaded them getting back into the Premier League and the annual struggle for survival and the odd home win.
Kai

Well the Geordies were nearly 97% in favor of the Saudi takeover before this, and by looking at their forums that percentage hasn't changed much.

I mean, reading about your potential owners dismembering people is not something you read every day in your local newspaper, but they seem to be trying to ignore it and are extremely annoyed that the takeover process is taking so many weeks.
ShaunWhite

It's a fair point Peter but I'd rather lose every week in the premiership and finish 20th in the country as a whole rather than win every week in a lower league and be the 150th best club. I suppose it's a balance between my club's success and my personal entertainment.

Surely it breaks some fundamental rule of being a fan to wish ill on your own club? Just don't get caught cheering those goals against :D
wearthefoxhat

LeTiss

I haven't been this excited, since I received a sparkling red Tomahawk bike for Christmas 1975

Back then my legs were going like the clappers
In the 90's when shagging around Southampton nightclubs, my ass was going like the clappers
Today, my fingers and thumbs are going like the clappers

I'm back
Life is good
Euler

LeTiss wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:21 am
I haven't been this excited, since I received a sparkling red Tomahawk bike for Christmas 1975

In the 90's when shagging around Southampton nightclubs, my ass was going like the clappers

I'm back
Life is good
Post of the season!
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am
LeTiss wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:21 am

I'm back
Life is good
Post of the season!
We've all missed the LeTiss humor in these recent months

:lol:
Trader Pat

This is not so much football as an experiment, lets hope it works!
LeTiss

After a few weeks out + empty stadiums - formguides are almost redundant

Clearly, a HUGE boost in money matched though!
£1.7m on Dortmund v Schalke pre-event. German liquidity plummeted when Betfair were banned in Germany, so this is a welcome sight
Euler

BvB players going mental after their first goal today.

EYJT_S_XYAInLFo copy.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Football trading”