Lionel Messi - The greatest player ever, and ever will be

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
vankancisco

Thought the commentator was spot on tonight with that statement. Messi's career resembles something of pure fantasy. If it was made up, it would be dismissed as being too far fetched and unrealistic. Messi's talent is extraordinary, but perhaps just as astonishing is the consistency and length of time he has displayed it. With potentially much more to come.

How good would it feel to have that much talent at your disposal, a true genius.
RentonT

Love Messi :)
Fernando Stinnett

Yeah! He is a "complete" striker and also functions in a playmaking role. But CR7 is not bad too.
Last edited by Fernando Stinnett on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max_usted

vankancisco wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 pm
Thought the commentator was spot on tonight with that statement. Messi's career resembles something of pure fantasy. If it was made up, it would be dismissed as being too far fetched and unrealistic. Messi's talent is extraordinary, but perhaps just as astonishing is the consistency and length of time he has displayed it. With potentially much more to come.

How good would it feel to have that much talent at your disposal, a true genius.
Best player I've ever seen.

Must admit Ronaldo (fat) (Brazilian) before his injury troubles was more exciting to watch than Messi, he was just so explosive. But Messi is far more complete, didn't get injured and has achieved much more.

I'm sure there will be a player who receives similar levels of hyperbole when Messi departs, as it's natural to lavish praise on the best at any particular time. I remember when people said quite similar things about Luis Figo - even though he was crap and never did anything apart from lose the ball. But Messi is so much more deserving and certainly the best I've ever seen.
firlandsfarm

Ahhh, the "best ever" conundrum. Nobody will ever know who is the best ever because nobody has ever seen every footballer or whatever play since the game was invented! Who is to say that Messi is the 'best ever'? How does he compare with Alex James of Arsenal and Scotland or Dixie Dean of Everton and England in the 1930's, players well before living lifetimes?

Why is he the greatest ever, why are strikers the usual suspects for such awards? Gordon Banks stopped more goals than Messi has scored, does that not mean he is greater? How do you compare Messi with Pelé, Eusébio or Jimmy Greaves who just creep into my living lifetime. And what about the quality of the opposition? Put three or four Premier League teams into Div. 1 and I'm sure many would score a hatful of goals, look at Celtic. And lastly and perhaps more importantly the best player can only be as good as the team he plays for.

Football is a team sport and while a 'best player' can enhance a team he will be a 'lousy player' if the team around him is poor. Strikers don't score unless supplied. Goalkeepers don't keep clean sheet unless they have a good back line in front of them, Centre backs can't defend unless they have wingbacks.

It's a good 'pub' topic ... your round! :)
vankancisco

Considering the history of football has been well documented and recorded, there's plenty of evidence to go off - pretty much all the questions can be answered. Of course it's always difficult to compare generations, but football has evolved over the decades - the game is now more advanced than it was 10, 20, 50 years ago, so are the players. Even though football is a team game, there are occasions when an individual can rise above the expectancy of the team. Messi is a player who has undoubtedly done this game after game. Judgements can be made through a combination of statistics, analysis and expert opinion.

Return to “Football trading”