Ticks, trade time and profit

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Phileas69

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on trading and I am working on my strategy at the moment and was hoping some of the professionals on the football markets can help me with a few things?

All are based on backing the U2.5gls, U3.5gls and U4.5gls markets.

Here goes:

1. For those who work on ticks for each trade. How many ticks is normal to go for on each trade on the above markets?

2. For those who work on profit for each trade. How much profit % do you look for in each trade? Is 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% or more?

3. For those who work on time for each trade. How much time do you spend in each trade but before getting out, or does this just depend on what is happening a game?

Thanks in advance.
spreadbetting

Phileas69 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 am
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on trading and I am working on my strategy at the moment and was hoping some of the professionals on the football markets can help me with a few things?

Why are they based on the goals markets, what edge do you have over everyone else? Statistically football is very hard to find an edge.

Phileas69 wrote:

1. For those who work on ticks for each trade. How many ticks is normal to go for on each trade on the above markets?

2. For those who work on profit for each trade. How much profit % do you look for in each trade? Is 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% or more?

3. For those who work on time for each trade. How much time do you spend in each trade but before getting out, or does this just depend on what is happening a game?
1) That's basically a 'how long is a piece of string' question. You should be entering the market because you believe the price is wrong, for whatever reason, so you're effectively buying value. How much value you think you've got should determine how many ticks you want to sell it back for.

2) Again each trade is different and setting yourself set percentages will limit your profits by overexposing yourself on some markets and limiting your profit on others. Set yourself % losses per market by all means to protect your bank but some of the best advice in trading is to let your profit run and cut your losses.

3) Again assess each trade separately , most new traders grab the first sign of a profit but freeze when faced with a loss, you need to learn to do the opposite.
MemphisFlash

The answer to how long is a piece of string is, a piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the end> :D :D :D :D :D
Phileas69

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 pm
Phileas69 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Why are they based on the goals markets, what edge do you have over everyone else? Statistically football is very hard to find an edge.
Phileas69 wrote:

1) That's basically a 'how long is a piece of string' question. You should be entering the market because you believe the price is wrong, for whatever reason, so you're effectively buying value. How much value you think you've got should determine how many ticks you want to sell it back for.

2) Again each trade is different and setting yourself set percentages will limit your profits by overexposing yourself on some markets and limiting your profit on others. Set yourself % losses per market by all means to protect your bank but some of the best advice in trading is to let your profit run and cut your losses.

3) Again assess each trade separately , most new traders grab the first sign of a profit but freeze when faced with a loss, you need to learn to do the opposite.
Thanks spreadbetting for the advice. The reason for football and under goals is that I seem to do better at that and also understand it better. I know horse racing is suppose to be one of the best markets to trade, but I am struggling to see it at the moment, maybe as I am new to trading. For example, knowing when to make a move on horse's odds is not clear to me, I can see the odds going either way and certainly looks more like a gamble than backing on under goals. I would like to learn the horse racing trading and others but until it becomes clearer then maybe it better to stick what I know.

Thanks for your replies to my questions, I can see what mean with your answer to question 1, that makes sense. In regards to question 2, yes that is what I think too which is why I was wondering about exiting a trade in my other post, if a trade is going well then no point in trading out. To your answer to my question 3, yes I can see that been the difficult part, knowing when to keep trading or knowing when to trade out.

Thanks again for your advice.
spreadbetting

I can understand the reasoning behind trading sports you know but I've always found it a double edged sword as there's a temptation to hold onto your trades/opinion far too long especially when they're going against you. When you're at odds with the market you need to be very good with your predictions to profit but if you are then you'll reap decent rewards.

Sometimes having only a basic grasp of the sport is actually a bonus as you concentrate purely on the trading aspect rather than almost gambling on your own opinion. Football in play always seems attractive because we can easily predict the way a market will move, the main problem is can we get in and out at value prices without getting stung along the way and losing all our profit and more. I think alot of us trade horseracing simply because there are plenty of races and the way money enters the market means we have lots of fast moving short term fluctuations, and noise, that we can profit from without the need to be inplay and the risks that brings.
Phileas69

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 pm
I can understand the reasoning behind trading sports you know but I've always found it a double edged sword as there's a temptation to hold onto your trades/opinion far too long especially when they're going against you. When you're at odds with the market you need to be very good with your predictions to profit but if you are then you'll reap decent rewards.

Sometimes having only a basic grasp of the sport is actually a bonus as you concentrate purely on the trading aspect rather than almost gambling on your own opinion. Football in play always seems attractive because we can easily predict the way a market will move, the main problem is can we get in and out at value prices without getting stung along the way and losing all our profit and more. I think alot of us trade horseracing simply because there are plenty of races and the way money enters the market means we have lots of fast moving short term fluctuations, and noise, that we can profit from without the need to be inplay and the risks that brings.
Thanks again.

Yes, I can see how some people would look to hold onto a trade too long, knowing when to cut losses will be very important for sure. Football just makes a bit more sense to me when it comes to the odds, I know that most of the time odds will decay in the under goals market unless a goal is scored.

I would also like to get into the horse racing trading as it seems the way to go when most traders seem to go that way, however the odds markets are so fast moving it looks to scary for me as a newbie. I think trading the football first maybe a bet way to start and then move over to the horse racing. If you have any links or tips on where to learn about he horse race trading it would be appreciated. Something for dummies :lol: , find some of these guys that try to explain it on youtube videos do not always explain it so well for us newbies :D

Cheers
Dallas

There is plenty of videos on Bet Angel TV which look at trading the racing markets
https://www.betangel.tv/videos/trading- ... rse-racing
Phileas69

Dallas wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm
There is plenty of videos on Bet Angel TV which look at trading the racing markets
https://www.betangel.tv/videos/trading- ... rse-racing
Thanks Dallas, I will take look at them.
Phileas69

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for this spreadbetting. I thought I would test some horse racing today after you mentioned that so many traders traded mostly horse racing. So after watching numerous youtube videos and links Dallas posted (thanks).I decided to do a few test runs. Anyway, I tried 15 races (just for testing), and surprisingly I managed to make profits from 4% upto 32% in 12 of these races :o but I had 3 losing trades which wiped all the profit out plus some :roll:

So, from my first test then I can certainly see why most traders trade on football, however it felt a lot more like a rush then what I have been trading on football. Football for me seems to be just ticking over with my testing but it seems much safer for me for now, as I know when to react when it goal goes in. The good thing though is I know why I had the 3 losses which is means it may not be as difficult as I first imagined. However, I know there is still loads to learn and I will not be raising stakes anytime soon. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to “Football trading”