VAR

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
northbound

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 pm
Betfair have run unmanaged markets in the past and they were ghost towns, admittedly they were lower league matches but the liquidity was a lot less than the managed markets.
I agree with you that going unmanaged will probably reduce liquidity at first. But traders would adapt over a period of time.

Anything that removes regulations and makes rules less complicated, it is good in my opinion.
spreadbetting

Exchanges aren't run for the benefit of traders though, punters want that protection that bets will be cancelled when reds/goals occur they don't want to have a bet at 1-0 and have to constantly hover their finger over the cancel button. The unmanaged football markets were just staring contests with no one willing to put bets up at reasonable odds because they knew it'd come down to a fastest finger first situation once a goal goes in. I'd be very surprised if Betfair ever stick up unmanaged football markets and even more surprised if they had the liquidity in them to trade.
northbound

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 pm
Exchanges aren't run for the benefit of traders though, punters want that protection that bets will be cancelled when reds/goals occur
Understandable. But still very frustrating that because of it, new and convoluted rules get added.
Mike123

Most fair and integer would be to cancel all bets between the incident and the decision. The information regarding VAR is not distributed simultaneously to all spectators.

I suppose Betfair benefits from confusion in the markets since this results in extra turnover between bettors aware of the VAR investigation at that moment and bettors who are not aware of the VAR investigation at a certain moment.
Mike123

Betfair mentions this by themselves in the article:

“This all means many customers can have bets unfairly matched.“

So why not cancel all bets if many customers can have unfairly matched bets?
SeaHorseRacing

When you look at Premium Charge... is anyone suprised? Really?
ShaunWhite

I'm with northbound on this one. Open through to the end. Football seems to be the only market that closes as soon as anything interesting happens.

Yes the liquidity might suffer but would the volume be much different? I guess so otherwise betfair wouldn't do it.

Football var is the best new opportunity for a while, it's a shame if betfair want to stick a straw in it and suck all the fun out for the sake of some extra commission or keeping the high rollers sweet.
mobius

"Watt." "What?" "Watt!" A player has been sent off................................................. after a referee mistook his name for dissent.

Referee Dean Hulme asked Sanchez Watt, who was playing for Hemel Hempstead Town, for his name as he was about to be booked

"The referee was man enough to rectify it.

"I think everybody found it amusing afterwards - including the referee.

1 for humans 0 for VAR - machines don't have a sense of humour.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43314870
LeTiss

That's excellent. It's a shame the German player Kuntz isn't still playing
psychoff

Exactly as I expected. Another silly decision from BF as always!
Why dont they suspend horse racing events when 2 or more horses pass the finishline together? Why do the markets remain unsuspended for 1-2 minutes until the referees give their decision?
max_usted

Football var is the best new opportunity for a while, it's a shame if betfair want to stick a straw in it and suck all the fun out for the sake of some extra commission or keeping the high rollers sweet.
They're still getting it wrong quite often. You can't always predict when a referee is going to go to VAR. I had a great trade the other night in the MLS where the markets didn't close before a penalty decision went to VAR - the penalty was awarded after review (and I'd put quite a bit on the side that was awarded it during the intervening period). But they then missed the penalty. So annoying.
Simonlofc

Mainz v Freiburg all went off for Half time then got called back as VAR awarded a penalty. I cant wait for the world cup
tc_uk

I don't even think it were a penalty either.
In terms of trading, VAR has been a complete pain so far ... guess I need to go to VAR trading school ;)
Simonlofc

tc_uk wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 pm
I don't even think it were a penalty either.
In terms of trading, VAR has been a complete pain so far ... guess I need to go to VAR trading school ;)
dont say it wasnt a penalty theyll call them back halfway down the autobahn to play the sh again
max_usted

I noticed the VAR error on Monday night and so put a healthy amount (while it was obvious that a VAR was ongoing, but while the markets were still open due to Betfair's error). Mainz scored the penalty so that I made a good profit. I then 'cashed out' just as the second half kicked off.

Betfair (idiots) have decided to void all bets made from the moment the VAR began until after the penalty was taken. This means that they have debited my account for the full profit that would have accrued from my position, and have not taken into account my hedge - which according to their records is just a lay bet not associated with the initial position. This leaves me seriously out-of-pocket. It's a completely incompetent and crazy decision. So stupid.

Return to “Football trading”