VAR

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
max_usted

Football var is the best new opportunity for a while, it's a shame if betfair want to stick a straw in it and suck all the fun out for the sake of some extra commission or keeping the high rollers sweet.
They're still getting it wrong quite often. You can't always predict when a referee is going to go to VAR. I had a great trade the other night in the MLS where the markets didn't close before a penalty decision went to VAR - the penalty was awarded after review (and I'd put quite a bit on the side that was awarded it during the intervening period). But they then missed the penalty. So annoying.
Simonlofc

Mainz v Freiburg all went off for Half time then got called back as VAR awarded a penalty. I cant wait for the world cup
tc_uk

I don't even think it were a penalty either.
In terms of trading, VAR has been a complete pain so far ... guess I need to go to VAR trading school ;)
Simonlofc

tc_uk wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 pm
I don't even think it were a penalty either.
In terms of trading, VAR has been a complete pain so far ... guess I need to go to VAR trading school ;)
dont say it wasnt a penalty theyll call them back halfway down the autobahn to play the sh again
max_usted

I noticed the VAR error on Monday night and so put a healthy amount (while it was obvious that a VAR was ongoing, but while the markets were still open due to Betfair's error). Mainz scored the penalty so that I made a good profit. I then 'cashed out' just as the second half kicked off.

Betfair (idiots) have decided to void all bets made from the moment the VAR began until after the penalty was taken. This means that they have debited my account for the full profit that would have accrued from my position, and have not taken into account my hedge - which according to their records is just a lay bet not associated with the initial position. This leaves me seriously out-of-pocket. It's a completely incompetent and crazy decision. So stupid.
Kafkaesque

max_usted wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 pm
I noticed the VAR error on Monday night and so put a healthy amount (while it was obvious that a VAR was ongoing, but while the markets were still open due to Betfair's error). Mainz scored the penalty so that I made a good profit. I then 'cashed out' just as the second half kicked off.

Betfair (idiots) have decided to void all bets made from the moment the VAR began until after the penalty was taken. This means that they have debited my account for the full profit that would have accrued from my position, and have not taken into account my hedge - which according to their records is just a lay bet not associated with the initial position. This leaves me seriously out-of-pocket. It's a completely incompetent and crazy decision. So stupid.
I understand your frustration to some extent, but that procedure is pretty clearly what is explained in the link from the very first post in this thread where you're complaining about it.

You were trying to exploit a loophole, which you should have known, had the effect, it ended up having.

Whether BF's procedure makes sense is an entirely different matter, though.
Euler

Simonlofc wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 pm
Mainz v Freiburg all went off for Half time then got called back as VAR awarded a penalty. I cant wait for the world cup
World cup is going to be great fun
max_usted

Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm
max_usted wrote:

I understand your frustration to some extent, but that procedure is pretty clearly what is explained in the link from the very first post in this thread where you're complaining about it.

You were trying to exploit a loophole, which you should have known, had the effect, it ended up having.

he procedure according to their policy is that all matched positions will be voided, the markets reprocessed, before they then open.

They don't say that they will reopen the markets having *not voided* the matched bets, offer customers the opportunity to cash out, and then decide two days later that the initial position was void, whereas the 'cash out' was an unassociated position (i.e. it was a bet made differently to the way it was presented to the bettor, other than as a hedge against an initial position).

I can understand if they were to void both positions given their failure to void, settle and reopen the markets "within five minutes" as per their policy - but to void one but not the other is unfair given that they do not manage to abide by their stated policy principles (i.e. to void, then reprocess the markets before lifting the suspension).
Kafkaesque

max_usted wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
max_usted wrote:

he procedure according to their policy is that all matched positions will be voided, the markets reprocessed, before they then open.

They don't say that they will reopen the markets having *not voided* the matched bets, offer customers the opportunity to cash out, and then decide two days later that the initial position was void, whereas the 'cash out' was an unassociated position (i.e. it was a bet made differently to the way it was presented to the bettor, other than as a hedge against an initial position).

I can understand if they were to void both positions given their failure to void, settle and reopen the markets "within five minutes" as per their policy - but to void one but not the other is unfair given that they do not manage to abide by their stated policy principles (i.e. to void, then reprocess the markets before lifting the suspension).
Wow, just wow! I stand corrected.

You should have led with it being voided two days laters. I just thought, you went a few days before venting about it here and it had been settled/voided within the timeframe of the match after you hedged.

I guess the lesson learned, for all of us and the hard way for you unfortunately (and I do understand your frustration, even more so now), is not to speculate on loopholes, where policy and administration of said policies is fairly new to BF. Counting on common sense and customer service on their part is rarely adviseable, sad though it may be.

It is a worrying sign on a larger scale, with those two days to settle/void. I'm seeing a lot more weird things on the football markets especially. Matches being suspended and put inplay too early or too late, and an increasing number of matches not being managed live, even in big matches in the US, China, Denmark, Norway to name a few. Hopefully blips and not - further - signs of them not prioritising the exchange.
Hola_Gringooooo

max_usted wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
max_usted wrote:

Totally agree. If they decide to void the bets then fine but what they are doing is making extra commission from all this void bets. I placed 4 bets on Mainz vs Freiburg. Hedged after the goal. Paid the commission on the winnings and yesterday they debited my account with more then I actually won.Practically paid commission twice.

During Rennes vs Marseille played on 13/12/2017 I had an open position on U3.5 goals. Score was 2-1 for Rennes.11 minutes after i opened my position, Min 62 of the match, a Rennes player hit the bar but the line judge advised the referee that it was a goal. Score changed to 3-1. Var called into action. Goal dissallowed. Score back to 2-1. Betfair did not open anymore the U3.5 market. I look at my statement and see a reversal decision from betfair returning my full stake into my account. Practically i did not have a bet anymore on that market.Why did they return my stake back into my account and not let in play as i was in profit? Betfair reopened the U3.5 market 6 min after the Var review but i left that game alone knowing that i do not have a bet anymore as the last info showed in my statement. Game finished 2-2. After the game finished betfair deducted my stake again from the account. The way they are dealing with Var situations is only on their benefit. That's it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tc_uk

I see I benefitted from the Belenenses v Sporting Lisbon game as a losing trade has been credited to my account by betfair due to a late suspension.

However, if they don't sort out how they are going to deal with VAR fairly and quickly, it will get to the point that trading football will become too risky as you simply won't know what trades you have in play at any moment if there has been a VAR situation. I won't trade under those circumstances as you won't know whether you will need to close positions or not. A recipe for disaster if you ask me as you have the potential to lose a lot of money from no fault of your own.

What are the other exchanges like in relation to this?

Return to “Football trading”