Sunderland

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
brimson25

1. I'll admit I'm a Sunderland fan.

2. They are really, really bad this.

3. I look at the 1.22 lay price tonight at Fulham and...

4. A mug punter thought surfaces. Sometimes teams that are already screwed at the end of a season pull out a remarkable result. That's almost certainly confirmation bias as I have no stats to back it up.

5. How much worse can things get, after all? Lets play!

6. Maybe 1 - 5 is nonsense. Can someone wise bring me to my senses before I lose £2?
LeTiss

You're right, sometimes teams do find a bit of form once relegation has been confirmed.
Wolf1877

Sunderland have been awful this season with just the odd glimpse of a decent performance.

They played very well at Wolves to get a 0-0 when Coleman first came in and remain the only Championship team that Wolves havent beaten at least once this season. They have given us a pitiful away fan allocation to Wolves for the final game of the season though!

Brilliant performance at Derby the other week which showed some real fight and a possibility of a great escape from relegation which then faded to nothing. It does prove there is some talent in that side. The young lad who scored on his debut at Derby looked a decent prospect.

Fulham are a very good team and on a roll having only dropped 10 points since mid-December though 4 of those 10 were dropped in conceding sloppy late levellers at home to QPR and Brentford recently. I cant see Fulham dropping points in this one with them needing to keep the pressure on Cardiff. Save your money or trade it!

Commiserations on "doing a Wolves" with a double relegation to the 3rd tier. Been there, got the T-shirt (twice).
LeTiss

"Doing a Wolves"

Don't tell him that, because if my memory serves me well, Wolves actually had a triple relegation to League 2
brimson25

Cheers, all makes sense. You must be optimistic for next year?
Wolf1877

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 am
"Doing a Wolves"

Don't tell him that, because if my memory serves me well, Wolves actually had a triple relegation to League 2
Correct ..... and I witnessed it ....... didnt want to overload the thread with 1980's trivia though!
Wolf1877

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am
Cheers, all makes sense. You must be optimistic for next year?
Yes very optimistic. Need to keep Neves though as we may have a battle this Summer though he his fairly settled. Not that we are a one man team. Best Wolves team since the early 1970's and on a par with them.
Euler

You have my sympathy. It must have been a nightmare season, I can feel your pain. Fulham still pushing though, so you would have to think that will be enough incentive. What with that at moving to Wembley next season :)

But mid-table teams would be a different scenario you feel.
brimson25

Thanks for the sympathy. I feel you're right about Fulham, too.

(My pain is somewhat softened by a £40 bet I placed on August 5th 2017 at 10s on them to be relegated, which I subsequently completely forgot about until the money crashed into my account, and I couldn't work out what had happened.

But only somewhat.

I actually believe Sunderland's problem is geographic. Good players don't want to live in the North East. So, you either have:

1 - An excellent manager, whose excellence attracts players (see Newcastle)
2 - You over-pay clapped out drunks who treat the club like a joke (see Sunderland)
3 - You acknowledge that this country is absurdly London-centric and you build a training ground in London? Or at the very least a more attractive northern city (Manchester or Liverpool?)

Maybe that's heresy, but something needs to change.
max_usted

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:25 am
1. I'll admit I'm a Sunderland fan.

2. They are really, really bad this.

3. I look at the 1.22 lay price tonight at Fulham and...

4. A mug punter thought surfaces. Sometimes teams that are already screwed at the end of a season pull out a remarkable result. That's almost certainly confirmation bias as I have no stats to back it up.

5. How much worse can things get, after all? Lets play!

6. Maybe 1 - 5 is nonsense. Can someone wise bring me to my senses before I lose £2?
Obviously, Fulham very much tend to win, and I think there's a pattern of them scoring winning goals in the second-half. A bit like Brentford at the moment. If you're thinking of laying them, in my view it's not a terrible idea to lay them and then back them if they aren't winning about 60 minutes in.

I have never watched Sunderland this season, clearly they have some good players and are capable of being competitive, they just seem to be an absolute disaster area though, always conceding last minute goals, getting players sent off, etc. My guess would be a real problem with morale, therefore (which seems to be the defining characteristic of quite a few relegation teams, where they aren't actually worse man-for-man or in terms of creating chances than their mid-table competitors).
brimson25

You're absolutely right. When confidence collapses, anything that can go wrong, does. Same in trading, same in football.
BetScalper

Well, I'm a Newcastle fan, so I will keep very quiet. :)

But I have layed Fulham for £50 in the hope that the price may move if Sunderland can score early or it looks like ending in a draw. Then I will just greenup around 2 or so.
brimson25

It's tempting but they could be 3 nil down in 5 minutes...
max_usted

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:49 pm
It's tempting but they could be 3 nil down in 5 minutes...
Agree. it's a difficult match to predict. I'm going to watch - my initial thinking is to back Fulham if they go up to about 1.6 but may amend depending on how things go.

(Will probably end up doing what I always do which is setting my position too high and then get very frustrated when Fulham score while the odds are at a lower price).
BetScalper

1.19 now.

Something's looking very strange here.

Its almost like the market thinks Sunderland won't even bother taking the field etc.

When has a team been that low before a ball has even been kicked.

Its not Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Return to “Football trading”