Backtesting a strategy on the O/U goals markets

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
arbitrage16

Hi guys,

If I have a couple of strategies I want to test on the Overs markets for 0.5, 1.5, 2.5 goals markets - what is the best way of testing these?

Would it be live testing in practice mode? Or is there a way of testing the strategy over markets that have already taken place.

thanks!
ShaunWhite

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am
Would it be live testing in practice mode? Or is there a way of testing the strategy over markets that have already taken place.
"Backtesting" is testing against historical data using something like Excel. Live or Practice mode is just regular testing.
xitian

To test on historical matches, you either need to be able to program or hire a programmer you trust. Are you hoping to bet pre-game or in-game?

Testing in a simulation mode is fine, but it would take time to confirm whether your strategy works or not (as opposed to just back-testing over 3 months of historical games, say). Also tweaking your strategy and knowing its effect is hard to do using live simulation. With back-testing you can tweak a strategy and then re-run over the same 3 months of data to see what difference it would have made. With live simulation you're always using new data so you can't really answer the "what-if" questions.
arbitrage16

thanks for responses. I have used other software in the past but it's incredibly clunky to use and I was hoping there might be a better alternative out there.

otherwise I think it'll be testing out some strategies in demo mode, but as you say, it's a fairly slow process to find games that will fit my criteria
ShaunWhite

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 pm
I was hoping there might be a better alternative out there.
You won't find better than BA :mrgreen:
Try and get into Excel, the stuff you can do with Excel<->BA is really cool. Collecting data, analysing results, triggering bets etc.
arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 pm
it's a fairly slow process to find games that will fit my criteria
It'll be even harder soon. Although I've heard there's a little kickabout in Russia soon that might be worth a look ;)

Return to “Football trading”