Does England have any chance to win the World Cup?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
dt888

I can see England getting to the quarters this time, but I would be amazed if we go any further than that with Brazil or Germany likely to be in our way at that point
OnGoldWires

Lest we forget Leicester City won the PL at 5001!

But even in 66, we weren't that good. We won because Brazil got kicked out of the tournament literally and because West Germany via a dodgy linesmen's decision, couldn't take us to penalties.

And Italia 90 - we were lucky rather than good.

We are cursed with being far better than most international teams (so they park the bus) but just not good enough to beat the best.

I reckon our FIFA World Ranking is about right 13. Which means we should expect to get to the last 16 on average.

However in the last 16 - group G play group H and that looks a little weak(Poland, Columbia, Senegal, Japan). We should be able to progress to the quarters, where meet teams from Groups E or F - likely to be Brazil or Germany!. Is it worth speculation beyond that?

Beaten Quarter Finalists. The only nagging doubt I have is we have such a good record against Poland w11 d7 l1 - and that loss was 1973. They are just bound to beat us if we come up against them in the last 16.
superfrank

OnGoldWires wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:01 pm
Lest we forget Leicester City won the PL at 5001!

But even in 66, we weren't that good. We won because Brazil got kicked out of the tournament literally and because West Germany via a dodgy linesmen's decision, couldn't take us to penalties.

And Italia 90 - we were lucky rather than good.
The 66 side were worthy winners imho.

Agree with Italia 90 comment (best World Cup ever apart from the final) - we were garbage up until the semi final when we suddenly turned it on, but we'd used up our luck in the earlier rounds. I remember watching that match in a pub in Streatham aged 20 and I was distraught at the end.

Leicester won the PL because of team spirit, belief and playing to their strengths - no chance of England doing that. They all think they're much better than they really are.

Shame Italy aren't going to be there this time - it doesn't seem right that.

Return to “Football trading”