Southampton fans

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 am
Let's hope Ralph is inspirational enough for players to up their game.
Maybe I was a meaner boss than most but whenever I had a team member that needed 'inspiring' I'd remind them that they should be inspired by the idea they might not get a pay check next month. Usually did the trick and if it didn't they got the heave ho. Let's face it none of the Soton players would be especially hard to replace so shut up and shape up, or ship out. Or maybe HR need to pander to their delicate little souls and arrange a team building day flower arranging to 'inspire' them.
Euler

Well, the Cardiff game is quite pivotal. They are playing a bit better all of a sudden, but it may be too early for Ralph to have any influence over that result. Anything has to be better than Hughes. I've forgotten what a home win is, I'm sure it exists somewhere?
brimson25

Yes, Portsmouth. :D
Euler

Looks like the profanity filter blocked my response to that.
brimson25

Sorry! (It's quite similar to the Newcastle/Sunderland situation - I'm on the lower league, not getting humped every week side of that. Not sure which is better, really).
Euler

I was chatting to a Sunderland fan the other night and was reflecting with him how much fun the lower leagues are and how depressing the premier league is. It feels more like a 'how few games can we lose this year'
brimson25

I know a Middlesborough fan who doesn't want to go up for the same reason.
ShaunWhite

The Saints manager, 51, has sent free drinks vouchers to season ticket holders for the Premier League match against Arsenal at St Mary's on Sunday.

What a knob. What message does that send? Half the FA are trying to clean up football (again!), the other half don't seem especially bothered.

It's Xmas ffs, how about free tickets for season ticket holders' the kids, or the OAPs. :roll: Yes, just what the modern game needs, the image of it's association with booze strengthening, well done Halfanoodle.
LeTiss

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I thought it was a decent gesture from the new manager. When you see the numbers queuing up for a pint in the concourse, it's a good move to get them on side with a free pint
BetScalper

Children and OAPs should be charged a nominal fee: £5 per game, all year round.

Clubs get most of their incomes from other sources being TV rights etc.

My mate took both his sons to a Chelsea game and it cost him £130 before travel, food and drinks. Shocking.
Euler

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:40 pm

I thought it was a decent gesture from the new manager. When you see the numbers queuing up for a pint in the concourse, it's a good move to get them on side with a free pint
Well it certainly heated up the atmosphere, so maybe doing each game may get some betters results ;)
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:40 pm

That's what it was all about, getting the fans on side who would tend to be more vocal, pure self interest rather than being a 'decent gesture'. Afterall there were many other ways he could make a decent genture, funny how he chose that one. I hope you kept the voucher, use it if he gets results, and tell him to shove it if he doesn't. He must think you're all mugs if he reckons he can buy your affections.

As usual I look like the Grinch, but I'm not quite so impressed by a voucher for £2.
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm
He must think you're all mugs if he reckons he can buy your affections.
Most people can be 'bought' in some form or another they just don't realise it :)
LeTiss

Totally disagree with Shaun on this - football fans spend fortunes on tickets, and when your team hasn't won a home match all season, it becomes tiresome. He wanted to lubricate the voices of the more vocal supporters, as a good atmosphere gives you an extra man

I cannot see anything wrong with that at all. Fans like to feel appreciated, and being bought a pint goes a long way
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 pm
Totally disagree with Shaun on this - football fans spend fortunes on tickets, and when your team hasn't won a home match all season, it becomes tiresome. He wanted to lubricate the voices of the more vocal supporters, as a good atmosphere gives you an extra man

I cannot see anything wrong with that at all. Fans like to feel appreciated, and being bought a pint goes a long way
The price of your loyalty has gone down a lot, it used to be £350m a week, now its a pint. ;)

I do understand what you mean, on the surface it seems logical and harmless and probably is. But with the ink still wet on the pages of the newspapers carrying stories about the lubricated voices of so called fans, it just seems like a cheap badly timed stunt, to me.

Gotta say there doesn't seem to be much spirit in the Southampton fans (excuse the pun). Judging by the comments on the forum, half of you sound like you'd be happy in the lower leagues and the other half won't get behind their team unless they've been bought a drink. I'd rather watch my lot lose to the best in the world every week (and I do) than win 1 nil against village teams. We've done the whole prem exit thing too much, it's not a relief, it's crap. Shouldn't take a drink to get you singing.

We'll see how things go at Huddersfield, he might be getting those pint glasses back full of a different amber liquid. :)

Return to “Football trading”